Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3G1 vs Stag 3G

fastarget

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot my 3G for the first time yesterday - I had the same experience with the nose-diving. I shot some Wolf 55gr and GA 62gr rounds. I was about to post a topic on here about it but then saw your post. Is it that the comp is causing that or is it just us not use to it? I own several ARs and never saw this. Overall, I am loving it, especially the trigger. My group was just like yours, less than 1" for my groups. Fast double-taps at 25m was also very small group that I could cover with my palm.

When I was reading up on the 3G I came across this article and video...

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/08/29/stag-arms-3-gun-competition-rifle/

I noticed the gun dipping in the video and was trying to figure out if it was the comp or him. I decided to order another comp just in case.

Now if they'll just SHIP my freaking upper!!! :D

If all goes well I should be getting my Stag Arms 3G this or next week. and it will be outfitted with a Meopta 1-4x22 ZD scope on a LaRue SPR LT104 mount.

What are 3G users opinions on shooting Horady Steel Match ammo through it? Planned to use the 75gr bullets.

If all goes well I should be getting my Stag Arms 3G this or next week. and it will be outfitted with a Meopta 1-4x22 ZD scope on a LaRue SPR LT104 mount.

What are 3G users opinions on shooting Horady Steel Match ammo through it? Planned to use the 75gr bullets.

I have a few thousand rounds of 55gr steel match that I plan to run through my Stag 3G this off season. I'll let you know how it goes. I ran 100 or do through it this weekend at a match and had one failure to fire. I never found the unfires round on the ground to inspect the primer but I will be talking to the Hornadycteos next week at SHOT to learn more about the primers they use and how they might interact with the light triggers we use in competition rifles.

I have a few thousand rounds of 55gr steel match that I plan to run through my Stag 3G this off season. I'll let you know how it goes. I ran 100 or do through it this weekend at a match and had one failure to fire. I never found the unfires round on the ground to inspect the primer but I will be talking to the Hornadycteos next week at SHOT to learn more about the primers they use and how they might interact with the light triggers we use in competition rifles.

Thanks Jesse, sure hope the one failure to fire was a fluke.

I received a 3GH upper today and am looking forward to trying it out...but today I can't see to the end of my 200 yard range for all the snow that is falling. Its been above average warm for weeks here and the very day I need to shoot it drops into the 20's and start snowing. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Been trying to get my hands on a 3G but cant seem to find one. My problem is that I am just to cheap to order one from Stag directly, had one sourced on Cheaper Than Dirt, but they sold out before I could order it....anyone got a good lead on someone with this rifle in stock? I appreciate it!

It's tough to get one...it took me a ton of phone calls and searching but finally found one. You might try a few forum members in this thread and Gunbroker but call before buying the auction...it sells before the auction is over most of the time.

Welcome to the forum!

Been scouring other sites like AIM surplus etc..totally spaced gunbroker...dunno why...thanks for the reminder!

Update! Found a brand new 3G at the gunshow in Myrtle for $1299.00!!!!!!!!! I jumped on it..now I just need a scope & mounts! And ammo...and...and...lotsa stuff!

Edited by hacksaw556

• 1 month later...

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but a few questions about the 3G(L) model. I'm new to AR's, left-handed, and have one on order.

I'd like to sight the optic and take care breaking in the barrel (if indeed that is necessary) when it arrives. Thus I'd like to start with 55gr ammo to match the calibration of the optic. Any tips about what I should use?

Related to that, I had read somewhere that the trigger in the 3G's might too lightly sprung to light up NATO ammo primers. Is that true? Hope not. But if there's any truth to that, does that steer me away from a bunch of 5.56?

Thanks and apologies for being a rookie,

B

I break in a barrel by shooting about 50-100 rounds getting my initial zero then I clean it. Nothing special. I have not had any issues with the trigger not setting off anything. I haven't shot every type of ammo through the gun though. The trigger is light so it may not fire everything.

Try several variations of 55gr ammo. PMC is cheap and usually pretty accurate. I like black hills remanufactured match ammo, federal and Hornady make accurate stuff too. All barrels are different. You gotta find what works. All 55gr ammo won't produce the same velocities so make sure you test the point of impact of your reticle at all the aiming points with the ammo your barrel shoots best.

