Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help identifying Tori nonaka shoes

bruised lee

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wore Salomon Speedcross 3 at IDPA Worlds. I have wide feet and i Wore a pair that were 1/2 size up. My feet felt fine at the end of each day. Traction was great. I highly recommend the Salomons. Zappos.com has a good selection as do some of the REI stores. I had a pair of Innovas and they just hurt my feet by the end of the day. I hope this helps.

if anyone is interested in the Mudclaw 272s, runninwarehouse has them on sale for $79 plus an additional 25% off with code "FB25D" which brings the total to 59.91 SHIPPED via UPS 2 day air.

Edited by spanky

I had a pair of Innovas and they just hurt my feet by the end of the day. I hope this helps.

That's the first time I've ever seen or heard of that. These mudclaws are the only shooting shoes i've ever worn HOME from a match because i didn't have to take them off after a day of shooting.

just my unsponsored, unbiased opinion.

Edited by spanky

I do a lot of trail running in Colorado (during summer i'll put in 20-30miles a week with about 15miles in the mountains) and had a pair of INOV-8 about 2 years ago, They were good at first but after 3 months the out sole wore almost flat, it still had OK traction, but it was very noticeable going down hill, I had one of my worst falls on a steep trail with them, Not blaming the shoe but i lost traction on a slippery incline and fell (rolled) about 6 feet downhill had a bit of road rash. after I say 8 months those shoes were done, they probably had maybe 400 miles of trail, back country running on them. For running wise, I payed $140 for them when it came out, I of don't think it was worth the money. thats my opinion .

I do a lot of trail running in Colorado (during summer i'll put in 20-30miles a week with about 15miles in the mountains) and had a pair of INOV-8 about 2 years ago, They were good at first but after 3 months the out sole wore almost flat, it still had OK traction, but it was very noticeable going down hill, I had one of my worst falls on a steep trail with them, Not blaming the shoe but i lost traction on a slippery incline and fell (rolled) about 6 feet downhill had a bit of road rash. after I say 8 months those shoes were done, they probably had maybe 400 miles of trail, back country running on them. For running wise, I payed $140 for them when it came out, I of don't think it was worth the money. thats my opinion .

So they last 400 miles. Lets see, my normal running practice, divided by 400...they should last me 798 years!

So they last 400 miles. Lets see, my normal running practice, divided by 400...they should last me 798 years!

lol, well to be fair, I blow out alot of running shoes(or did..) in a 6-8 month period, but generally I'll have a recorded 500+ miles on them before I'll replace them.

lol, well to be fair, I blow out alot of running shoes(or did..) in a 6-8 month period, but generally I'll have a recorded 500+ miles on them before I'll replace them.

You don't mention what model they were, either... And, yeah, the load we put on the shoes for shooting is quite a bit different from trail running and the like. I've had a couple of pairs of Inov-8 f-lite 230s for a year or so - I use them to work out in (CrossFit work outs - variety of activities). Both are showing normal, expected wear, and are holding up well given the stress they're put under, and how light weight and thin the shoes are... I wouldn't begin to compare that back to the use I put the Mudclaws through in shooting, though.

The Mudclaw - like any other fell running shoe - is designed for soft surfaces (mud, wet grass, Double Tap Ranch in the early spring or fall... ph34r.gif). The surface of the outsole is a soft rubber designed to hold traction under those conditions - it's that same property that allows them to retain traction on surfaces like concrete and wood that tend to give regular cleats fits. The trade off is wear on abrasive surfaces - and so far, they're doing surprisingly well in this area, too. I've got a year on them, including a lot of practice on hard, rocky surfaces, and they've still got a lot of life left in the soles. Aside from being dusty (and having the end of one shoe lace chewed by one of my dogs... dry.gif), the uppers are basically perfect. Like Jeremy, I find them to be quite comfortable all day long... Other than specific fit issues (which any shoe can have with any given person), I'm not sure what else you'd want...

You don't mention what model they were, either...

Oops, sorry they were inov-8 Roclite 318 GORE-TEX, i'm not sure they even make them anymore. But I bought them for the purpose of Running on the trails, not for shooting and to me they fail short just because of the price point vs how fast they wore out.

