Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited or Open

OperationHitFactor

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the OP, many shooters including myself will go through 1-2 open guns before figuring out what works for the shooter. Jumping into a CUSTOM build open gun may not be the most logical solution. Do more research on different builds and ask other shooters at local matches to try different setups to figure what works best for you. When you figure out the right setup for an Open gun, the mentioned smiths will build you exactly what you need to be successful at this sport.

Edited by Dis-1-Shooter

and I would agree with the majority here, go open first.

Hmmm... I'd say if the OP wasn't posted in OPEN , the majority may be different ....

I am positive I would've got different responses in another area. I posted here, because I knew I was going to make the move to open at some point. I just wanted to hear from open class shooters if I should be patient and wait to make the move. I wanted to know if they would've made the jump sooner or stuck with the front sight before the dot. Didn't want to spark a debate about which was better, but rather pose the question what is a better foundation for learning the sport.

I started in l-10 for less than a year before someone handed me an open gun and it was all over after that. Shot Open for a few years exclusively, now I'm playing with Limited and SS.

Shooting open will give you a tremendous amount of feedback on your grip, stance. It can be overwhelming at the start. But once you learn your index, how to get the dot to track predictably, it will all come together. Open will force you to drive the gun, move faster, transition faster.

Now you will have to decide what style open gun you want.

Well if you really got your heart set on shooting Open then go for it. Just bear in mind it's going to cost you at least $5,000.00+ to get started. If you don't have the money then don't do it half assed! Shoot what you have until you have the money needed to get into Open. Remember not only the gun, you will need a top of the line holster that works with your open gun, mag pouches, belts, at least (2) 170mm 29+1 or 30 reloadable & (4) 140mm mags. The mags have to function all the time that means setup for your gun & ammo. Reloading costs could get expensive depending on caliber you choose i.e. 38 super, 38 Super comp you will need Starline brass for reliablity. 9mm major use brass once & discard, maybe twice if you have real good brass. If you shoot 9 minor then you loose points on anything less than an "A" hit. It takes a season or two to find out if Open is for you. It is not as easy as it looks.

I'm an old guy (66)& shoot USPSA Open "C" class & L-10 "C" class, & IDPA ESP "Marksman", also shoot in a Steel League "B class". Do shoot a Steel Challenge once in awhile Open & .22 cal. All my guns are custom built & run as reasonably flawless as possible (spent the bucks necessary to get the guns there). One of the most important things in Open is RELIABILITY, also a flat shooting gun with accurate loads. Guns & mags must perform every time regardless whether the shooter is performing at his/her best or not. Reliability equals many dollars. Trying to shoot Open "CHEAP" equals frustration, poor performance, and dissatifaction plus a waste of money.

I'm not trying to discourage you from shooting Open but, if you don't have the bucks, wait until you do, otherwise you will be sorry.

I was just told by one of the top GM's that people won't reach their full potential without shooting open. So I sucked it up and bought one of those crazy contraptions. If figured since he's been winning nationals since I was born, I'd listen to him.

Well if you really got your heart set on shooting Open then go for it. Just bear in mind it's going to cost you at least $5,000.00+ to get started. If you don't have the money then don't do it half assed! This is the only thing I will agree with you on!cheers.gif Remember not only the gun, you will need a top of the line holster that works with your open gun, mag pouches, belts, at least (2) 170mm 29+1 or 30 reloadable & (4) 140mm mags. The same is true of a high end Limited rig.The mags have to function all the time Same for Limited that means setup for your gun & ammo. What exactly does that mean? A good Open gun will run with any good mag except in the case of the newer iteration of SV vs. STI mags. Most 9mm mags need spacers which are $8 each. Reloading costs could get expensive Aside from the super guys who buy brass 40 costs more to load. depending on caliber you choose i.e. 38 super, 38 Super comp you will need Starline brass for reliablity. I pick up 38 stuff for my shooting buds and it's not all Starline and their guns run 100% 9mm major use brass once & discard, maybe twice if you have real good brass. I shoot 9MAJOR and I have reloaded some Federal brass at least 5 or 6 times. It takes a season or two to find out if Open is for you. Really? I have had my gun just this season and I knew day one Open was for me. It is not as easy as it looks. I lied. I'll agree with you on this 100%. Open can be a bit of a challenge but it is not the voodoo magic many seem to think.