Thanks Jesse (amazing to get my questions answered by you). Should I go with a mix of .223 and 5.56 in 55 (and I presume you've specifically had no issue with the 5.56 with your 3G?)?

And if you have a chance, please thank Mark M. for supporting the left-handed minority.

Thanks again,

B

I break in a barrel by shooting about 50-100 rounds getting my initial zero then I clean it. Nothing special. I have not had any issues with the trigger not setting off anything. I haven't shot every type of ammo through the gun though. The trigger is light so it may not fire everything.

Try several variations of 55gr ammo. PMC is cheap and usually pretty accurate. I like black hills remanufactured match ammo, federal and Hornady make accurate stuff too. All barrels are different. You gotta find what works. All 55gr ammo won't produce the same velocities so make sure you test the point of impact of your reticle at all the aiming points with the ammo your barrel shoots best.

Edited by B!ngo

Thanks Jesse (amazing to get my questions answered by you). Should I go with a mix of .223 and 5.56 in 55 (and I presume you've specifically had no issue with the 5.56 with your 3G?)?

And if you have a chance, please thank Mark M. for supporting the left-handed minority.

Thanks again,

B

I thought more about this last night. I ran about 2500 rounds of federal xm193 through my rides and I can't remember any problems with hard primers. I have has several fail to fire with the Hornady steel match ammo with my S3G trigger in my Stag and an AR Gold trigger in another rifle. They must be using a hard primer in that stuff which is a real bummer because match ammo is usually shot by match triggers.

Thanks again,

B

I thought more about this last night. I ran about 2500 rounds of federal xm193 through my rides and I can't remember any problems with hard primers. I have has several fail to fire with the Hornady steel match ammo with my S3G trigger in my Stag and an AR Gold trigger in another rifle. They must be using a hard primer in that stuff which is a real bummer because match ammo is usually shot by match triggers.

Thanks Jesse. Yes, this is the kind of thing I was referring to. But I thought I read (or perhaps just assumed) that these 'hard primers' were NATO-spec 5.56. I haven't checked, but I didn't that that the Hornady you referenced was NATO spec. Can't imagine that any match-rated ammo is spec'd that way. But you've helped a lot. Not as big an issue as I thought. But it seems that there are a few to avoid. Wonder if there is a way to figure it out before buying a particular type?

The Hornady is definitely not NATO spec. R u looking for competition ammo? I think you are worried about a non issue here. The S3G trigger isn't any lighter than the other match triggers out there and this is the first time I've had or read anything about NATO ammo not working with them. If your looking for good 3 Gun ammo off the shelf take a look at PMC. It's brass cases under $300 case and can get MOA or close to MOA accuracy out of it. The 5.56 NATO stuff is usually more expensive and less accurate.

The Hornady is definitely not NATO spec. R u looking for competition ammo? I think you are worried about a non issue here. The S3G trigger isn't any lighter than the other match triggers out there and this is the first time I've had or read anything about NATO ammo not working with them. If your looking for good 3 Gun ammo off the shelf take a look at PMC. It's brass cases under $300 case and can get MOA or close to MOA accuracy out of it. The 5.56 NATO stuff is usually more expensive and less accurate.

No need for competitive ammo at this time. Just something to get started. Just didn't want to end up with a bunch that would not work properly but that seems like a non-issue. The PMC stuff looks like the best for now. Thanks again,

B

The Stag Arms 3 Gun competition rifle is an excellent rifle. The Geissele S3G trigger has to be the very best trigger on the market. And the Sampson 15-inch Evolution handguard is light and comfortabele. However the Stag 3Gun Super Comp makes the rifle very uncomfortable to shoot. It pushes the barrel down and to the right making the rifle difficult to control. This comp is simply not effective in reducing felt recoil and muzzle rise. Stag Arms has to redesign this muzzle brake or use one of the many effective ones available on the market. But comp aside it is a much better product than the DPMS Panther 3-G1.

