Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Push- pull with shotgun?

highxj

How do you guys control your shotgun? I've always pulled the buttstock back into my shoulder with both hands.....mostly with my strong hand but somewhat with my weak hand as well while using it to steer the shotgun.

I've heard about the push/pull technique where you push the forend forward with the weak and while pulling with the strong hand, mostly talked about in tactical circles. Is there anything to it for our uses? I briefly tried it the other day and it did seem to reduce muzzle jump somewhat, but felt awkward as I wasn't used to it....I'm trying to keep my Benelli a bit flatter.

Lighter loads or heavier gun is about all there is. Putting the weight forward will also help some. In reality the gun is going to move especially with heavier shells and a lighter gun like the benelli. The movement really isnt that big of a deal as the shotgun is pretty much a one shot per target deal. So your moving it after the shot anyway.

"Super" Dave Harrington taught a shotgun/carbine class with Ken Hackathorn in Atlanta several years ago. I took the class and Dave teaches the push/pull and called it "driving the shotgun". The strong hand pulls back and works the trigger while the weak hand drives the shotgun to the target. It feels weird at first because it is opposite of what Grandpa taught me but once you get used to it your splits will be better and target to target should improve.

Effectively, it forces the pivot point for muzzle rise to the center of the shotgun and theoretically should reduce muzzle flip by about half. It certainly "feels" that way. When you pull back with both hands you force the pivot point to the butt/shoulder causing all the rise to be at the muzzle. With push/pull the pivot is between your hands so the muzzle goes up and the butt dives just a little...like a teeter-totter. Using this method we fired approximately 200 rounds of buckshot and slugs in half a day without even a strawberry or any sign of shoulder tenderness. In fact we intentionally fired many rounds with the buttstock an inch or so off the shoulder and some with the gun rotated horizontal with the butt laying on top of the shoulder in order to shorten the gun for close quarters work.

It is worth trying during the off-season to see how it works for you.

I pull/pull.

I know of a top ranked 3-gunner who recommends pull/spaghetti-arm. In addition to that, pump shot-gunners can't lock their supporting arm and shoot with any reasonable speed.

The movement really isnt that big of a deal as the shotgun is pretty much a one shot per target deal. So your moving it after the shot anyway.

Exactly. I don't really think it matters that much as long as your shotgun is pointed at each target, choked properly, and you do your part to keep it loaded. You can shoot well even if you weigh 100 pounds with less than a grown woman's upper body strength.

Edited by DyNo!

Exactly. I don't really think it matters that much as long as your shotgun is pointed at each target, choked properly, and you do your part to keep it loaded. You can shoot well even if you weigh 100 pounds with less than a grown woman's upper body strength.

Look at possibly the women's national champ a junior who don't weigh 90 pounds with all her kit on.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

I hate to disagree with Super Dave and Ken Hackathorn but I kinda do. I fully agree that the support hand drives the gun from target to target but I don't agree that the majority of force applied to the shotgun should be with the firing hand. The more tension on the firing hand that you have the less trigger control you will have. Sure the shotgun USUALLY takes less trigger control than the pistol but you still need some modicum of it. I'm from the pull/pull school as well - with the majority of the pull coming from the support hand.

I usually lock the gun in and move at the body/waist to drive the gun between targets. From do come from a clays background so it just feels smoother to me to do it that way. If it feels akward then shoot what feels comfortable to you. The shotgun is much more of an art to shoot than the pistol or rifle.

Edited by EkuJustice

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Experimenting....

I shoot a Pump.

For me, I'm driving the Gun with my Shoulder.

Really locking it down with the last few fingers of my strong Hand, pushing shoulder into it and locking my strong hand elbow down.

Seems to work best for me when I keep my support hand pretty much just propping up the gun and keeping the recoil from moving sideways. If the support hand is pushing or tensed up too much you can't (I can't) shoot quickly

Aggressive stance and rear foot position are a large factor.

I'm hearing the M2 needs to float for the inertia bolt to work. If it's "locked" in the shoulder, will that cause malfuntions?

I've never been able to hold my M1 tight enough to cause a malfunction. I have also added weight to it trying to cause a malfunction (8rd side saddle, 8rd armband attached to forearm, 2rd slide lock holder, 6rd butt cuff and a full tube of Walmart Winchester value pack, ran like a champ).

Hurley

Interesting to try but are we after Doubletaps with Slugs?

Note that he Short stroked the first time he tries it...that's what was happening to me when I did it.

I also had trouble doing target transitions but I'm a Novice.

What do you guys think?

Edited by KungFuNerd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't think he's into speed and accuracy with what he's teaching.

Agreed Benny.

I shoot the same way with my saiga as my AR.

Float/drive gun with support hand and take the pull/weight with strong hand.

Jerry explains this in his practical rifle DVD,yes he's explaining the technique for the rifle,but I apply almost the same technique to my shotgun as my rifle.

I of course open and make my stance a little more aggressive to withstand the recoil on the shotgun,but as far as grip goes I keep it the same.

Different techiques out there,but I figure if its working for Jerry I'll always consider it!

• 3 weeks later...