Sorry, but I just don't buy these arguments. It costs almost as much to get into as high of quality Limited gun. Sure you can shoot a G35 with a DOH and do fine in Limited but you can also build an Open Glock pretty cheap.

Get an Open gun if you are even remotely thinking about it. And if you have the money buy a new one from a builder. I do see guys buy used ones that will have little bugs that need to be fixed. I wanted no part of that so I bought a new one and never looked back.

When you shoot open, expect things that sometimes it will not go perfect. Open guns, even from best gunsmiths, will jam. not because of the gun, but with combination of different things. mags, ammo, equipment, new stuff that you wanted to try on.

this applies from open to revolver. for open, its just different. dont let this disappoint you, you'll sort it out and you'll be fine.

Another thing when going open is your ammo (reloads). you have to dial that in too.

That is the process I have gone through. I was lucky I was able to sort all of these in about 2 matches.

Open is a drag race, mental game at its finest.

Have fun!!

UPDATE!

Well first of all I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to respond. I started searching for open builds and after looking over a lot of great guns... I couldn't pull the trigger. I will have a full on custom built open build with all the bells and whistles one day, but used is too risky. For me personally, I would rather spend the extra money and get a gun built from the frame up. Used open builds just have too many question marks??? :unsure: In the end, I found the deal of the century on an old SVI limited build and have decided to dedicate myself to shooting limited for next season.

A friend of mine offered me a deal on one of his back up guns. So, for a little over $1000 dollars. I got an SV and 4 SV Mags Tuned with springs, pads, and followers. With a deal like that and with almost no risk. I couldn't pass and the decision was made. After about 750 rounds with not even a burp. I knew I made the correct decision, because this thing shoots like a dream. Just switching over to the 2011 platform made an immediate difference with my ability to shoot faster and more accurately. I'll post a couple pics below.

By the way, switching over to Enos forum has been way better as well. For now, I'll keep checking the open topics and learnig for this year then make the jump to open next.

Thanks

Here is the gun. I don't believe it was built by SVI, but this is a quality build. Nobody really knows where it came from or who built it. About 10 different people have owned it through the years. Runs like a top, very accurate and a very nice trigger.

post-33357-0-96379300-1320253755_thumb.jpost-33357-0-67208200-1320253735_thumb.j

I went right into open, and priced myself out too quick. I could NOT stop tinkering with my gun, or selling this open gun for that one. Granted, that was part of the fun for me, I realized I was wasting too much of my time tinkering, and not enough shooting. I was also spending a lot of money on my load.. quite a bit actually.

I made the switch to production, and built my gun up to where it needs to be, and leave the damn thing alone. Production is also a better fit for me from a work standpoint...

Open is a TON of fun, and I say if thats where you want to shoot.. do it!

In the end, I found the deal of the century on an old SVI limited build and have decided to dedicate myself to shooting limited for next season.

Good choice ! LOL !

You didn't want a long dust cover? Just wondering , long dust cover or even a tungsten guide rod , won't make a difference for my shooting.

In the end, I found the deal of the century on an old SVI limited build and have decided to dedicate myself to shooting limited for next season.

Good choice ! LOL !

You didn't want a long dust cover? Just wondering , long dust cover or even a tungsten guide rod , won't make a difference for my shooting.

Yeah, I do prefer the look of the long dust cover, but I don't mind the standard either. As far as the difference in performance... Who knows??? Maybe, it's better. Give me a long dust cover and a tungsten guiderod so I can let you know.

Good choice ! LOL !

Yeah, I do prefer the look of the long dust cover, but I don't mind the standard either. As far as the difference in performance... Who knows??? Maybe, it's better. Give me a long dust cover and a tungsten guiderod so I can let you know.

Its all about preference, my preferece is the lightest open gun, but when it comes to Limited I like a fat girl, Edge uncut slide full dust cover, steel guide rod, the tungsten just messes up the balance. I always dreamed about a Brazos then a friend let me shoot his, great gun and Bob is a great builder, but I'll stick with my Berthabutt fat girl Edge.

BCrane didn't try that many open guns, I went thru 5 in my first year, actually buying and selling I made money, but I did find out what worked for me, after 3 years I had a gun built, and the buying itch faded, I still look but don't buy, like being married at the mall just looking. If you do get your first open built, then never ever shoot anyone elses gun, you could just fall out of love. That Fred Craig gun was no risk, very nice piece if you like poppel holes, and I don't,

Now you got it shoot it and post some video.