The Stag Arms 3 Gun competition rifle is an excellent rifle. The Geissele S3G trigger has to be the very best trigger on the market. And the Sampson 15-inch Evolution handguard is light and comfortabele. However the Stag 3Gun Super Comp makes the rifle very uncomfortable to shoot. It pushes the barrel down and to the right making the rifle difficult to control. This comp is simply not effective in reducing felt recoil and muzzle rise. Stag Arms has to redesign this muzzle brake or use one of the many effective ones available on the market. But comp aside it is a much better product than the DPMS Panther 3-G1.

I've heard that as well. As a 'new' AR shooter (but a long-ago rifle shooter) I was assuming it was going to be a subtle issue for experts and not one for someone with my long-forgotten skills. But, now that you mention it, do others agree? Is there consensus on a replacement? Not even sure how it's secured on the 3G. Screwed and pinned? Just screwed and loc-tite? Regardless, I'll still just shoot it for a while to determine the gravity of the potential issue, but might as well learn as much as I can.

And thanks.

B

An otherwise excellent AR is destroyed by the use of the inferior Stag Arms Super 3 Gun comp. I cannot understand why they use this ineffective and far inferior comp. Stag Arms has otherwise put together a superior AR far better than anything else out there in the price range. The comp/muzzle brake is screwed on with loctite. You can apply heat and it will screw off easily.

A good comp will move slightly within the target in a small circular motion allowing a quick and accurate second shot. The Stag Arms 3 Gun comp will take you off or almost off the lower right portion of the target slowing the second shot considerably.

Reviews of the Stag Arms Super 3 Gun comp including one done by an expert writer for a national publication agree with above. This unsatisfied and unhappy customer returned my Stag Arms Super 3 Gun comp to customer service and am hoping that they stand behind their product and do me right !

Edited by Puma

An otherwise excellent AR is destroyed by the use of the inferior Stag Arms Super 3 Gun comp. I cannot understand why they use this ineffective and far inferior comp. Stag Arms has otherwise put together a superior AR far better than anything else out there in the price range. The comp/muzzle brake is screwed on with loctite. You can apply heat and it will screw off easily.

A good comp will move slightly within the target in a small circular motion allowing a quick and accurate second shot. The Stag Arms 3 Gun comp will take you off or almost off the lower right portion of the target slowing the second shot considerably.

Reviews of the Stag Arms Super 3 Gun comp including one done by an expert writer for a national publication agree with above. This unsatisfied and unhappy customer returned my Stag Arms Super 3 Gun comp to customer service and am hoping that they stand behind their product and do me right !

Please let us know how they handle it.

I've heard that as well. As a 'new' AR shooter (but a long-ago rifle shooter) I was assuming it was going to be a subtle issue for experts and not one for someone with my long-forgotten skills. But, now that you mention it, do others agree? Is there consensus on a replacement? Not even sure how it's secured on the 3G. Screwed and pinned? Just screwed and loc-tite? Regardless, I'll still just shoot it for a while to determine the gravity of the potential issue, but might as well learn as much as I can.

And thanks.

B

As far as how the comp is on, it depends on the model you have. Most are on with just loctite. If you have the resticted, 10 rnd model with the fixed stock, the comp is pinned on. I found out the hard way :(

I definitely will let you know how Stag & Arms treats me as far as my returned Stag Arms 3 Gun Super Comp. It is defective in that it is useless. But all indications from talking to Stag Arms customer department on the telephone is that they stand behind their products and will do me right. I have no reason to think otherwise. They promised that they were going to send me a new ( effective ) modified comp. If they keep their promise I will give them future business. Their 3 Gun AR-15's are definitely excellent other than the comp.

Replacement compensators that I would recommend # 1, Titan and # 2, Spikes,. I have both of these on AR's and they are effective. The Titan is the flattest but a little noisy.

With all due respect- you're being a little dramatic considering it's just a comp. Just because something works for me doesn't mean it will work for you. I haven't tried the Stag 3G comp, but I can't imagine something so simple as an easily replaced screw-on muzzle device "destroying" a great 3 gun upper.

If Stag replaces it with another comp, I say they go above and beyond in customer service, but I personally wouldn't fault them for saying "that's what comes on the rifle."