Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The perfect HM rifle?

barrysuperhawk

Yes, you will want a thinner front sight. I think the SOCOM uses a taller front sight than the 22" M1As, you may want to call Springfield to see what they have available. If they only have the standard width (.075"), you can take a file and narrow it to your liking. You may want to replace the rear peep w/ a standard peep also- I think the SOCOM uses a ghost ring sized peep.

I've been using the CMI 20 round mags for the last couple years and they work great. Old USGI surplus mags are also almost indestructible.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I followed in the steps of a lot of great heavy shooters like Patrick and shot an M1A for years at RM3G. It is still probably my favorite rifle to shoot there, but I have been dabbling around with AR pattern 308's at a few of the matches.

I have finally settled on the Noveske N6 with a 16" bbl. DSG Arms has helped me with this rifle and with the proper comp it shoots with less recoil than my M1A. It is a lot easier to scope for heavy optics than my beloved M1A too. I will be sticking with irons, but I can scope it for heavy tac class like at the TX MG Championship.

Did you buy the 16" or the 18"?

I got the 16" and Good lord that front sight is WIIIIIDDDDEEEE! I was searching around last night and found somewhere that explained the sight heights and IIRC said the front post off a Scout? would work, but I'll be darned if I can reproduce those search results and find it again now.

Alright Mr, Kelly and Mr. Miller, you two got me started down this road, enlighten me...

If the "flyer" is the bolt hold open shot, it is your bedding, if not....well.....you know!

Damn dude, another pearl of M14 /M1A wisdom! Thanks Kurt!

And Barry...it is well documented that the best rifle for HM Iron is the M1A!

Don't fight it just go get one!

Patrick

I curious what kind of a compensator you would put on an M1A vs. the standard flash suppressor. I would think that alone would be a great asset to it's usual muzzle rise? Miculek?

Thanks.

Did you buy the 16" or the 18"?

I got the 16" and Good lord that front sight is WIIIIIDDDDEEEE! I was searching around last night and found somewhere that explained the sight heights and IIRC said the front post off a Scout? would work, but I'll be darned if I can reproduce those search results and find it again now.

Alright Mr, Kelly and Mr. Miller, you two got me started down this road, enlighten me...

This I too would like as I also own a Socom16. That thing can make a 300yd gong sing, but that sight is really big even at that range. I haven't shot it much out past that.

Ok, As was pointed out to me in a PM, I realize the Socom16 is about the least accurate of the M1A's but after looking at it, I have to believe the culprit has to be the sights. So, last night I caught a deal on a globe style front sight, so I ought to be able to deal with the sight height issues slightly easier. My plan is to try my [steady] hand at making my own insert if I cannot get one of the half dozen or so that are on the way to work. Theoretically the shorter barrel has to be a bit stiffer, especially without a FH or anything else hanging off the end, so other than losing 2" of velocity everything else should be the same. Assuming I can find a way to improve the sights, 4-500 yard shots should be, if not easy, at least do-able.

Since I have a couple of club matches comming up really soon, logically it seems I should plan to zero and shoot 6 O'clock hold with a standard height sight post [until I have time to modify things] and I should be good to 200yards [the farthest likely target]. What I don't know is how low to hold. I will probably only have a chance to shoot this out to 100y, so does anyone have any suggestions on how low(high) I should try to be to be able to hit at 200 with M80 ball?

Edited by barrysuperhawk

Ok, As was pointed out to me in a PM, I realize the Socom16 is about the least accurate of the M1A's but after looking at it, I have to believe the culprit has to be the sights. So, last night I caught a deal on a globe style front sight, so I ought to be able to deal with the sight height issues slightly easier. My plan is to try my [steady] hand at making my own insert if I cannot get one of the half dozen or so that are on the way to work. Theoretically the shorter barrel has to be a bit stiffer, especially without a FH or anything else hanging off the end, so other than losing 2" of velocity everything else should be the same. Assuming I can find a way to improve the sights, 4-500 yard shots should be, if not easy, at least do-able.

Since I have a couple of club matches comming up really soon, logically it seems I should plan to zero and shoot 6 O'clock hold with a standard height sight post [until I have time to modify things] and I should be good to 200yards [the farthest likely target]. What I don't know is how low to hold. I will probably only have a chance to shoot this out to 100y, so does anyone have any suggestions on how low(high) I should try to be to be able to hit at 200 with M80 ball?

If you picked up the globe front from Alley Supply (I think it is the only one) you should be able to find a very suitable insert. Brownells

sells a set by Lee Shaffer.

Had I thought of it I would have offered you a Globe set up for the Soccom 16 / Scout. I like globe set-up, I just could not get the kind of accuracy

out of the shorty to make me happy.

If you zero so your POI is 2" to 3" high at 100 you'll be good to go to 250 holding where you want to hit.

As you know all ammo ain't the same so M80 Ball made by X,Y or Z may provide radically different accuracy levels.

If the rifle will consistantly hold 2MOA with Ball ammo you have been blessed. I would not expect this kind of performance even with match ammo.

Go shoot the damn thing and let us know how it shoots!

Good luck

Patrick

Edited by P.E. Kelley

If you picked up the globe front from Alley Supply (I think it is the only one) you should be able to find a very suitable insert. Brownells

sells a set by Lee Shaffer.

Had I thought of it I would have offered you a Globe set up for the Soccom 16 / Scout. I like globe set-up, I just could not get the kind of accuracy

out of the shorty to make me happy.

If you zero so your POI is 2" to 3" high at 100 you'll be good to go to 250 holding where you want to hit.

As you know all ammo ain't the same so M80 Ball made by X,Y or Z may provide radically different accuracy levels.