The usual rule with Open guns is anytime you shoot somebody else's gun or load, it feels better than the one you currently shoot. ;)

At the end of the day, to quote a prolific poster here, pick one and practice.

My 2 pennies:

If you look at practical shooting as a hobby & sport, shoot open.

All other divisions have some sort of limitation on the gear and in open, all you really need to be sure of is your bigstick fits the gauge. There is something I just find enjoyable about shooting a 26 round stage without a mag change.

I started out in open with a borrowed gun. Shot some Limited & Revo but always gravitate back to open.

Now days, I shoot trap mostly and when I do get a wild hair and want to shoot pistols, it is one with a dot.

The challenge is the same. The difference is in the details.

The idea that you need to be faster or more accurate shooting open is BS.

In any division, competition is about being faster and more accurate. Of course it isn't that easy.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot limited for over 5 yrs and i tried my friends open gun STI TRUBOR last weekend and HOOLAAA am so inloved, i should bought one long time ago... Didnt work for me on the match but i can work on it when i got mine... Short story is... Soon i got home i called this company FGW and order my new open gun...

OPEN GUN ALL THE WAY!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, folks.

Here's a question: I shoot IPSC Production and 10m air pistol (nearly 2 years altogether), and often think about shooting Open division although most of my training is on air pistol this year. Is it worth going into Open division if I'm shooting minor power factor? Does the current generation of Open handcannon compensators mitigate .40S&W recoil well enough for me not to be to concerned about the transition to major PF? I'm talking about .40S&W because this is the most common factory major load in my location. In local matches almost everyone shoots 9mm, except a tiny handful of Open and Modified shooters who shoot .40S&W. When I look at the scorecards, I see why they do and consider the cost issue to be the main reason underlying the preference for niners.

And once I compete a bit in the Open division, will I want to stay in Production division? I ask this as someone who went into IPSC mainly to improve his combat pistol shooting, got addicted to the sport and hopes to transfer his skills from his IPSC pistol (CZ SP01 Shadow) to his everyday carry pistol (CZ SP01 Phantom). I am also trying to apply my skill in 10m air pistol to IPSC production in terms of shot calling, trigger work and mental tuning.

Any inputs are welcome.

Just another thought from my previous one.

Build an open gun on a STI frame. If you want to shoot limited then just build a 40 S&W top end and have it fitted to your frame. Then you can shoot open & limited. Of course you would have to buy 40 S&W mags. Building a top-end is a hell of alot cheaper than building a complete limited gun.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, folks.

Here's a question: I shoot IPSC Production and 10m air pistol (nearly 2 years altogether), and often think about shooting Open division although most of my training is on air pistol this year. Is it worth going into Open division if I'm shooting minor power factor? Does the current generation of Open handcannon compensators mitigate .40S&W recoil well enough for me not to be to concerned about the transition to major PF? I'm talking about .40S&W because this is the most common factory major load in my location. In local matches almost everyone shoots 9mm, except a tiny handful of Open and Modified shooters who shoot .40S&W. When I look at the scorecards, I see why they do and consider the cost issue to be the main reason underlying the preference for niners.

And once I compete a bit in the Open division, will I want to stay in Production division? I ask this as someone who went into IPSC mainly to improve his combat pistol shooting, got addicted to the sport and hopes to transfer his skills from his IPSC pistol (CZ SP01 Shadow) to his everyday carry pistol (CZ SP01 Phantom). I am also trying to apply my skill in 10m air pistol to IPSC production in terms of shot calling, trigger work and mental tuning.

Any inputs are welcome.

for your purposes, i would say go ahead and shoot open minor in 9mm. I did something very similar, started out in singlestack and wanted to learn how to become a better/faster shooter. Open allows you to focus on your entries/exits, shot calling, transitions and splits. Theres much less stage planning that needs to be done compared to production/singlestack as well as reloading so you can focus on other aspects of the game. I shot open for 3-4 months, shooting limited now and singlestack occasionally. I think i still prefer the singlestack, fits my hand better and my shooting with that gun matches my limited times/points so its been a worthwhile learning experience. You should already used to be shooting for alphas as well, shooting production, shooting open minor does not change that. Now if your in the top 5 at every match, major may be the way to go.