Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Aluminum Grip

Seth

Hello: The STI takes some fitting and I think that is where the problem was. Most people just installed it and tightened down the screws putting a bind on the grip. If you fit it correctly it will last a long time. I know of 3 now that have over 10,000 rounds and are going strong. They were fitted correctly :devil: Thanks, Eric

I dont claim to be an expert or anything. I just read a lot. According to STI you do not need to fit the aluminum grips.

it wont let me post links so add the dotcom

media.stiguns"dotcom"/ProductDocs/Catalog/STI_PartsAccessories2010.pdf

It states no fitting or special parts required.

I looked at the SV grip for mine but having to buy all new mags, no thanks

I put metal grips on 3 of my SVIs and was able to continue to use my existing magazines.

One part that does change, however, is the trigger - the one for the metal grip is a few thousandths wider.

Just to be clear, which grip did you install on the 3 SVI's that you were able to keep using your existing magazines? (Did you use SVI grips or STI and which size please?)

I put metal grips on 3 of my SVIs and was able to continue to use my existing magazines.

One part that does change, however, is the trigger - the one for the metal grip is a few thousandths wider.

Just to be clear, which grip did you install on the 3 SVI's that you were able to keep using your existing magazines? (Did you use SVI grips or STI and which size please?)

I'll answer for him......SV grips :cheers:

Did the Kool Aid make your tongue a funny color?

tongue.gif

Fanboi.

Doesn’t the SV metal grip come with the wider trigger bow (but without the insert)?

To reiterate what others have said there should be no problems using STI mags in an SVI metal grip.

Hello: The aluminum grips add some weight and give more feedback. They give the 2011 a different feel when shooting. Some like it and some don't. I like the feel of it on the open pistol more than the limited pistol. I have let others shoot the limited pistol with the grip and they like it better than the plastic ones. The only way to tell if you like it is to try one. Thanks, Eric

Did the Kool Aid make your tongue a funny color?

tongue.gif

Fanboi.

If BLUE is funny, then yes :goof:

Doesn’t the SV metal grip come with the wider trigger bow (but without the insert)?

To reiterate what others have said there should be no problems using STI mags in an SVI metal grip.

Really? Does the grip require some sort of modification? A good friend of mine got a brand new SV in July with the steel grip and his STI mags won't even go in the grip to the catch. Has something changed since then?

Seth,

Bobby at FGW did the one I have on my open 9mm some 9 month's

ago. Still going strong-RE: no cracks in the grip at all, especially

around the mag release.

Bobby said something like- get it fit right and it will last a life time!

I know other's had them fit as well by gunsmiths, but they still had a

problem. I don't know, I love the one he did for me-and O ya I have

a running count on this grip at 7k- as of today!:cheers:

Really? Does the grip require some sort of modification? A good friend of mine got a brand new SV in July with the steel grip and his STI mags won't even go in the grip to the catch. Has something changed since then?

Hmm, haven’t heard that before. Usually it’s the other way around where the new SV signature mags don’t fit in the STI plastic grip. The newer SV trigger bow is wider than it used to be to accommodate the wider grip. I had to form an SVI trigger bow down to fit my STI a few months ago.

I dont claim to be an expert or anything. I just read a lot. According to STI you do not need to fit the aluminum grips.

it wont let me post links so add the dotcom

media.stiguns"dotcom"/ProductDocs/Catalog/STI_PartsAccessories2010.pdf

It states no fitting or special parts required.

That's pretty hilarious. It took me four hours of filing and sanding to get mine to fit. Out of the box it would not have gone on the frame even with liberal application of a hammer.

Anyway SV makes an aluminum version as well so you can go that route if you like without adding the weight of a steel grip http://sviguns.com/1101.php?indx=10

Edited by MoNsTeR