Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3G1 vs Stag 3G

fastarget

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not held the stag yet, but the DPMS is super front heavy. HEAVY barrel, heavier hand guard (than the stag) and a super light MOE stock. A lighter barrel and heavier stock would improve it greatly. But it does come in at a rather low price.

If the stag has a thinner profile barrel they will have a hit, if not then well they were dumb not to offer a truly competitive gun. The Stag hand guard is def lighter, and has a heavier and much better contoured stock. So the balance could be better as long as they do not screw the pooch with some heavy ass barrel.

I was rather bummed when I found out that stag did not use their new chrome bolt in the gun, it would have been a very nice addition.

Edited by bpipe95

I have not held the stag yet, but the DPMS is super front heavy. HEAVY barrel, heavier hand guard (than the stag) and a super light MOE stock. A lighter barrel and heavier stock would improve it greatly. But it does come in at a rather low price.

If the stag has a thinner profile barrel they will have a hit, if not then well they were dumb not to offer a truly competitive gun. The Stag hand guard is def lighter, and has a heavier and much better contoured stock. So the balance could be better as long as they do not screw the pooch with some heavy ass barrel.

I was rather bummed when I found out that stag did not use their new chrome bolt in the gun, it would have been a very nice addition.

Sounds like they try and make them inexpensive and miss the mark of having truly great competitive guns by a few bucks..........DPMS will correct I have a feeling, they have lighter contoured barrels, and they must be hearing enough about the front weight bias.

I have read that the dpms seems more accurate than the stag.

The dpms uses their Mk12 barrel, it is a stainless unit made by Wilson. I am willing to bet the stag is a Wilson unit due to stag using wilson units in other guns.

That said, a wilson is a wilson and they should be darn close to each other accuracy wise.

Edited by bpipe95

Disclaimer up front: I shoot for STAG Arms and spent 2 months developing the final design of the 3G rifle. That being said, I'll try and be as objective as possible.

I own both rifles. I have shot about 400 rounds with the DPMS and about 3000 rounds out of the STAG.

Both rifles are similar on paper. Adjustable stocks, aftermarket triggers, FF handguards, 18" 1in8" SS barrels. Main differences include Magpul CTR v Magpul ACS, JP trigger v Geissele trigger, 12" v 15" FF handguard. Choose your flavor.

Both are accurate. I can shoot sub MOA with both rifles with 69gr SMK over Varget. I can hit anything out to 650 yards with both rifles.

The STAG handles a little different than the DPMS. The combination of a lighter handguard and full fluted barrel on the STAG rifle makes the rifle feel less "front heavy" than the DPMS. Good for shorter stages, but I personally like a little more weight to the front of the rifle for the long range, supported rifle shots.

Both companies support 3Gun. DPMS has been around a lot longer and is a great company whom I support and have sent a lot of business to, especially since they introduced the 3G1 rifle. However, STAG has jumped into the 3Gun market with both feet. They have been a Gold sponsor or a high level sponsor at just about every Major since Rocky Mountain 3G.

In the end, I would say try and get your hands on both rifles and see which works better for you. If you ever see Jessie or myself at a match, we would be glad to let you put some rounds down range. I know Jesse has even loaned out a rifle for a whole match so the shooter could get a better idea of its true potential.

Hope this helped.

Kalani

Jessie and I are encouraged to look for the competitive edge. We are constantly T&Eing new product. STAG Arms does not want to be complacent or sit on their hands. They have been very receptive to design improvements from the team.

Jessie is running a Titan brake on his rifle. I believe he is using a lightened carrier and maybe an adjustable gas block.

I prefer to use a Rolling Thunder brake on barrels 18"+. I like the recoil impulse produced by the rifle length gas tube combined with a stock carrier.

Kalani

That Stag rifle looks like a winner. I have not shot either rifle but my overall experience with Stag has been excellent. I have used several of their uppers on builds for friends and they all work well. All I end up doing to them is staking the gas key with a MOAKS tool and staking the castle nut and adding a BCM extractor upgrade kit. My personal experience with DPMS carbines has not been as good so I would definately go with the Stag.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Disclaimer up front: I shoot for STAG Arms and spent 2 months developing the final design of the 3G rifle. That being said, I'll try and be as objective as possible.

I own both rifles. I have shot about 400 rounds with the DPMS and about 3000 rounds out of the STAG.

Both rifles are similar on paper. Adjustable stocks, aftermarket triggers, FF handguards, 18" 1in8" SS barrels. Main differences include Magpul CTR v Magpul ACS, JP trigger v Geissele trigger, 12" v 15" FF handguard. Choose your flavor.

Both are accurate. I can shoot sub MOA with both rifles with 69gr SMK over Varget. I can hit anything out to 650 yards with both rifles.

The STAG handles a little different than the DPMS. The combination of a lighter handguard and full fluted barrel on the STAG rifle makes the rifle feel less "front heavy" than the DPMS. Good for shorter stages, but I personally like a little more weight to the front of the rifle for the long range, supported rifle shots.

