Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ContourHD mounting

I have a ContourHD and I really like the camera. I have used several different mounting options up to this point including mounting to my muffs, to the brim of my hat, etc. but they all end up involving using the muffs to either mount the camera or hold down the hat due to the weight of the camera. The problem is that I really don't like wearing muffs. I have custom molded plugs and prefer wearing them.

Can anyone think of a viable option for using this camera without muffs?

Spanky, that stays on you head without moving? I have a very similar setup (looks way more reckneck than yours) and the camera is heavy enough that when I run alot the hat gets pulled down too much.

On a side note what did you use for the wedge to angle it up? I used two plastic door stop wedges and some super duper strong velcro and super glue...works the same but yours looks way cooler!

Edited by caz41

Come shoot multigun and put it on your rifle!

:D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNZ7it2zXiQ&hd=1

Multigun is primarily what I shoot. That is why I don't care for muffs, I don't get a good cheek weld with the rifle or SG with muffs, or when I do it knocks them off enough that the weight of the camera on the hat shifts all my stuff around and I end up having to take the time to adjust it all.

Edited by caz41

I tried mounting the Contour to my ear muffs using the flexible strap, however, I get hot real easy during the summer and couldn't wear the ear muffs without overheating and fogging up my glasses.

I also don't like the idea mounting the camera to the bill of my hat because the weight is noticeable.

My solution was to use the supplied goggle mount and run the side of a visor thru it. It works pretty good and the weight on the side is only slightly noticeable. I only put the visor on while I shoot.

Here's a couple pictures:

IMG_0057.jpgIMG_0058.jpg

I tried mounting the Contour to my ear muffs using the flexible strap, however, I get hot real easy during the summer and couldn't wear the ear muffs without overheating and fogging up my glasses.

I also don't like the idea mounting the camera to the bill of my hat because the weight is noticeable.

My solution was to use the supplied goggle mount and run the side of a visor thru it. It works pretty good and the weight on the side is only slightly noticeable. I only put the visor on while I shoot.

Here's a couple pictures:

IMG_0057.jpgIMG_0058.jpg

That is something that I may have to try. Does the brim of the hat show up in the camera at all?

Spanky, that stays on you head without moving? I have a very similar setup (looks way more reckneck than yours) and the camera is heavy enough that when I run alot the hat gets pulled down too much.

On a side note what did you use for the wedge to angle it up? I used two plastic door stop wedges and some super duper strong velcro and super glue...works the same but yours looks way cooler!

It works perfectly fine for me. The hat doesn't move at all. Obviously your hat has to be adjustable and/or relatively snug but not bothersomely tight. You can see in the video that it's very stable.

As far as the angle, I used what I had left of some replacement holster hardware. It's basically just 1/2" or so of thick plastic tubing (like a vacuum hose) and some nuts and bolts.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a fan of the headband. I usually wear a hat when I shoot and just arap the headband over the top of the hat and around the back, lining up over the backstrap of the hat. I don't really notice the weight of the camera at all, just a tighter hat.

For my videos I usually do 3rd person as the main video and the hatcam/headcam in PIP.

Here's a video of the Multi-Gun Nationals I shot this year with an older ControrHD set on Std (480p res). I've since upgraded to a newer ContourHD camera which doesn 1080p, but I find that a bit much, huge files, lots of processing time.

I crop the PIP video, but you can still see the brim of the hat.

ExtremeShot - I like the visor idea. I might have to try that for when it gets warm again. Wearing a hat all day really gets hot unless I cut my hair real short.

Spanky - I like your hat mount. I find that having mine mounted to the side sometimes doesn't get a very good view of the targets going around a corner. I'd like to mount something straight on in the middle like that, but then it's a little higher on the heat too...

Lots of good options in this post. I still wish someone could make a 720p camera mounted to the center of some nice shooting glasses though. or just a frame that would take quality lenses, but I think technology isn't quite there yet...

I do something similar to what spanky does except i don't use the big bracket. I only use the round mount that you see in his pic. All you have to do is drill holes front and back then zip tie it to your bill. I took some material off the back/bottom of the round mount so it will angle up. Works great.

• 2 months later...

Any updated methods?

I've tried the headband (bad angle, to much hat) and attached to muffs (worked well but on wrong side of head, battery door blocking mount on left side).

A couple newer mounts out. The flex strap mount, and new 360 helmet mount. Looks like it would work well on curved surfaces.

I didn't use any of the mounts that came with mine. I used some really good velcro and laid the camera flat on its side on the brim of my hat. This kept the lens as close to my eyes as possible, so the angle is good. I used epoxy to attach the velcro to the brim. I also beefed up the velcro strap on the back of the cap so I could keep it tight without any chance of strap coming undone and the hat falling off.

Some Video here:

I am not saying that people won't make fun of you............. but it will mount great to a lightweight helmet (like a pro tech) If the helmet is the correct fit, it won't move, their is no brim to obstruct the view and the weight of the camera is nothing.

:cheers:

Good ideas here. As I move more into multigun I have moved from the muff mount to the brim, but now need to angle it up a bit. Like others I use POV + third-person video in PIP window. May try rifle mount this weekend and see how it comes out.

Good ideas here. As I move more into multigun I have moved from the muff mount to the brim, but now need to angle it up a bit. Like others I use POV + third-person video in PIP window. May try rifle mount this weekend and see how it comes out.

Be careful not to put the lens near any gas ports. :blush:

I edited it out but you see once I switch over to the pistol, the piston gas block had badly fogged the plastic lens. Thankfully I had bought the lens kit.

Edited by EvilBetty