Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Load

pining_garcia

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just loaded up and shot over 800 rounds of 8.5 HS-6, MG 124 CMJ, CCI SPM, OAL @ 1.165, misc brass, shot out of a Trubor with 3 port comp and 2 popple holes. I was chrono'ing at 170 at home and then went to the NC Sectional and chrono'ed at 169.6 (78 degrees). This is becoming my favorite load...

• 4 weeks later...

I tried a load of 8.1gr, at 1.175 behind a MG JHP and liked the first test. I was planning to load some more for testing and chrono when a veteran shooter said that HS6 is dirty and the unburnt powder is very abrasive. It can wear out a barrel in 20,000 rounds. Can anyone shed more light on this?

Thank you in advance

I tried a load of 8.1gr, at 1.175 behind a MG JHP and liked the first test. I was planning to load some more for testing and chrono when a veteran shooter said that HS6 is dirty and the unburnt powder is very abrasive. It can wear out a barrel in 20,000 rounds. Can anyone shed more light on this?

Thank you in advance

Use magnum primers, that helps burn all the powder. I haven't heard that HS6 is abrasive but AA#7 is, but again magnum primers cut down on unburned powder.

I use 8.5 of HS-6 in my TruBore with a MG 124 CMJ, CCI Small Magnum, and I don't get any unburned powder. It is really dirty, that's my only complaint. It was softer/better dot movement than WAC at the same powder factor in my pistol.

Also, I shot with my buddy a few weeks ago and he shoots a MG 115 JHP with 9.0 of HS-6 and he doesn't get any unburned powder either, again, just dirty.

I use 8.5 of HS-6 in my TruBore with a MG 124 CMJ, CCI Small Magnum, and I don't get any unburned powder. It is really dirty, that's my only complaint. It was softer/better dot movement than WAC at the same powder factor in my pistol.

Also, I shot with my buddy a few weeks ago and he shoots a MG 115 JHP with 9.0 of HS-6 and he doesn't get any unburned powder either, again, just dirty.

The filthy soot HS6 is a fine coating like you get in an oil burning stove, not the tiny rocks of AA#7 or the oatmeal of Silhouette. More of a visual discomfort than anything else. AA#7 on the other hand will shut the gun down expecially a tight gun. Did I say 10gr of AA #7 @ 1.185 w/125gr Zero makes a great soft flat load.

The filthy soot HS6 is a fine coating like you get in an oil burning stove, not the tiny rocks of AA#7 or the oatmeal of Silhouette. More of a visual discomfort than anything else. AA#7 on the other hand will shut the gun down expecially a tight gun. Did I say 10gr of AA #7 @ 1.185 w/125gr Zero makes a great soft flat load.

When you say it is a fine coating, do you mean that fine coating is unburned powder? I don't see or feel any real substantial amount if that is the case.

I agree about AA #7. I used to shoot a lot of AA #7 (still have a few pounds) but I don't load it any more due to the unburned powder issue, even with magnum primers. I am still looking for the perfect 9Major powder. For right now, HS-6 it is for me. I just got some True Blue and plan on trying that out this weekend...

When you say it is a fine coating, do you mean that fine coating is unburned powder? I don't see or feel any real substantial amount if that is the case.

I agree about AA #7. I used to shoot a lot of AA #7 (still have a few pounds) but I don't load it any more due to the unburned powder issue, even with magnum primers. I am still looking for the perfect 9Major powder. For right now, HS-6 it is for me. I just got some True Blue and plan on trying that out this weekend...

HS-6 it is soot like you get in an oil burning stove. I found True Blue to be sooty like HS-6. While it does leave some oatmeal in the gun Silhouette is my favorite, it is also revese temp sensative for Winter I run 7.4gr with a Magnum Primer with MTG 124 CMJ set I.165 past 80 7.6gr. If you using SPP instead of Magnum primer 7.7 in the summer about 170pf. I had pressure issues with TB in 38SC spikes after 8.3gr, so keep an eye on it, shoots about the same as HS6 or WAC, my rigs, YMMV.

Edited by CocoBolo

I shot about 10 lbs of Silhouette and never got any oatmeal in 9 Major or 38SC.

I shot about 10 lbs of Silhouette and never got any oatmeal in 9 Major or 38SC.

I just started using the last 4# jug of a 32# order of Silhouette, I notice it more in my HardChromed gun than the blued guns, it collects on the inside of the slide opposite of the extractor and does not cause any issues. I tend to run this gun a little wet since it is very tight, it could be the combo of lube and the Silhouette. I have not heard anyone say it is clean like N350, which sucks in 9 major. I keep it clean enough to eat out of so any little thing is noticed. YMMV The reverse temp sensativity is very noticable on a cold moring and as it heats up it goes back to feeling normal. Never shot Silhouette in 38SC, might give it a try if I decide to pickup brass again, but leaving that behind is the best part of 9 major. Shoot lots of AA#7 in 38SC, prefer it to N105 or 3N38 or N350.

