Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

21 rounds in a 40 glock mag?

spanky

I know it can be done as I've seen it and been told what was used but I don't know the specifics.

I was told that "old" glock 357 mags with arrendondo basepads were used but I'm not sure which 357 tubes were used.

Anyone here have a clue?

I had one I made that would go 21 just to see if I could but just wasn't worth it. Follower was modified and the spring was the factory spring. Barely held 21 but to feed it needed 165 grain blazer aluminum ammo to keep the weight of the ammo at a min due to the way underpowered mag spring. Mag was not very reliable at all as the slide would come so close to outrunning the mag spring

Is it really a deal breaker if they only hold 20, that is 2 and a half arrays under current rules. My Arrendondo's hold 20 but they aren't reloadable except at slide lock. There is almost always some where to do a reload so I am not going to hack up the follower for an extra round only to have the rounds jam in the mag. There are times when if it aint broke don't fix it.

Is it really a deal breaker if they only hold 20, that is 2 and a half arrays under current rules. My Arrendondo's hold 20 but they aren't reloadable except at slide lock. There is almost always some where to do a reload so I am not going to hack up the follower for an extra round only to have the rounds jam in the mag. There are times when if it aint broke don't fix it.

Iam in the same boat.. My dawsons will hold 20, but are only reloadable when the slide is back..

no, not at all. but if i can have one or two that hold 21 giving me 22 for an 18-22 round stage it's all the merrier.

I've got two magazines with Arrendondo bottoms and extremely modified followers that will hold 20. But, and it is a big but, they are not reliable. Saturday at the Gator I started one stage with one, and encountered a type of malfunction (FTF) that I never had before. The round that failed to feed was almost stright up and down, and teh sides of the case were generally paralell to the sides of the mag. I've tried Wolff springs and ISMI springs and even Arrendondo followers, and have problems when loading over 18. I have Dawson bases with moderately modified followers and ISMI springs which although they will only (I never thought I would refer to "only" holding 18) hold 18, function flawlessly. After taking about 10 seconds to get that malfunction cleared, I went with Dawson bases and 18 rounds for the rest of the match and never had a malfunction. I was still pretty slow, but not because of the magazines.

Wow. My Dawson padded mags are holding 19 easy(reloadable) and 20 to start if I need to.

I can fit 20 in mine with the Dawson base pads. I only load 19 in them though, the gun runs better for me. 20 at the start is good enough for me, I am used to shooting Lim 10 and Production anyways. :roflol:

Interesting, my arredondo base pads all easily hold 20 reloadable. They are more like 20 and 1/2 capacity. I didn't think it would take much to get that extra 1/2.

This is my experience as well with the Arredondos... I have at least 10 set up like that

• 4 weeks later...

I use the Taylor-Freelance brass floor-plate and I can get 19 in one and 20 in the other. The 20 round mag will not reload unless at slidelock. I like them because of the additional weight the brass gives me. I suppose if I knew someone with a mill they could take a few hundreds off the bottom of the floor-plate and get me to 20 rounds with no FTF problems but I'm going to Open and Glock makes a 165mm 22 round mag now. I talked to Robyn at Taylor-Freelance and sent him a mag, he's looking into slightly modding a bling floor-plate to see if an extra round or two can be added without breaking the Open 170mm mag length rule. I'll post a thread when I know. Happy Thanksgiving to all! :cheers:

Spanky, yes it can be done. Best bet for reliabiltiy is a non-drop free mag and a Taylor Freelance base pad. I use the new followers modified by trimming just a few mm off the back wings. I use a new ISMI +5 spring unmoddifed. I have also milled out the inside of the TF basepad. I assembly the mag minus the spring and follower and use a micro grinder with a sanding wheel through the mouth of the mag to smooth the transitions from the pad to the magazine body. I use a barney mag to load and then put in the 21 rounder. I have used it in a total of 10 courses of fire over 10 years. I have 2 with TF pads that hold 20 reloadable with the older style basepads. The new ones all go 20 reloadable with no mods. I use those quite a bit more. While I like the Arredondos for many reasons, the TF pads, made of acetal are much more rigid and can be hogged out without making them prone to blow out. IF you angle grind the top of the NDF mags, they will drop free with 4 rounds or less in the tube BTW.

I know Robin has a few of the old TF NDF pads around: http://www.taylorfreelance.com/ bottom for the page.

I have a few NDF magazines if you want to try it yourself, LMK and I'll send you a magazine. Just a thanks for all your posts on stages and Sketchup.

...but I'm going to Open and Glock makes a 165mm 22 round mag now.

Just FYI, those mags were not reliable for me at all. I tired all sorts of modifications with stock, +1, +2, and +4 pads. My understanding is they were made for a LE contract, the agency had reliability issues and so Glock sold them to the general public. 15 round bodies with +8 TF pads were 100% reliable for me.