Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Load

pining_garcia

After cleaning the *yellow* grit out of my guns everytime I shoot Silhouette, I stopped... besides I *much* more like the feel and dot track of RamShot True Blue in my 5" open guns (and found it just may become a favorite in a shorty I'm shooting).

7.85gr of true blue behind an MG 124 jph at 1.165 is better than AC, better than HS6, better than SP2 (yes I've got 25lbs of SP2 and like this load much better), better than Sil, etc... and yes I tried 115's with Sil as well (need to do that with HS6 too as it's becoming a rather well referenced load out of Shays guns).

Alan

Alan, do you have any holes in your 5"? What barrel do you have? What comp? What primers are you using with the True Blue? I just picked up a pound of it and want to test it this weekend against my HS6 and WAC loads. Is TB clean or dirty compared to the others? Thanks

Yeah, one of Shay's shooters uses the 115/HS-6 load and his shots are amazing, I swear it looks like the gun doesn't rise at all in the videos I took at the Monster Match. I just worry about accuracy of that load on the long shots, as Coco mentioned. BTW, Shay's guns are awesome!!

Edited by gng4life

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had nasty pressure issues with True Blue under Montana Gold 115's. I was flattening Winchester small pistol primers before I got to 170 pf.

I may give it another go with the Zero 115 and see how that goes.

The most accurate load I've ever shot in my gun is the Zero #135 115 grainer over 9.65 grains of 3n38. Easily sub 1" at 25 yards but loading it... sucks!

After cleaning the *yellow* grit out of my guns everytime I shoot Silhouette, I stopped... besides I *much* more like the feel and dot track of RamShot True Blue in my 5" open guns (and found it just may become a favorite in a shorty I'm shooting).

7.85gr of true blue behind an MG 124 jph at 1.165 is better than AC, better than HS6, better than SP2 (yes I've got 25lbs of SP2 and like this load much better), better than Sil, etc... and yes I tried 115's with Sil as well (need to do that with HS6 too as it's becoming a rather well referenced load out of Shays guns).

Alan

Alan, do you have any holes in your 5"? What barrel do you have? What comp? What primers are you using with the True Blue? I just picked up a pound of it and want to test it this weekend against my HS6 and WAC loads. Is TB clean or dirty compared to the others? Thanks

Yeah, one of Shay's shooters uses the 115/HS-6 load and his shots are amazing, I swear it looks like the gun doesn't rise at all in the videos I took at the Monster Match. I just worry about accuracy of that load on the long shots, as Coco mentioned. BTW, Shay's guns are awesome!!

Don't think you'll have any issues with accuracy with that HS6 load... Every one of Shay's shooters use it and their scores don't seem to offer any indication of an accuracy issue :)...

Neither of my 5" guns have holes, both have schumann barrels (non AET). One is a cone comp, the other a bull barrel. One is a Millennium Custom with a comp that Derek and Mike at Schemann designed, the other is an EGW with the last vertical side port milled off. I *always* run just standard Pistol primers until I verify that a load doesn't have pressure signs.... With either my 7.1 AutoComp load or my 7.85 true blue load, I can run standard primers all day long and while both will give you a nice flat breech formed face on the primer, none of them ever are flat enough that the edges still aren't nice and round. TB is wicked clean, no black soot like AC. You will find a very fine - not noticeable - powder residue in the chamber area, but I'll typically take a qtip and wipe out the chamber area after or 500-700 rounds and that's about it. It by far and away is my favorite both in felt recoil, accuracy and cleanliness... And now, with my efforts to tweak a load for a short gun, it's met the grade there as well...

My TB load and use it wisely is

7.85gr behind a 124 MG JHP at 1.165 - in a 5" that gives me a 170-171pf all day long.... drop the oal to 1.155 and in a 4.25 true commander length open gun, it's still right there at 169-170, with 2 poppel holes in that barrel

Thanks Alan, that's what I needed to know. Loading up some rounds now to test soon.

About the accuracy thing, I will just say that Coco is probably on to something for the longggg shots. I saw something first hand but don't want to post it here.

