Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Czechmate 9 Major Loads and Mag Questions

38SuperDub

So I have been reading on here lately - looking at possibly getting the Czechmate for my open pistol. Questions I have:

1) What are you using for powder and are you getting consistant 9major loads out of it?

2) What mag basepads are you using to get extra rounds in the big stick? I see the ones on CZ-Custom say "Will not add round capacity to the 9mm mags"

Thanks a bunch!!!

So I have been reading on here lately - looking at possibly getting the Czechmate for my open pistol. Questions I have:

1) What are you using for powder and are you getting consistant 9major loads out of it?

2) What mag basepads are you using to get extra rounds in the big stick? I see the ones on CZ-Custom say "Will not add round capacity to the 9mm mags"

Thanks a bunch!!!

I use a 9mm Tac Sport for my 3-gunning and I have Angus' basepads on my mags and I dont fully agree with the statement that they dont add capacity ;)

The problem with the 9mm mags is that they are the same width as the .40 mags and have indentations on each side to guide the narrower follower. However, those indentations dont extend all the way down to the bottom of the mag, which means that if you load the mags so the follower ends up below the indentations, its very likely that it will hang up and not feed any rounds.

I can safely load 21 in all my mags and they reload smoothly and insert much easier than with the factory base, I can go to 22 but it starts to get iffy and if I load 23 I pretty much have a 50/50 shot at the follower getting hung.

The factory mags barely fit 20 and are somewhat hard to insert loaded to max, so with the basepads you get at least one extra round and a mag that inserts easier, def worth it according to me.

ETA: Oops, didnt see that "big stick" part of the question. :blush:

Edited by gose

AFAIK, there isnt a production basepad available to add to the 26 round capacity and fit the 170mm limit. I would love to be proven wrong though. Some guys were getting 27 after their mags broke in. Would like to see that up to 28 or 29 though.

I recently did some looking around and pm'ing to guys that have one. Autocomp, HS-6 and Silhouette (sp?) seem to be the choices with a 124gr bullet, I'm sure there are others though. You have to load short (which is probably ok with these powders) unless you ream the barrel, which I did with my Shadow so I could run the same loads as my 1911.

Edited by DWFAN

DFW - I thought the Czechmate was made to support longer loads for 9Major - am I wrong here?

Gose - this is good to know I can get an extra 1 in the 140mm mags - really looking to see bout getting the 170 up to the 28 region...

DFW - I thought the Czechmate was made to support longer loads for 9Major - am I wrong here?

It is chambered short. I am loading to about 1.120 OAL.

I am using AutoComp powder, but was going to experiment with Silhouette powder during winter. Anyone had any experience with Silhouette 9mm major loads?

It is chambered short. I am loading to about 1.120 OAL.

I am using AutoComp powder, but was going to experiment with Silhouette powder during winter. Anyone had any experience with Silhouette 9mm major loads?

Not specific to 1.120 my RN MTG 124gr (CMJ) load with Silhouette at 100 degrees is set 1.165 with SPP is 7.7gr @170pf, this same load turns into a 184pf moster at 38 degrees. Be aware it is reverse temp sensative.

For comparison my AutcoComp load is 7.0gr same bullet and OAL. Silhouette and AC shoot about the same in my full size gun but Shilhouette is noticably better in my shorty. In the winter I drop the load to 7.4gr.

Brandon,

I tried HS-6, auto-comp and Silhouette in my open gun. Auto-Comp was the clear winner. Those were loaded at 1.165". Not sure if the shorter lengths will affect you on the different powders as a type, but you will surely have to use less of it.

As I told you the other day, my advise is to buy a S_I just because of the support that is available.

Thanks Jeff - I'm still not sold and pricing open guns currently - just exploring the options is all....

The CZ is a bargain, but it is the road less traveled. I have 4 STI open guns in 9 major, and still would like to try the CZ. However, you can acquire a good used open gun here on the Forum. I've tried just about every powder you can cram enought into a 9 mm case to make major. Silhouette is #1, AutoComp #2, and HS6 #3. AC is probably the best when it comes to clean and temp stable, HS6 if funky oil smoke film dirty, has a bit more bite than the other two but is a bit flatter. I shot AA#7 at 10gr for a while shot very well but you need to go 1.180 or longer. Every gun is a bit different then the perception of each shooter can vary, you just have to try them out find one that you like and stick with it.

The main issue with loading long in the czechmate isn't he throating of the barrel but the magazines. I have been running minor loads in my CM and the longest I can load them out to is 1.160" until I start having reliability problems with the mags. I was told 6.8gr of N350 with a 124 or 125 gr bullet and a small rifle primer at 1.160" will get around 170pf out of the CM.

As far as the the big magazine I have the factory base pad and can load 26 into it with it loaded the full 1.160" but my short 95gr bullet steel loads I can only load to 24 without having nosedives. The shorter mags I have CZC base pads and run up to 23 reloadable without issue. The reason CZC says they will not add to capacity is every instance is different so they don't want to say it works because it will be assumed it will work every time.

FWIW, I shot one of these the other day at the WS Test Fire Range (Free CZ's and ammo!), but unfortunately all they had was factory 9. If you have small hands, it's definitely worth looking into though. There is a little safety/racker interference for lefties though. Plan to get a different racker.

for a little bit more money than the checkmate you can get the Dan Wesson Havoc Hi-cap 1911 you can get it in 9mm or 38 super...I almost bought the checkmate glad i didnt easy to make major and more loads out there for 38 super.

FWIW the slide racker can be removed and switched to the other side for lefties.

If you want to have a gun that there are a million parts for and just about any imaginable accessory available for I would recommend a high capacity 1911 (STI or Caspian) but if you want something different that everyone else wants to try out get the czechmate.

I forgot to mention in my previous reply that there currently isn't an extended base pad for the big magazine. I would have to double check but I think the big stick is a few millimeters short of the maximum 171.25mm allowed so a slightly exteneded base pad would help bring the capacity up.

Happy hunting

AA#5 works great with 115-147 jacketed and 125 lead as well, I've got over 80,000 rounds of major thru the gun and no problems, never missed power factor at any temp, look up glk21c, I turned him onto the powder and he's done quite a bit of chrono work, I just feel I don't have the right to list his work here,,but his results are spot on with what I've known for 18 plus years, good luck.

• 2 years later...

I shoot a checkmate for my open gun and this past match I was having issues with my gun not accepting my rounds as well as no cycling fully to eject the casing. My load I have for it is 7.0g of silhouette powder, 124g Montana gold fmj, and a 1.14 OAL. Any tips or advice on why my gun is acting up with this??

• 3 years later...