If the rifle will consistantly hold 2MOA with Ball ammo you have been blessed. I would not expect this kind of performance even with match ammo.

Go shoot the damn thing and let us know how it shoots!

Good luck

Patrick

Yes, it's an alley:

SANY0312.jpg

The ammo I am going to start with is South African, mostly because the rest of my rifles like it and I have a gob of it. If it shoots ok, I'm good, but if it does not, I have several other options in the 150-155 range as well as FGMM 168's. Most of my local hipower guys shoot 155's out to 200, so I know the round is accurate, and finding a load that works is part of the fun of buying a new rifle.

If you need some inspiration, here's a picture of Rob Romero's HM rifle:

238d0776.jpg

I run the same sighting arrangement but with a Prismatic on top and everything else folded down (So I could finish a match if my primary optic crapped out/lost zero).

If I shot real limited :lol: or HM, that's the way I'd do it. (MATECH + TROY BUIS)

71e88463.jpg

c1ca7629.png

Who makes the "wings" on the left and right side of Rob's rifle? I heard it mentioned on 3 Gun Nation, but I wasn't paying much attention. I did go the gear section of that website thinking it might be on there but it isn't. Right now, I just screwed in some sling studs and figured I would use that for now.

Update: In my personal quest for the perfect HM rifle, several of you have admonished me to go with the venerable M1A, so I did, I bought a Socom - not realizing that was the poorest of the choices because of the sights. So, I did what any responsible rifleman would do, I immedately traded it is on a 18" Scout. Now I have slightly better ballistics and MUCH better sights. Now I have 2 days to Zero, and 3 consecutive weekend club matches to see if this works. Nothing like Jumping into the deep end, [just don't hold it against me because I missed the first jump and landed in the kiddie pool...]

Why noy just buy a NM front sight? To me that would be easier than filing...

Mick

Barry, Scout sights are still a different height than 22" rifles. Easiest way to fix the wide front sight is break out a little file.

It looks like I'm late to this party. In case it is of interest, here is my Heavy Metal Scope rifle. Its a DPMS AP4 on which I cut down the front sight base, removed the short carbine-length FF tube and installed a DPMS rifle-length FF tube wrapped with paracord. Adding a Miculek muzzle brake and a Meopta K-Dot, this rifle has turned out pretty nice for a relatively modest investment (well, except for the optic of course).

2011HMSLR-308Riflehorizontal.jpg

Why noy just buy a NM front sight? To me that would be easier than filing...

Mick

Barry, Scout sights are still a different height than 22" rifles. Easiest way to fix the wide front sight is break out a little file.

I don't know a lot about the short rifles, but I'm not aware of anyone that makes a narrow front sight in the proper height for the scout or SOCOM. Not to mention even the NM sight is a little too wide on some targets.

It looks like I'm late to this party. In case it is of interest, here is my Heavy Metal Scope rifle. Its a DPMS AP4 on which I cut down the front sight base, removed the short carbine-length FF tube and installed a DPMS rifle-length FF tube wrapped with paracord. Adding a Miculek muzzle brake and a Meopta K-Dot, this rifle has turned out pretty nice for a relatively modest investment (well, except for the optic of course).

2011HMSLR-308Riflehorizontal.jpg

I thought you were gonna go with a FNH SCAR-17 after talking to you at the last Ironman match, what made you change your mind?

Edited by DocMedic

I picked up the Scout for the same reason I grabbed the SOCOM in the first place, because it was cheap [relatively] and available. I probably would have never spent the $$ on ordering one, but dangle one in front of my nose...

Anyway, As I understand it, the Scout is shorter than the Socom, but taller than the standard, but I know it is MUCH thinner, and actually more conducive to file work than the SOCOM's FS. I also picked up an aperture front sight to try also, so I ought to be able to make something work...

I still have an AR style .308, that is currently wearing an EOTECH but will likely grow a set of irons as soon as I assemble the required parts... Then I will have a shoot off to see which one I shoot the best...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been under the impression that AR10 pattern rifles have a tendency to be finicky and somewhat less reliable than AR15s.

Is this still the case, or have those issues been resolved with the latest generation of AR10s?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Both my AR pattern 308's have been spot on with everything except CBC and it has ridiculusly hard primers. As far as actual AR10s, I have had 2 of those back in the bad old days and never could get either of them to work worth a darn. The AR10 fans are quick to point out that 99%of the problems [including mine] were magazine related, but then it does not matter how accurate a rifle is if you cannot get the bullets into the chamber...

Yes, it's an alley:

The ammo I am going to start with is South African, mostly because the rest of my rifles like it and I have a gob of it. If it shoots ok, I'm good, but if it does not, I have several other options in the 150-155 range as well as FGMM 168's. Most of my local hipower guys shoot 155's out to 200, so I know the round is accurate, and finding a load that works is part of the fun of buying a new rifle.

I really like this set up, you can use the sight housing for up close, and the insert for longer ranges (get the Shaver inserts). The problem is that the first match I shot with it, when I pulled the rifle out of the cart for the third stage the tube portion was broken off, it is soldered together. Since the manufacturer wasn't interested in replacing it, I welded it with .023 wire. I wouldn't wait for one to break, clamp it up and weld it from the start.

I really like this set up, you can use the sight housing for up close, and the insert for longer ranges (get the Shaver inserts). The problem is that the first match I shot with it, when I pulled the rifle out of the cart for the third stage the tube portion was broken off, it is soldered together. Since the manufacturer wasn't interested in replacing it, I welded it with .023 wire. I wouldn't wait for one to break, clamp it up and weld it from the start.

Ok, maybe a little explanation or a picture of what broke or where you welded might be helpful...