Both companies support 3Gun. DPMS has been around a lot longer and is a great company whom I support and have sent a lot of business to, especially since they introduced the 3G1 rifle. However, STAG has jumped into the 3Gun market with both feet. They have been a Gold sponsor or a high level sponsor at just about every Major since Rocky Mountain 3G.

In the end, I would say try and get your hands on both rifles and see which works better for you. If you ever see Jessie or myself at a match, we would be glad to let you put some rounds down range. I know Jesse has even loaned out a rifle for a whole match so the shooter could get a better idea of its true potential.

Hope this helped.

Kalani

100% class act right there. Thank you for the info. I too am a huge fan of Stag products, am looking forward to shooting one of these at some point.

I swapped out the original stock on my DPMS 3G for a Magpul UBR stock and it seems to balance out the heavier barrel. I have at least 5K rounds thru it and love it. Acurate out to 600 yards with 75gr Privi Partisan match ammo. I have not touched the trigger or any other part. It is a little on the heavier side but it helps keep the rifle steady when you go prone or shoot off a wall or fence.

I have been looking, there is about a 200 dollar difference between the two models.

How does the Giessle trigger feel compared to a JP, I have JPs but have never tried a Giessle.

I have shot both and prefer the Geissele Three gun Trigger. For starters it has a fixed pull weight so there is no adjustments to come loose over time. The pull breaks cleanly and it allows me to fire the gun faster on close in targets than I can with any other trigger I have tried. Both are good triggers. You should probably try both in other peoples guns at a match if you can.

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

Hope this helped.

Kalani

This review is why Kalani is the Anchor of Team Stag Arms. Good job man!

Based on some quick Internet searches it looks like the street price of the Stag is around $125 above the DPMS. That difference is from the longer 15" handguard which IMHO is a mandatory item, the Stag trigger is more expensive, the Stag stock is more expensive. So what you have here from two of the biggest black rifle manufacturers is two off the shelf race ready guns. You just have to decide which one has the most accessories that you like.

I changed out my stock because I could get my cheek weld right with the angled sides on the magpul unit. I use the ACE SOCOM (L) currently.

I ran a Young lightened carrier at Rocky Mountain this season and then switched to a JP unit. I also run a lightened buffer.

I also use a larger Ergo Deluxe grip.

My comp of choice is the Lund.

This off season I am going to try an adjusts me gas block as well and see how that feels.

Holler at me anytime with questions.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Not a bad thing, looks like both rifles are great out of the box, best of all, you get a good foundation at least that seems to be easily updated , upgraded and modified.

Exactly! I don't know anybody that doesn't make changes no matter what brand they start with which is what makes the platform so much fun.

Not a bad thing, looks like both rifles are great out of the box, best of all, you get a good foundation at least that seems to be easily updated , upgraded and modified.

Exactly! I don't know anybody that doesn't make changes no matter what brand they start with which is what makes the platform so much fun.

I'd be interested in a 3G left-hand upper but looks like Stag only sells the complete rifle.

Would it be possible for one of the stag shooters to post a pic of the gun with out the hand-guard on? or post up how thick the barrel is behind the gas block?

Thanks!!!

I am going to remove a handguard very soon. I will try to remember a picture. I will also try to get you one up close so you can see it through the handguard possibly.

About a year ago I was fondling Rob Romero's rifle with a Gieselle trigger. Not impressed in the least. Lots of travel, no clean break, no interest in it. Picked up a Stag Model 3G at the FNH match. Also with a Gieselle. I don't know which model Romero was running but the one Stag drops in is freaking sweet. Feels every bit as nice as my tuned JP. I really like this rifle. I'm taking it out in the next week or so to see what the accuracy potential looks like. If it's a shooter, Stag really has a winner. For options I'll probably put in a Magpul MOE triggerguard (can't believe it doesn't already have one since it't got a Magpul stock and grip) and maybe the comp. It's got a comp from the factory. Might work, don't know. If the comp and an 8 dollar part are the only changes I need to make on a rifle from the factory, that's pretty awesome.

Not to high jack anyones thread, but after shooting the FNH match last week I realized that my carbine is not going to cut it. I was thinking of purchasing a Stag 3G and either a Burris MTAC or XTR. From reading the few threads on the Stag it sounds like I wouldn't have to do anything to it. In addition it might be while and maybe never that I could outshoot the gun.

Does this make sense to you more seasoned shooters? Is it worth it to spend the extra money for the XTR or could I get by just as well with the MTAC. Finally scope mounts you might recommend?

I did look at the DPMS as well, but I like the features of the Stag better.

Thanks

I'd be interested in a 3G left-hand upper but looks like Stag only sells the complete rifle.

I'd be interested in an upper, too.

I'm curious - what's the difference between the 3G and 3GL?

post-4855-0-68451000-1321487064_thumb.jp

3GL left hand ejection port. Set up for those among us that are saddled with the burden of left handedness.