I use 125's and longshot smooth as silk.

How clean is it? What's the feel like? What other loads have you compared it to? How much does it fill up the case? What barrel/comp do you have? Is it as loud as most claim it is? Thanks for any info...

How clean is it? What's the feel like? What other loads have you compared it to? How much does it fill up the case? What barrel/comp do you have? Is it as loud as most claim it is? Thanks for any info...

GNG:

I have shot 9mm major from the beginning. Once I find a powder and bullet combo that is reliable I stick with it. I don't like to try to find "the grail" because I know it doesn't exist. I also know that everyone's gun set ups are not the same nor are everyone's individual tastes and preferences.

When I first started in the sport I had a 9mm competitor with a 16 ounce stock slide and 9 lb spring combo. Being that the bigger bullet would flip more with the sluggish slide I stayed with a 115 grain bullet. I'm sponsored by both Zero and Hodgdon so I used a 115 grain zero with HS7 to start. Worked great and loved it. Then when Chris Hodgdon told me "Robby we won't be making this anymore try our more efficient powder"... HS6 I used that with even better results, I loved it ten times more than HS7. When Autocomp was created he wanted me to demo it before it hit the circuit. I tried it for steel loads with a 115 and worked great. I used HS6 for major loads and Autocomp for minor loads. I made one major load with Autocomp and a 115 but just stuck to HS6 for major.

Moving on to now. New gun has a 9.7 ounce slide and a 9 lb spring. Gun shoots super flat with 115's but since the slide is lightened extensively you get more straight back recoil. So Zero wanted me to use their new style 125 grain JHP. Started using it with Longshot for major and is absolutely perfect for my taste and this gun. I shoot the load for steel because it's so flat and soft in this gun. It's making about 174 pf. Two other sponsors of mine are EGW and KKM both great people. Jim at EGW sent me a 4 port CNC comp and he sent an EGW tungsten guide rod of and everything is nice. He felt that a tungsten guide rod would tame the beast a little more. SI at KKM sent me their 5 inch bushing barrel my gunsmith prefers KKM.

So bottom line 3-4 thousand rounds in, most likely wont change a damn thing til the day I die or the gun breaks. Longshot is a loud powder, but I like that. Get's RO's off my butt. It doesn't fill up the case that much with the 125... I wouldn't use it with a 115, but I definitely like it with my 125's. I have no signs of pressure on the primers and I'm using just federal small pistol primers. Longshot may not be for you. But as far as 9MM major is concerned you have a few options... HS6, Autcomp, LONGSHOT,IMR, and my competitor's powder lines Ramshot, VV, ALLIANT, etc.

My advice to you is find a powder that is readily available, reasonably priced, comfortable, and reliable... and stick with that bullet/powder combo. Don't go trying to find the holy grail concentrate on your game.

Hope this helps with minimal thread drift,

Robby

Edited by PINMAN44

GNG:

I have shot 9mm major from the beginning. Once I find a powder and bullet combo that is reliable I stick with it. I don't like to try to find "the grail" because I know it doesn't exist. I also know that everyone's gun set ups are not the same nor are everyone's individual tastes and preferences.

When I first started in the sport I had a 9mm competitor with a 16 ounce stock slide and 9 lb spring combo. Being that the bigger bullet would flip more with the sluggish slide I stayed with a 115 grain bullet. I'm sponsored by both Zero and Hodgdon so I used a 115 grain zero with HS7 to start. Worked great and loved it. Then when Chris Hodgdon told me "Robby we won't be making this anymore try our more efficient powder"... HS6 I used that with even better results, I loved it ten times more than HS7. When Autocomp was created he wanted me to demo it before it hit the circuit. I tried it for steel loads with a 115 and worked great. I used HS6 for major loads and Autocomp for minor loads. I made one major load with Autocomp and a 115 but just stuck to HS6 for major.

