Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 3: Episode 11 (18Oct11)

ima45dv8

Original post deleted because it was brought to my attention that somebody might be stupid enough to actually try to DQ a shooter for doing the bullet flip at ULSC.

I demonstrated poor taste as a CRO by making jokes about USPSA rules.

I will reread the rule book tonight and say ten "make readies".

Edited by Kevin Sanders

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my admittedly limited experience, ambushing a moving target is easier than tracking it. And in this case, the shooter moving is the same as the targets moving. Plus we had the advantage of seeing how fast the wheel turned and that two people who did ambush the targets did well while someone who tried to track them did poorly.

That is hardly the case, and it's also why Dustin missed most of the back half of targets. As the body is moved around in relation to gravity, weight shifts and different muscles come into play. The targets are moving in relation to the shooter, yes, but the shooter is going through a lot of physical changes as well. Changes that are not occurring when standing still on the line.

I like the zombie Mike better, he smiles a lot more and looks like he is having fun :D

Someone needs to open a range with these new props they are using, that would be sweet.

Daryl Parker from season 2 is way ahead of you.

Um, I don't think they have the budget to do the props to take it to the level this season did yet...

Sure we do... That photo is practice for a challenge. We can't give everything away before competitors come out to play. :) Jennifer Parker, Daryl's wife.

Sweet, if you have the big props from this season's show, you should be very busy for a long time to come!

We sure hope so! There is talk about adding towers and zip lines next. Stay tuned...

Two things. I think it was when Mike was shooting they showed the bang, then a slow motion rifle bullet flying downrange. The editors missed that one.

And I know it has been mentioned before but the weather in that place really sucks! They appeared to be freezing tonight. But I guess it has been a week since they shot last time so weather had plenty of time to change.ph34r.gif

Previous "Final Four" challenges have been double elimination.

The "dueling plate rack" challenge in Season one, and the "Close the door" challenge in Season two both were double elimination.

So regardless of who shoots against Mike, they will get another chance if they lose.

Edited by Mr. B

I don't remember the preview so I'm not sure who Mike goes up against in the plate rack tree face off. I'm wondering if it's going to be like JJ from Season 1 where it wasn't even close.

Chris

Yeah, we had it on DVR so we went back and watched it 1/2 speed to check----Dustin vs Gary, Mike vs Chris. Those were the pairs in all the sections of video, so they didn't give away who had to shoot a second time for elimination.

I'm thinking it will be---Gary and Chris. Gary because while he is good, Dustin has been consistently above average in everything, and his pistol skills are excellent, nor has he gotten shook up yet by man-vs-man stuff. Chris because while he is also good, he hasn't always made the strongest showing with a pistol and the challenge uses the Salient Glocks again--and Mike is a Glock shooter. I think he knows the platform. :)

Of course, I actually have no idea, and am seriously looking forward to next week's episode. And I agree---this week's show was a lot more fun to watch than some previous weeks.

I missed it Tuesday because of my birthday celebrationism but I caught it online last night. Wow.

The Ambush tactic definitely seemed to work better. The tracking looked like it failed because you were going so darn fast. Dustin and Chris definitely had impressive runs!

The elimination challenge looked like it was totally in Mike's element. That was a sick run!

As the body is moved around in relation to gravity, weight shifts and different muscles come into play. The targets are moving in relation to the shooter, yes, but the shooter is going through a lot of physical changes as well. Changes that are not occurring when standing still on the line.

Point well taken. But I still contend that, in this case in particular, ambushing the targets proved to be the winning strategy. Two people ambushed and tied on number of hits (better than half) and three people didn't and missed or nearly missed everything.

While I did enjoy this episodes display of sportsmanship, it DOES seem the drama and controversy get the publics interest. My post is # 63. At this time after the last show, over 130 posts.

Yeah, but when a significant fraction of them are "I can't stand XXXXX, his bad attitude makes us all look bad" ---I"m thinking I prefer it this way. :)

As soon as Mike described his plan, I knew he was screwed.

If he could have done it QUICK, it wasn't an awful plan, would give him an extra split second to get the sights on target and squeeze. It was a tough challenge though, it looked like that lift was whipping really fast, where Dustin's "ambush" scenario worked very well.

Mike, your plan to save all your hits for the elimination challenge worked perfectly!!

Good Job, you denied Alex a zombie-kill.

That challenge was spectacular on Mike's part. Looking at the practice, a "shoot-fast" mentality was needed, and think that USPSA experience really helped Mike, way to go!

As far as next week, are the Salient's back? Also looks like they're going back to the "game of HORSE" as at least part of the elimination, and maybe the dueling trees to eliminate one guy right off the bat like they did on Season 1.

Ha, yes I was totally screwed. When I was strapped in I had absolutely no chest movement to move the upper triangle to transition the gun. Ambush was the way to go. It is kind of good to totally tank something sometimes though. It was impressive to see Chris establish a rhythm.

The moving dueling tree was awesome! The Salient arms guns were unbelievable. Great guns.

Zombie Mike. Great nickname and it does seem like he is having more fun on the show.

Makes perfect sense to me. He's been eliminated once, so he has already experienced the worst thing that could happen. At this point, if he wins, he wins. If he doesn't win, he gets to have a great a great time competing with a bunch of guys he gets along with. What's not to be happy about?

Hi fellas, yes totally true, getting back was great and I wasn't taking anything for granted! Recharged and refreshed! $6k in Bass Pro cards! that was great! Bought a cross bow (full adult one!) and a compound for my 7 yr old after nationals in Vegas. In the end the show is about promoting firearms too massive audience. Next Tues will be a lot of fun to watch.

Some damn good GM shooting with that SPP.

Where did they come up with the idea for these weird guns? A SP89 and a SPP, really?

I totally agree, but the SPP had a sweet 12 lbs 4 stage trigger.

:roflol: