Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching from G35 to Para 16.40

D roc

Im sure i will get mixed opinions from you 1911, custom 1911, and glock shooters about this. I just miss shooting and holding that metal frame. Not big into USPSA where i feel i need to invest a couple of thousand into a gun. Just thinking about selling the glocks and buying another 1911 for carry and one limited. love the G35 so i may keep it in the safe anyway and just use a Para for shooting limited. what are yalls thoughts... Glock or 1911?

I started shooting USPSA before Glocks existed (to the best of my knowledge) and Para wasn't around. When I saw Para's frame kit I bought one and was the first around to have a hicap .45. Thousands of rounds later I still use it for USPSA! I bought a P16 off the classifieds here and shot it for a while. Sold it and went back to the .45 because .45 holes are easier for my old eyes to see at longer ranges. Loaded to 1.2 the P16 worked 100%. Really liked the P16 but...

Good luck whatever you do.

Richard

PS: Para has been selling 6" top ends at a discount. Thought about getting one and having it lightened!

Edited by chirpy

I've got a G34 and a G35. Tried to shoot them both in competition. At the end of the day I couldn't get past the trigger.Even though I had them worked on. Got a Para 16-40. Love the feel and being able to get 20 rounds in the mag and one in the pipe. Recoil is easier to control with the Para too.

Better get the platform champions use. Non sponsored or sponsored. They should know what works.

Never seen an open glock shooter beat a seeded shooter with his 1911 hi cap or 2011.

I could be wrong though coz there's this French guy with a tangfolio open kicking everyone's behind in the worldshoot everytime in open division. :)

Edited by Jasonub

I say use whatever makes you happy. If you like 1911s then get the Para, if your indifferent then keep what you have and shoot the heck out of it. I'm in the same boat myself in choosing between a Para 16-40 and a 5.25 XDM in .40 (when they come out, which will hopefully be soon). For me I need to use something that can run anything I put in it since I currently do not loan my own, nor do I have the luxury to always order from one of the reloaders out there.

Personally I love 1911s and I am trying to find a way to get my Government 1911 down to a Commander length for concealed carry and get a limited gun for less than 1000. Naturally I am not counting holsters, mags, etc etc etc. I have to admit it is a struggle in many ways trying to choose a gun I will be happy with.

Whatever you choose, good luck

Thanks for the advice. I decided to go for a Para. When I started the thread I was leaning towards a 1911. The guy who bought my first 1911 brought it by for mento shoot and I fell in love with that gun again. Maybe it's a weight thing and grip angle... but it felt great in my large hands.

"Better eat your Wheaties", as the old saying goes.

The G-35 is about 27 ounces empty. The Para is about 14 ounces heavier.

I owned a Para Open Gun in 38 Super for about 15 minutes in the early-90s. I built the gun and took it to the range to test-fire it. Loved the way that it shot (apparently because all of that mass just soaked up the recoil), but after I started doing draws and transitions for the afternoon, I found that my shoulder and elbows were sore. I figured that it was from the weight.

I called and ordered an STI frame while I was driving home from the range. It came in the next day, so I stripped all the parts off of the Para frame and put them on the STI. The Para lived in the bottom drawer of my toolbox until it became so rusted and pitted that I put it out of its misery with a bandsaw....

Just my opinion.

" Para frame and put them on the STI. The Para lived in the bottom drawer of my toolbox until it became so rusted and pitted that I put it out of its misery with a bandsaw....

If you have that problem again just pm me.

I have both a G35 and the P16. G35 for production is ok, but the trigger will never be as good as the Para P16. I can shoot the Para faster than the G35, trigger wise. Both have 12 pound springs in them. Both are capable of Major, but I usually reserve the G35 for minor in production. Para P16 in Limited. Less felt recoil with the Para too.

If I only had one, I would want the Para. But I have the best of both worlds...gottem' both. :cheers:

Edited to add: I did replace the stock Para trigger group with a 5 piece Cylinder and Slide drop-in kit.

Edited by Mark R

Keep the g35 for home defense and occasional competition.like mark said you can use it for production too. Glocks are good to use in an emergency since you don't have to worry about whether you depressed the thumb/grip safeties.just point and shoot.

Paras are an amazing value for what you get. I would gladly trade my STI for a Para and $$$ considering that I could probably get 2 fully loaded Paras for what I have in my STI. That's not saying anything against the STI, I love it and I shoot it a lot. It's just expensive compared to Para, and a Para is 80%+ the gun that my STI is, anyway, at 1/2 the price.

Well in my opinion glock shoot well the controls are simple. Parts are cheap and so are mags and the dang thangs always go bang....but!!!!! Nothing beats the inherent accuracy from mr John brownings design 100yrs ago and it still proves itself to this day. Happy hunting there was one on here for 700 not long ago I got both mine in same deal two months ago on here so good luck

The Para is a boat anchor comparatively speaking IMO. As an aside. The gun should be low on the list of priority's in a discipline wholly dependent on technique. Buying is easy, winning isn't.

Jim

The Para is a boat anchor comparatively speaking IMO. As an aside. The gun should be low on the list of priority's in a discipline wholly dependent on technique. Buying is easy, winning isn't.

Jim

I understand that it isn't the gun that makes you better, I'm looking to get back to 1911's. Before I started shooting I used to own a single stack 1911 just as a truck gun. Now I'm looking for a double stack option without spending the money on a sti or svi. Im just trying to find a good 1911 to build own and improve with rather than dumping more money into my glock set up. Did find a decent price sti for sale locally but kinda thinking something must be wrong for it going for only 1000.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Jasonub,

I read your post #7 with intrest, and quiz if you ever heard of a young skinny shooter from Georgia name - Dave Sevigny ?????? Seems he has smoked the hide of a lot of backsides shooting every thing you can imagine. LOL

But he won the Single Stack National this year shooting a 1911.

I am not a hardcore Glocker, I have Paras, STI, and Springers, but fond of tubbawares too.

Have FUN,

Perry

Im sure i will get mixed opinions from you 1911, custom 1911, and glock shooters about this. I just miss shooting and holding that metal frame. Not big into USPSA where i feel i need to invest a couple of thousand into a gun. Just thinking about selling the glocks and buying another 1911 for carry and one limited. love the G35 so i may keep it in the safe anyway and just use a Para for shooting limited. what are yalls thoughts... Glock or 1911?

Two different beast with entirely different trigger systems. I shoot a G-17 and S&W M&P9Pro as well as a nu,ber of 1911's and PO wide bodies. The 1911 style trigger is the easiest for me to get fast and accuraet second shots.