Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR BUFFER SPRING NOISE

Trey A

Is there a complete fix for the buffer spring noise in the AR? I have tried grease and it significantly improved the noise but it still bothers me. It is worse on the rifle length than the carbine length buffer. Very annoying!! Any idea how long the grease trick may work? Or any other suggestions are appreciated

The JP spring with a touch of lithium is the quietest I have shot. The tubs spring with Lithium is a tick louder.

Neither has the CAA-CHING sound.

+1000

It worth spending a few dollars more to get the JP springs, all you need is a distraction while your trying to shoot a long distance target with the game on the line. Most of the time you will not hear it in the heat of the battle, but if you want the noise gone, go with the JP buffer spring.

The Caa-ching noise describes it perfectly, the comp is more than loud enough I have just tuned into the spring noise now. It travels through the stock straight to me. Polishing a spring sounds difficult but worth a try. It will give me something else to do. And what is TW-25B? Thanks for the help and suggestions

The JP spring with a touch of lithium is the quietest I have shot. The tubs spring with Lithium is a tick louder.

Just curious, why is the JP spring quieter? I have one but saving for my next build. The flat coils seem like they would provide more surface area to rub making more noise but do they not "bounce/sproing" down the tube because of the flat edges?

And why lithium grease? I just use Plastilube from my Garand kit.

Just curious, why is the JP spring quieter? I have one but saving for my next build. The flat coils seem like they would provide more surface area to rub making more noise but do they not "bounce/sproing" down the tube because of the flat edges?

And why lithium grease? I just use Plastilube from my Garand kit.

Not sure exactly why it is quieter but I think it has something to do with how the inside of the buffer tube is machined. Some have have very slight rings in the inside left from finishing. The tubs spring is super thin and will ride these little ridges and you can here it. The JP has a larger more flatter outer surface and slides right over them.

As for the white lithium I only started using it this year. I picked it up from a friend who picked it up here, I have been very happy with it so far. I had a spray can of it left over from a project years ago. Side note: A little goes a LONG way, and if you live in a colder to much is a bad thing. Do not buy the stuff made by liquid wrench it has another oil in it that keeps it from drying and sticking.

Edited by bpipe95

+1 on the JP spring highly polished and flat.

i do have question, i have heard people using grease before but doesn't the grease caught all trash? does it end up on the carrier?

I kept a close eye on it for a while to see if it was gathering excessive trash or build up. I did not notice an increase of garbage in the buffer tube. No it does not get on the carrier. Like I said above less is more.

The Caa-ching noise describes it perfectly, the comp is more than loud enough I have just tuned into the spring noise now. It travels through the stock straight to me. Polishing a spring sounds difficult but worth a try. It will give me something else to do. And what is TW-25B? Thanks for the help and suggestions

Mil-Comm TW-25B synthetic lubricant

Wow, just when you think you have seen it all online in the forums- you all came up with a new one :surprise: Can honestly say that I am NO help with this one, but if I go out next time and the noise is bugging me- it is all your fault! Been shooting M16s, M4s and ARs since 17 when I enlisted, first time for everything! Have enjoyed seeing how much you all have done to take care of it though :cheers:

Now if you want to hear spring noise, try a Kel Tec Sub2000. You basically have your cheek on the buffer tube and being a blow back gun the bolt is HEAVY.

Edited by Tim/GA

One the other end is me.. all my AR's (a bunch) are all greased and all run all the time.

I did not "thunk a dis myslf" I just read and listened to my favorite AR Guru Derrick Martin of Accuracy Speaks.

Grease or don't. Noise or music. You pays your money and takes your chances.

Patrick

I added some grease to the buffer and spring on another AR today, much quieter!!! I still may try a JP spring but I am going to keep a very close watch on it and see how long it last, I will report in a couple hundred rounds

I only use a teflon spray lube on the spring and I can't hear any noise from it. But I've been shooting that tube in my competition rifle since 2007.

I dont hear it in my other rifles either.

Maybe you could just tune it out, like you would your wife or girl friend. ;)

Worth a mention that the Sprinco springs don't "sproing" either, but they are not flatwire. I wonder if its more to do with the Chrome Silicon construction rather than the design of the coils?