Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dave Sevigny flinching?

Xander

TJ picked up the dirt after "LAMR" with a loaded pistol. I saw someone do that at a match and the R.O said he would DQ him if he did that again.

Mmhmm. And hopefully you asked him what rule that would be under?

Edited by DonovanM

Watch TGOs video posted not too long ago. He talks about it a little there. The thing is it's very difficult to 'teach' that push, it's something that happens organically as you drive the gun and sights with your eyes.

I think personally if you going to talk about someone while he is doing a stage you should do it at a farther distance so it does not disturbs the shooter. Granted I dunno for sure if Rob or Dave could hear the comments being made about them but the people who were filming seemed close enough for them to possibly hear.

I think personally if you going to talk about someone while he is doing a stage you should do it at a farther distance so it does not disturbs the shooter. Granted I dunno for sure if Rob or Dave could hear the comments being made about them but the people who were filming seemed close enough for them to possibly hear.

That is why it's a good idea to double plug.

Question: What's the difference between "timing the gun" and "flinching"?

Answer: Probably about a hundredth of a second.

When I've answered that question for newer shooters before, I always say "one happens before the shot breaks, the other happens after."

Sometimes I add "flinching is a result of fear or tension, timing is a result of control."

-rvb

There's no secret to "driving the gun". All you're seeing is the body playing out a motor program you've taught it. It expects the gun to go off. It knows already that 5 or 6 milliseconds after it pulls the trigger, it's going to need to pull the gun back down and push it back forward to return the sights to point of aim. It's not a feedback loop motor program, so the steps play out by rote. The gun doesn't go bang, so you see the results as a seeming flinch - which should tell you something vital about trying to self-diagnose a flinch using a "ball and dummy" drill ... (that is... you can't).