Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3G1 vs Stag 3G

fastarget

Not to high jack anyones thread, but after shooting the FNH match last week I realized that my carbine is not going to cut it. I was thinking of purchasing a Stag 3G and either a Burris MTAC or XTR. From reading the few threads on the Stag it sounds like I wouldn't have to do anything to it. In addition it might be while and maybe never that I could outshoot the gun.

Does this make sense to you more seasoned shooters? Is it worth it to spend the extra money for the XTR or could I get by just as well with the MTAC. Finally scope mounts you might recommend?

I did look at the DPMS as well, but I like the features of the Stag better.

Thanks

I have a couple Burris Tac30's which is very similar to the MTAC. I have one on my backup Model 3G actually. I haven't spent a lot of time behind it yet but I know it will get you all the hits you need in 3 gun. Plus its nice to start with an entry level optic and try other guys scopes at matches so you can see and shoot what else is out there before you drop a bunch of money.

I'd be interested in a 3G left-hand upper but looks like Stag only sells the complete rifle.

I'd be interested in an upper, too.

I'm curious - what's the difference between the 3G and 3GL?

post-4855-0-68451000-1321487064_thumb.jp

The Model 3G uppers should be out really soon. I'd give you a date but they never seem to be right. I'd expect them within 30 days.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested in a 3G left-hand upper but looks like Stag only sells the complete rifle.

I'd be interested in an upper, too.

I'm curious - what's the difference between the 3G and 3GL?

post-4855-0-68451000-1321487064_thumb.jp

3GL left hand ejection port. Set up for those among us that are saddled with the burden of left handedness.

That only costs an extra 20 bucks? Sheesh. They should hang at least an extra grand on it to make up for the oddball-quotient <g>

I picked up the DPMS early this year and shot it in a number of matches. I have been very happy with the performance and have not had a problem with the balance. I have had a number of fellow competitors comment on how flat it shoots. The comp and additional weight must be working. I think it is what you get used to. It is very accurate and 100% reliable. I do not have any experience with the Stag but it sounds like another solid performer. Be patient breaking in the barrel and you will have a tack driver either way !

Stag is sending some certificates for uppers, and a rifle for the Colorado State MG Championship, so our stands to reason uppers should be available soon. Thanks STAG!

The triggers come down to what you like, your style and what you want to feel. One of the things I like about ARs. If you are getting a complete rifle, try the triggers before you buy. CMC and the new Jard drop-in are very nice as well.

The Stag 3G has a lot of features I'm looking for in a 3 gun rifle. And after my experience with my first AR build, I know I'm not fond of front heavy ARs which is why the fluted barrel and heavier ACS stock would make me pick the Stag 3G over the DPMS. Just a few questions, what charging handle does the 3G come with? And I thought there's an option to purchase the Stag 3G with the Dueck Defense RTS? When you're on the Stag website and place the 3G in your cart, there's no options available. Anyone know how much more it would be with the sights and when it would be available?

It's got a stock charging handle and triggerguard. I was actually bit surprised they didn't put a Magpul MOE Triggerguard on it since it has so much other Magpul stuff on it. Both are easy to change at the user level, but I've seen more than one receiver screwed up by someone swapping triggerguards without skill.

The Stag 3G has a lot of features I'm looking for in a 3 gun rifle. And after my experience with my first AR build, I know I'm not fond of front heavy ARs which is why the fluted barrel and heavier ACS stock would make me pick the Stag 3G over the DPMS. Just a few questions, what charging handle does the 3G come with? And I thought there's an option to purchase the Stag 3G with the Dueck Defense RTS? When you're on the Stag website and place the 3G in your cart, there's no options available. Anyone know how much more it would be with the sights and when it would be available?

PM coming.

The Stag Arms Model 3GH and 3GL uppers are now available on the Stag Arms website. Be sure to use promo code JT0608 when ordering for 5% off.

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_44&products_id=403

Anyone have picks of the fluted barrel with the handguard removed?

I'm gonna take off my handguard tonight hopefully to do add an adjustable gas block to do a little testing with the new Model 3G. I'll be sure to snap a few pics. I'll try to post them here but I can email them to you as well so they can be larger. Just send me an email remember to Jessetischauser@yahoo.com please.

I have a 3GL. It's my first AR and I am quite inexperienced with the AR platform as a whole, so I can't really compare it to anything. But, I really do like it. New-guy opinion to follow. Read with full skepticism:

The compensator on it makes follow on shots much quicker. The extended handguard is a plus, in my opinion. It gives you plenty of room to hang toys underneath it and still have room to put your hand flat under the rifle should you choose to do so, or to extend your arm along the barrel.

Isr1238 made a comment earlier that I think applies to this gun. It does seem a bit front heavy. The longer barrel, the compensator plus the handguard tend to push the center of gravity forward. I'm right handed; but shoot left. So this plays to my strengths a bit since my dominant hand is supporting the rifle. The standard shooter may have some trouble with this if you are carrying it for an extended period of time.

I have a Burris Tac-30 1x-4x on top and I went with the Dueck Defense Rapid Transition Sights. More toys to come, I'm sure.

Just my completely uneducated opinion on the subject. I'll let you know more after I shoot a match with it and/or get more trigger time.

If you still want pics of the barrel, let me know. It's down at the ranch at the moment but, I can post some as soon as I get it in front of me.

Kalani and Jesse - thanks for putting out the info on the 3G. It looks to be very well spec'd and a good buy.

Do you know how much the barrel weighs?

Looking forward to the pics with the handguard removed when you post them on the forum.

Kalani and Jesse - thanks for putting out the info on the 3G. It looks to be very well spec'd and a good buy.

Do you know how much the barrel weighs?

Looking forward to the pics with the handguard removed when you post them on the forum.

Wow, thanks for the pics! Yes, support told me that ER Shaw made the barrels also. I'm really impressed with the STAG so far and if I decide to buy a complete gun (which will be soon), this is at the top of my list. Thanks for all the honest opinions and information...

Does anyone know what the weight of the upper is?