Moving on to now. New gun has a 9.7 ounce slide and a 9 lb spring. Gun shoots super flat with 115's but since the slide is lightened extensively you get more straight back recoil. So Zero wanted me to use their new style 125 grain JHP. Started using it with Longshot for major and is absolutely perfect for my taste and this gun. I shoot the load for steel because it's so flat and soft in this gun. It's making about 174 pf. Two other sponsors of mine are EGW and KKM both great people. Jim at EGW sent me a 4 port CNC comp and he sent an EGW tungsten guide rod of and everything is nice. He felt that a tungsten guide rod would tame the beast a little more. SI at KKM sent me their 5 inch bushing barrel my gunsmith prefers KKM.

So bottom line 3-4 thousand rounds in, most likely wont change a damn thing til the day I die or the gun breaks. Longshot is a loud powder, but I like that. Get's RO's off my butt. It doesn't fill up the case that much with the 125... I wouldn't use it with a 115, but I definitely like it with my 125's. I have no signs of pressure on the primers and I'm using just federal small pistol primers. Longshot may not be for you. But as far as 9MM major is concerned you have a few options... HS6, Autcomp, LONGSHOT,IMR, and my competitor's powder lines Ramshot, VV, ALLIANT, etc.

My advice to you is find a powder that is readily available, reasonably priced, comfortable, and reliable... and stick with that bullet/powder combo. Don't go trying to find the holy grail concentrate on your game.

Hope this helps with minimal thread drift,

Robby

Wow Robby, thanks for the extensive reply. I just started shooting Open this year (seriously) and I wouldn't say I'm searching for the perfect load, but the load that matches my style, capabilities, and gun. Not being sponsored, I rely on getting good information first and applying that to my practice and then the matches. I don't have lots of time for R&D of loads but I enjoy doing it, just not enough hours in the day for me. I do use HS-6 now and I have to say it is great for feel, accuracy, runs great in my gun but I am very unhappy about dirty it is. I'm used to N320 in my minor loads and it is so great in every aspect except price/availability but I use it anyway. The main reason why I asked about Longshot is because there is a Sportsman Warehouse about 1.5 hours away. They carry the LS powder in 1lb and 4lb containers at a great price. I don't want to switch from HS-6 but if it has the same properties but is a little cleaner, I would go with it given those two factors.

I will get a pound and try it out to see what I get. Would you mind sharing some load data with it? Thanks...

GNG,

No problem. I wouldn't suggest using LONGSHOT if you aren't a fan of a HS6 as far as cleanliness. Longshot is a slower and dirtier powder than HS6. I don't mind the powder's dirtiness. Mine runs dirty or clean. I wouldn't suggest it if you are trying to find a cleaner powder. I try to show the value in the product lines I represent, but if you are looking for a cleaner powder for 9mm major LS isn't it. Hs6 with a 115 was pretty damn clean for me when I used it with a 115. But my load was also screaming and it was burning better.

I wouldn't recommend using LS if you are worried about cleanliness.

Could you tell me a little more about your open set up and what type of feel you're looking for?

When I started shooting 9 major I used True Blue with a 125 gr JHP. I switched to Silhouette after loading 50 rounds for comparison. The Silhouette is a little cleaner and much softer feeling in my gun with the 125. I also use Silhouette for my SC loads with a 115 gr JHP.

Hello: HS-6 works great for 115's if you run the power factor up to 171-173 range. I also use small rifle or magnum primers. HS-6 burns cleaner at the higher power factor and is still very soft. Silhouette, Auto Comp and 3n37 work also. I may have to try Longshot next with some heavier bullets. I am still looking for the grail with different powders and comp setups :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Hello: HS-6 works great for 115's if you run the power factor up to 171-173 range. I also use small rifle or magnum primers. HS-6 burns cleaner at the higher power factor and is still very soft. Silhouette, Auto Comp and 3n37 work also. I may have to try Longshot next with some heavier bullets. I am still looking for the grail with different powders and comp setups :cheers: Thanks, Eric

ERIC - That gail may not exist I read a post the other day and the guy said that Silhouette or HS6 shot better than SP2, dang I had hopes that SP2 was the grail, now I'll have to find another powder to chase after maybe BlueDot no one has tried it in 9 major, it could be the secret to the grail. :devil:

...maybe BlueDot no one has tried it in 9 major... :devil:

If you're thinking that, you're late to the party! :D

• 2 weeks later...

