Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Shooter Shoots IDPA and Has a GOOD Time!

Mitch Harrington

Since I was in the Fort Worth area for a gun show, I decided to shoot the Sunday night IDPA match in Dallas. This was my first IDPA match. What an awesome experience!! I met a great group of guys and gals who were friendly and made me feel welcome. I followed the rules, received 0 procedurals (my goal for my first match) and had a great time. I just considered the different rules, and trying to remember them while shooting, to be a challenge to my overall shooting ability. I even managed to finish in the middle of the pack shooting a 2.5" revolver. ;)

I've read quite a few negative posts regarding USPSA shooters shooting IDPA matches. I suspect attitude has a lot to do with it. I would like to encourage more USPSA shooters to try IDPA. As long as you show up with a positive attitude, ask questions about their rules and follow those rules, I don't see how you can't have a good time.

Thanks to all the Dallas area IDPA shooters that made me feel welcome and made my first IDPA match a great experience.

Mitch

Edited by Mitch Harrington

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attitude between IDPA and USPSA shooters seem to be getting better over the past few years, at least in Florida. We have a lot of shooters who shoot both games on a regular basis and look at both as similar games with different rules.

As in almost every thing you do in life, it is the people that you meet that will make or break the experience.

I've shoot some IDPA and it was OK. Different rule set and that is probably the biggest issue. It seems that a lot of IDPA rules are loosely enforced and subjectively so. This from shooting several state and local matches and a National or two.

My home club runs both however I rarely get to the IDPA here as there are several other USPSA matches on the same day.

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Attitude between IDPA and USPSA shooters seem to be getting better over the past few years, at least in Florida. We have a lot of shooters who shoot both games on a regular basis and look at both as similar games with different rules.

Same thing here in Massachusetts, crossover is growing.

I shoot a bit of both and find good and bad shooter attitudes in both sports. I will say the hardcore dedicated IDPA shooters seem to be more open to trying USPSA and do not seem to be "rules snobs" but some of the USPSA shooters are "rules snobs" who show a lot of disdain for IDPA. Very few local USPSA shooters have even tried IDPA becase of that attitude -but some that have seem to have enjoyed it.

Good on you for being open minded ehough to give a shot (pun intended :rolleyes: ) and enjoying it. :cheers:

Edit to add: To be clear we have a lot of local cross over shooters but many if not most started out as IDPA shooters as far as I know. However, I have only been shooting in the area for a few years so I may have some facts wrong.

Edited by Rob Tompkins

I find the IDPA group to be a lower stress set of people. There's no fits thrown when things go wrong. On the other hand the USPSA guys tend to be more proficient shooters with a better ability to go fast.

You get out of it what you put into it. And yes, its all about attitude...

Lower stress? Really? ARE YOU F@#KING CRAZY! WHO THE HELL DO YOU SHOOT IDPA WITH? I SHOOT WITH A BUNCH OF AX WIELDING PSYCHOPATHS THAT WILL KILL IF I EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT YELLING "COVER" WHILE THEY ARE SHOOTING! RELAXED MY ASS!

Whew...sorry about that. I am one of those "low stress" guys, too. :blush:

Since I was in the Fort Worth area for a gun show, I decided to shoot the Sunday night IDPA match in Dallas. This was my first IDPA match. What an awesome experience!! I met a great group of guys and gals who were friendly and made me feel welcome. I followed the rules, received 0 procedurals (my goal for my first match) and had a great time. I just considered the different rules, and trying to remember them while shooting, to be a challenge to my overall shooting ability. I even managed to finish in the middle of the pack shooting a 2.5" revolver. ;)

I've read quite a few negative posts regarding USPSA shooters shooting IDPA matches. I suspect attitude has a lot to do with it. I would like to encourage more USPSA shooters to try IDPA. As long as you show up with a positive attitude, ask questions about their rules and follow those rules, I don't see how you can't have a good time.

Thanks to all the Dallas area IDPA shooters that made me feel welcome and made my first IDPA match a great experience.

Mitch

In my area for the most part the same group of people shoot both. There are only so many matches and you can't be picky.

Pat

Same thing here in Massachusetts, crossover is growing.

Jar.i under stand about the crossover comment,as in cross dressing???since my son started shooting more USPSA,i decided to get him some custom spandex shorts to wear to make him go faster..... :ph34r: And by the way he is doing quiet well crossing over..ha!

My experience pretty much echos what Rob said. I think guys who like to shoot, and appreciate the games and the competition of it, enjoy both games. I will say I see a lot more "IDPA" guys who also shoot USPSA than the other way around. That being said, I can't think of many top level IDPA guys who don't also shoot USPSA. I have found, in my area, the IDPA guys are generally more laid back, but like others have said, it all depends on the people. While I am probably an IDPA first guy, I love shooting USPSA also.

I look at the rules difference as a challenge, much like a memorization stage in USPSA. Throw a 2.5" revo into the mix and I'm not sure how I can find a more challenging/enjoyable shooting experience.

I'm not sure the comment above about USPSA shooters "throwing fits" is necessary nor does it help to stop the animousity between the two sports.

I shoot a bit of both and find good and bad shooter attitudes in both sports. I will say the hardcore dedicated IDPA shooters seem to be more open to trying USPSA and do not seem to be "rules snobs" but some of the USPSA shooters are "rules snobs" who show a lot of disdain for IDPA. Very few local USPSA shooters have even tried IDPA becase of that attitude -but some that have seem to have enjoyed it.