Edited by DocMedic

if anyone is interested in the Mudclaw 272s, runninwarehouse has them on sale for $79 plus an additional 25% off with code "FB25D" which brings the total to 59.91 SHIPPED via UPS 2 day air.

thanks spanky, ordered pair today :cheers:

I know I'll get teased about the red :devil: shoes

thanks spanky, ordered pair today :cheers:

I know I'll get teased about the red :devil: shoes

mine match my shirt. :cheers:

r75er47fzgb56m3wwre.jpg

thanks spanky! the code did not work but the sale price was great already.

thanks spanky! the code did not work but the sale price was great already.

yeah, i forgot to mention it only lasted 25 hours (iirc). You'll love the shoes.

• 2 months later...

Normally I don't go out for specialized USPSA equipment. I like a webbing belt, some NorthFace trail runners which I always rock anyways, my trusty Carhartt pants, two safariland 079s for mags, a Safariland 5187 holster, and my G17 with a stock trigger and 10-8 sights. But my club's range is in a flood plain, so you can guess what a little rain does to the range.

I was thinking about getting the Mudclaw 333s or even the Bare-Grip 200s for better feel, but then I saw 6pm had a sale on the Mudclaw 270....

...I feel like I'm going to have to buy some red shirts, but I guess winning is a lot better than keeping my shoes not too flashy.

FYI for all you people trying to guestimate sizes, try RunningWarehouse.com. If you already have a pair of running shoes, chances are you'll be able to do a comparison. Great feature and I will be buying from them in the future.

Edited by PistoleroJesse

• 3 weeks later...

Normally I don't go out for specialized USPSA equipment. I like a webbing belt, some NorthFace trail runners which I always rock anyways, my trusty Carhartt pants, two safariland 079s for mags, a Safariland 5187 holster, and my G17 with a stock trigger and 10-8 sights. But my club's range is in a flood plain, so you can guess what a little rain does to the range.

I was thinking about getting the Mudclaw 333s or even the Bare-Grip 200s for better feel, but then I saw 6pm had a sale on the Mudclaw 270....

...I feel like I'm going to have to buy some red shirts, but I guess winning is a lot better than keeping my shoes not too flashy.

FYI for all you people trying to guestimate sizes, try RunningWarehouse.com. If you already have a pair of running shoes, chances are you'll be able to do a comparison. Great feature and I will be buying from them in the future.

Wish I would have found this Amazon Deal sooner <_< . $50 shipped is pretty darn cheap.

good thread. I have narrowed it down to the Inov8 270 mudclaws...or the Salamon Speed cross 3's. I have used North face Hedgehog mids, and thought they were great, although not nearly as an aggressive design as the Inov or Salomons. I have also used the Nike Landsharks, but always look forward to taking them off at the end of the day. Plus the Nike are terrible for running on smooth or flat surfaces.. (wet wood, flat hard earth...heal toe walking does not go well)

I see someone else has the Talons...I see 212's available in my area,...but the mudclaw 270 is out west only.

If I go by the chart on the INOV8 website...the section under sole lists the X-talon as having more traction on hard surfaces (I assume that could mean wet wood surfaces) over the mudclaws...where as the mudclaw would win out on soft ground. They are equal in the loose material..( I assume loose material would be gravel and sand, and soft would be grass and mud)

Edited by Mo Hepworth

I wear a 12.5 EEEE b/c I need a very wide toe-box, really need a 12 but wear longer to get more room. This isn't an option for me b/c I've already had foot surgery from wearing shoes that were a little too narrow for most of my life. Shoes that are too narrow for a day cause me to limp for two weeks. After reading much of this I think that most people's definition of wide isn't really wide! Unfortunately my heel width is more like a D, but I have to make sacrifices to keep the ball of my foot happy.

I wear these for competition: NB910 They have OK traction but not as good as I'd like, but New Balance seems to be the only manufacturer that sells EEEE shoes, especially in 12.5. I look at other competitors Soloman and really cool shoes with envy. I'd love to find a great pair of shoes with a very aggressive sole that has an extremely wide toe box.BTW. In New Balance the SL-2 designation work for this situation.

Edited by sidnal

I see someone else has the Talons...I see 212's available in my area,...but the mudclaw 270 is out west only.

If I go by the chart on the INOV8 website...the section under sole lists the X-talon as having more traction on hard surfaces (I assume that could mean wet wood surfaces) over the mudclaws...where as the mudclaw would win out on soft ground. They are equal in the loose material..( I assume loose material would be gravel and sand, and soft would be grass and mud)

What about the MudRoc 290s? They may not be as great on loose, but they look more durable (much like the Mudclaw 333s vs Mudclaw 270s), are the same on hard, and have the dual curve heel which helps shooting on the move.

Edited by PistoleroJesse