Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 shopping

stryfox

Ok, I am looking for a 1911 in .45 for CDP -IDPA

I have a sweet ESP gun and currently shoot a Kimber pro carry (4” aluminum frame) in CDP

I want a gamier gun for CDP

The features I need are

Stainless frame and slide

.45 bushing barrel

Bomar adj rear sight.

No MIM parts.

Front strap checkering is a plus.

Mag well is a plus but I could fit one.

What would you recommend? Under $2000

Les bear concept?

Ed Brown?

One of the upper models from Kimber or Springfield?

I didn’t see any stainless single stack STI guns.

Any suggestions?

Correct. STI no longer does SS. However, you can have it hard chromed! :D

Go with a Kimber or a Springfield and have a reputable gunsmith (Benny Hill, Brazos Custom, etc.) go through it and add the parts that you want.

Rich

Some non-traditional choices...

S&W Performance Center makes a beautiful blackened stainless 1911 with all the creature comforts plus they make another version of the same gun with fixed sights. Both are decent pieces.

On the more traditional side...

SV makes a nice Single Stack...So does Les Baer. I love the Baer Concept guns.

Springfield makes nice Single Stacks.

* I've got quite a few stainless guns...I have no problem with 'em. Not sure why your being told to avoid them. Lube 'em up properly and they run all day long.

My .02 cents. ;)

I have a STI Trojan.

It has:

Wilson Safety, mag release and slide stop

Brown mag well

C&S hammer, sear, and disconnector

SV Trigger

Dawson Front Sight

The barrel was replaced by STI after three years because it cracked.

Now the good news:

It shoots .66 inch groups at twenty-five yards.---From the factory.

STI's customer service is the best around. Chris is doing an awesome job for them.

The gun runs about $900.

Call Brazos or Dawson for an STI.

or

Get a full-house custom for under $2,000. Everything is a waste of time or money in my limited way of tihinking.

When I first purchased my Trojan I regretted not getting a Wilson, Baer, Nowlin, Brown. That lasted for about a year. No more. My STI is a great shooter.

If I had to do over again I would go with a Caspian or SV and have a smith build it.

My next pistol is an SV being built by Kodiak Precision. Don Golembieski's work is fantastic. Look on Rob's website for a little testimonial about Don. There are other excellent smith's out there. I truly believe they produce a superior product than any factory or semi-custom pistol. Again, I would say I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer or the most experienced, these is just my uneducated opinion.

Since everyone seems to have a different favorite, I will throw in my $0.02. I've had my Les Baer for just over 2 years now and LOVE IT! Just under 13K rounds through it, since I also shoot a few other guns for different divisions, and I haven't had any problems so far. If you do go with a Baer, plan on a longer break in period than with some of the other 1911's. New Baer's are TIGHT. ;)

Were I in the position of reaching into my wallet and laying out the green for a new single stack for comptition, I'd call up Nowlin and get a Match Classic on the way. Of the guns I tested for the 1911 book, that one was the best gun for the least money in a "stuff it in your holster and tell the earth beings to stand back" competition gun.

You could get less gun for less money. You could get as good for more money.

I just had a single stack Caspian built with ALL of the goodies and it is the sweetest gun I could ever hope for. Gene Williams out of Princeton TX 972-734-6699 built it for me in less than a month and it was much less then $2K. You can see it in the Gallery. Good luck and don't scrimp on anything, it is worth it in the end. B)

Funny you ask this question. I just decided to sell my CDP gun (I don't shoot IDPA anymore so it's a safe queen). Here's the info:

"Kimber Classic Custom .45 ACP – perfect L10 gun

I used to shoot this gun in Lim 10 and IDPA CDP. Great, reliable competition or self-defense gun. Many improvements including trigger job (approx 2.5 lbs), reliability job and Smith & Alexander magwell/MSH (arched). Has some bluing wear on muzzle and slide from kydex holster draws. No mags.

$500 + ship/insurance"

I'll try to get some pics tonight if you're interested.

cpritchard@viewlocity.com

Why a single stack? Real Gamer Guns have widebody frames ;)

I have a widebody gun for ESP

I am looking for a new CDP gun.

CDP must be single stack, bushing, .45

I am looking into some of your suggestions.

I am considering the Les Bear Concept V

Thanks

Look at the Springfield TGO 1 , it has everything you are looking for, or you could look at the Professional.

I looked on the Springfield web site and do not se a TGO am I missing something?

I did look at the Custom Loaded Trophy Match 1911-A1

Have a Caspian race ready frame & slide built for you by a good smith and never look back. I used the race ready frame and STI slide ,barrell and various small parts. Turned out to be my fav of any .45 I have ever shot... my .02 :D

I have three Trophy Match pistols, 2 in .45 and 1 in .40. Great pistols, they are not true custom gun, however they all shoot great. One thing I like about the springfield adjustable sight (Bomar copy) is that it has a deeper notch than the Bomar. I put a Bomar on a different .45 I had and did not like it as I was use to the Springfield. The one Trophy Match I shoot the most was a blue finish, but had the entire gun NP-3'd by Robar, and it gets smoother the more I shoot it. About 15 to 20k rounds through it and it runs great!

I will try to find the TGO line on the site and send it back to you.

Steve