I've shot 115gr with 9.0gr of HS-6 and it shot nice but the accuracy wasn't there it failed the 50 yard test, not the powder the bullets and barrel preferece, I need to test my 1/32 barrel Schueman to see if it works better than the 1/16 in the other guns.. Seems like about every major match has a long range standard, it would probably be fine for the average local match, but just not enough difference to make it worth while.

The reverse temp sensitivity is very noticeable on a cold morning and as it heats up it goes back to feeling normal.

Ron, I gotta ask... What temps do you shoot in? I've seen you post about this a few times and I've always wondered. I've burnt approximately 15 pounds of Silhouette so far this year in my 9mm Open gun. I worked up my loads in March at about 34 degrees Fahrenheit and settled on 8.6 grains under a 115 gr Zero. I've shot ~12,000 rounds of that this year with less than a 15 FPS velocity variance at any time including chrono at Nationals when the temperate was nudging up against 100 degrees that afternoon. My chrono average (three rounds) at Nationals was 8 FPS slower than my 34 degree (five round) average.

The reverse temp sensitivity is very noticeable on a cold morning and as it heats up it goes back to feeling normal.

Ron, I gotta ask... What temps do you shoot in? I've seen you post about this a few times and I've always wondered. I've burnt approximately 15 pounds of Silhouette so far this year in my 9mm Open gun. I worked up my loads in March at about 34 degrees Fahrenheit and settled on 8.6 grains under a 115 gr Zero. I've shot ~12,000 rounds of that this year with less than a 15 FPS velocity variance at any time including chrono at Nationals when the temperate was nudging up against 100 degrees that afternoon. My chrono average (three rounds) at Nationals was 8 FPS slower than my 34 degree (five round) average.

From the 20's to 115. You've got me thinking that maybe its that darn dillon, maybe when it cooler it changes the drop? Every time I check it the weight is right.

From the 20's to 115. You've got me thinking that maybe its that darn dillon, maybe when it cooler it changes the drop? Every time I check it the weight is right.

I'm not saying the powder isn't temp sensitive... just that I haven't experienced it. There may be a "magic" temp that causes the swing, I'm not sure. You play in a much wider temperature variation than I do. If it's in the 20's you'll probably find me in bed instead of out shooting. I've thought about doing the "cooler test" to see if I could reproduce your experiences. I've just always wondered how cold it has to be to pick up or hot to slow down.

Thanks for the information. :cheers:

I'm not saying the powder isn't temp sensitive... just that I haven't experienced it. There may be a "magic" temp that causes the swing, I'm not sure. You play in a much wider temperature variation than I do. If it's in the 20's you'll probably find me in bed instead of out shooting. I've thought about doing the "cooler test" to see if I could reproduce your experiences. I've just always wondered how cold it has to be to pick up or hot to slow down.

Thanks for the information. :cheers:

I happen to know the numbers beause I was at a major match Gator 2010, and I cronoed the ammo here 2 days prior in the heat. I was the first shooter on the crono that morining I thought their crono was junk, then I shot the first stage and felt it in the palm as the day wore on it just got lighter and lighter and in the heat of the day it started to feel sluggish. So you don't need to do any scientific testing you will feel it in the palm and see it in the dot dance. :devil:

Hello: A good test for this is to take some rounds and put them in the freezer the night before in a plastic baggy. Take some of your normal unfozen rounds with you as well. I load the frozen ones up in a cooler packed with ice on top of the rounds. I then shoot the frozen ones first over the chrono and then the noraml ones. You can see the difference right away with Silhouette. It seems to me to be a progressive change as it gets colder. I found as little as 20 degrees makes a difference after 80 degrees. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I use Silhouette. If I am staying around here in VT 7.9 grains with a 121 give me a 172 pf. When I load for the nationals I bump the load to 8.2 and get the same 172 pf

I am not sure who is right I always thought it slowed down when it gets super hot. I heat the ammo up to chrono it for Vegas.

After cleaning the *yellow* grit out of my guns everytime I shoot Silhouette, I stopped... besides I *much* more like the feel and dot track of RamShot True Blue in my 5" open guns (and found it just may become a favorite in a shorty I'm shooting).

7.85gr of true blue behind an MG 124 jph at 1.165 is better than AC, better than HS6, better than SP2 (yes I've got 25lbs of SP2 and like this load much better), better than Sil, etc... and yes I tried 115's with Sil as well (need to do that with HS6 too as it's becoming a rather well referenced load out of Shays guns).

Alan

I live in Florida and we never get "cold" weather compared to you guys. I also load Silhouette in my 9 mm gun. I have never noticed a change even when we get the occasional 40 degree day. My gun also shows a little collection of oatmeal on the slide by the ejector. My current load is 8.2 gr of Silhouette with a MG 121 IFP and Win SRP loaded to 1.160 with a PF of 170-172. My Limcat Flashcat has 6 small barrel holes.