Good on you for being open minded ehough to give a shot (pun intended :rolleyes: ) and enjoying it. :cheers:

Edit to add: To be clear we have a lot of local cross over shooters but many if not most started out as IDPA shooters as far as I know. However, I have only been shooting in the area for a few years so I may have some facts wrong.

What do you mean by "rules snobs"? You mean they WANT to follow the rules?

I stopped shooting IDPA because several SOs had their own interpretation of the rules...and those interpretations seemed to change from month to month. I'll take consistency anyday.

Edited by remoandiris

remoandiris, i can most certainly agree with that..maybe the new tiger team process will help out with the interpretations with the current rulebook or a new one..comments have been made for idpa to take a hard look at the USPSA rule book also..

I think what Rob meant by "rules snobs" is that sometimes USPSA shooters find some of the IDPA rules counter intuitive (using cover, acceptable reloads, etc.). Some folks like the structure of IDPA while others prefer the freedom of USPSA. Either way and unfortunately, you're going to have schmucks in both games. In my experience, it is the people involved that will steer shooters in one direction or the other, sometimes leaving a bad taste. It is also my experience that those who truly love to shoot and compete, are also students of the games, and aren't swayed by bad experiences with the people involved.

I stopped shooting IDPA because several SOs had their own interpretation of the rules...and those interpretations seemed to change from month to month. I'll take consistency anyday.

This, plus I run into a healthy disdain for a OWB Kydex holster and big (but still fits the box) magwell.

I'm called a gamer and it hurts. :devil:

I think what Rob meant by "rules snobs" is that sometimes USPSA shooters find some of the IDPA rules counter intuitive (using cover, acceptable reloads, etc.). Some folks like the structure of IDPA while others prefer the freedom of USPSA. Either way and unfortunately, you're going to have schmucks in both games. In my experience, it is the people involved that will steer shooters in one direction or the other, sometimes leaving a bad taste. It is also my experience that those who truly love to shoot and compete, are also students of the games, and aren't swayed by bad experiences with the people involved.

Dave put it in polite words. On both sides of the isle I hear "xxxx rules are better because yyyyy" that is what I mean by a "rules snob". As to enforcement, IDPA does have some rules that are subjective (cover, FTDR, rnd dumping, etc.) as does USPSA (e.g., foot faults w/ significant advantage 1 PE total vs 1 PE / shot). As an official (IDPA or USPSA) gains experence, yes their understanding and application of the rules may change. We are all human and have human faults (at least I do). Don't get me wrong, I can understand how a shooter who started with USPSA could find IDPA rules restrictive, perhaps to much. Plus the number of subjective rules in IDPA can make is seem random

Any one can prefer one over the other or even chose to shot only one and not both, that is not a problem but to bad mouth the other sport (rules, officals, or shooters) does neither one any good.

I think there is a lot to be gained from shooting both, each tests similar but differnt skills in diffenerent ways.

I may get crucified for this, but so be it. There is some truth to what remoandiris has said here. But, IMHO, it is only a minor flaw. If you shoot IDPA in different areas and different parts of the country, you learn that you are always asking SO's from match to match and even stage to stage as to how they are going to call certain situations. To me, it is almost part of the game. Questions like "Am I in cover here?"; and "must I retain the mag as long as it stays in the car/drops in the bag?"; I'm sure others have lots of examples of these types of questions that go on at a major match. I understand how that could be frustrating to some folks. Personally, I enjoy it. I know that there are a number of subjective IDPA rules, I also know that in IDPA there is not near as much room for creative stage planning as there is in USPSA. Therefore, I try to look for any and every advantage within the rules, or more specifically, within the current stage SO's interpretation of the rules. I have at some matches been permitted to do things that would have certainly earned me a PE at other matches, all depends on the SO. I would liken it somewhat to golf, where each course may have different hazards and out of bounds areas, and each course requires you to play it a little differently. I think most SOs are pretty consistent with the general rules, it's the smaller details that can at times be subject to interpretation.

Disclaimer: I relay this story purely for the comedy value. If you figure out a way to play Tiddly-winks with a handgun, make sure that I get an invitation! I hold no ill will for any shooting sports.

I generally enjoy both "GAMES", but have to bite my tongue often when confronted by "that guy" (You know, the one with the bandoleers of .223 ammo that cover his "Run...ZOMBIES ARE COMING" t-shirt).

My first IDPA match, I met that guy. His first words to me, after seeing my Spyderco, was a derisive "IPSC shooter, huh?".

Not wanting to be out-of-place, I checked out his gear. 1911 in a straight-up Kydex, CHECK. Double mag pouch with Wilson 47Ds, CHECK. Fixed-blade Rambo-sized knife in a sheath immediately in front of said mag pouch, HUH???

So I looked at him, put on my dumbest hick accent (I'm originally from Eastern North Carolina, so it comes easy to me) and said, "Yep...might be an IPSC shooter, but at least I don't have to worry about jamming a knife blade through my right hand while doing a reload!". He gets in a huff and leaves.

After the shooter's meeting, I go to my first stage. Guess who's on my squad...Yep, HIM! He doesn't speak to me for the rest of the match, but that knife got moved in a big ol' hurry.

We get about 4 stages into the match and that stage requires the shooter to "rescue" a baby and shoot the rest of the stage strong hand only. (It was a doll; they're not THAT realistic!) After the extremely detailed Stage Briefing, I decide that it's time to step it up a bit and lighten the mood. I ask, "Okay, so like, let's say, at the end of the stage, I burn it down and I am REALLY happy with my performance, so I "spike" the baby like an NFL running back and do "The Dirty Bird" dance. Is that cool?". All the IPSC shooters who know me just about die laughing. That guy is not amused in the least.

Edited by Braxton1