What is blue dot like? I have two pounds that I thought about trying.

Pinmann44, a few months ago you gave a loading info on HS7, like very much, so far the best gun/load combo for me, luckily a remote supplier a has 20lbs of HS7 on his inventory and selling it for a 40% dicount. grab the whole lot, Hope Hodgdon will resurrect this powder. thanks again

What is blue dot like? I have two pounds that I thought about trying.

It's so bulky I couldn't get it to major under 115's. There just wasn't enough case volume. I literally filled the case flush to the top and compressed it with the bullet. I kicked around the idea of doing a fill / compress / fill / seat bullet but that amount of time and work wouldn't be feasible for practical purposes, especially with all the other choices that easily make power factor.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new to open and 9 major and would like some advice... I recently got my first open gun and have shot a couple matches using load data that I got with the gun. I shoot with the previous owner every weekend and have seen this combo in action for a few months now.

124 grain MG FMJ

8.0 grains of True Blue

AOL 1.185"

Small pistol primers

mixed brass

After some reading here it looks like this length is possibly a little long. The reason I'm wondering is that I chrono'd this load today and was getting 167 PF (temp was 35-40 degrees) I'm not sure what to expect but this PF seemed a little low. This got me to wondering about the possible temperature sensitivitey of the True Blue. I'm still new enough to open to not really have an opinion as to how much the gun is moving, it's quite a lot differnt than the limited setup I was shooting. lol. Either way I'd really appreciate some opinons on this data and advice on any changes that might help.

Thanks in advance,

Rusty.

I am looking over this posts to find a good load data for a 9mm MPF for a new open gun I just bought. The guy I got it from says he like 115 MG with 8.0 of Ramshot Sil for major power factor.

I can not seem to find anyone really using 115 Gr most seem to go to 124's any help before I buy couple thousand and can load major with them. :angry2:

Thanks

I'm new to open and 9 major and would like some advice... I recently got my first open gun and have shot a couple matches using load data that I got with the gun. I shoot with the previous owner every weekend and have seen this combo in action for a few months now.

124 grain MG FMJ

8.0 grains of True Blue

AOL 1.185"

Small pistol primers

mixed brass

After some reading here it looks like this length is possibly a little long. The reason I'm wondering is that I chrono'd this load today and was getting 167 PF (temp was 35-40 degrees) I'm not sure what to expect but this PF seemed a little low. This got me to wondering about the possible temperature sensitivitey of the True Blue. I'm still new enough to open to not really have an opinion as to how much the gun is moving, it's quite a lot differnt than the limited setup I was shooting. lol. Either way I'd really appreciate some opinons on this data and advice on any changes that might help.

Thanks in advance,

Rusty.

Rusty True Blue is a decent 9 major powder, shot some myself for a while, but you need to watch your pf for major matches. To get closer to the 172-175pf range you could either shorten it down a bit to say 1.165 or bump it up a tenth, and re-crono. I don't have any info that wold indicate it was temp sensative, but the Crono can give different reading depending on factors like sun light etc.

You might want to think about your bullet choice, unless you like scraping the lead out of the comp, I use the CMJ's to aviod that. Zeros are about .005 larger in diameter than the MG and seal better in loser barrels and give you a few more fps. Also magnum primers light up these large charges well, as do Small Rifle primers for a few extra fps. You are close so just make sure you CRONO before going to a major match and adjust if necessary.

I would not recommend going beyond 8.3gr with True Blue, in my expierence it tends to pressure spike. YMMV.

• 1 month later...

here is the load I have been playing with:

Strela ( S&B ) 124gr FMJ

6.7gr autocomp

1.170 coal

cci small pistol magnum primers

1450 out of my shorty (no holes in the barrel, two port comp)

ES: 16

No signs of pressure :)

Edited by simar