Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Division choice for beginners?

KungFuNerd

Between SSP and CDP are either better for beginners?

I don't have a personal preference (yet anyway).

My accuracy is tighter on my 1911 due to the trigger (GI Iron sights), Glock 17 recoil management is easier, 9mm is cheaper to shoot.

I feel like cleaning up my trigger technique on the Glock will benefit my 1911 shooting in the long run.

I want to pick one for the time being and learn the game on one pistol.

Thoughts?

P.S.

In USPSA it seems more obvious as in Single Stack I would be shooting against .38 and 9mm with my .45

The field is much thicker in Production but I'm not concerned about "winning" at this point.

I feel its easier to start with the Glock in SSP til you fully learn the game. I just started IDPA this past April and went with a Glock for SSP. I do have both platforms, but since I use a Glock for CCW I figured get more trigger time/practical practice with that while I learn the game. I do love the 1911 trigger and potential accuracy. My first competitive shooting was with traditional bullseye, my other pistol competition has been Glock sponsored GSSF matches. I am now learning the balance of speed and accuracty. My slow bullseye accuracy did not transfer over to fast IDPA accuracy. Totally different games. I am pushing the faster side and notice my accuracy is slowly catching up. Learning to shoot faster. The other part is planning each stage/learning the game. I am just now getting comfortable and relaxed. Walk throughs used to confuse me.

Are both pistols 100% reliable? At our club matches the guns with the most jams are the 1911's. These are mostly stock. There is one new shooter that insist on using his 1911, but every match he has some kind of reliability problems which ultimately affect his mental game. He's always close to the bottom.

Go with the Glock. I shoot a G19 and use a T-shirt as a cover garment.

i am a 1911 guy thats what i use for ccw. i have zero problems with my 1911...not a big fan of the glocks but thats just my opinion...and you know what they say about that those...i second the comment pick what division alows you to shoot the gun you like and want to shoot.

Which division is more popular at the matches you shoot? Around here, in CDP you'll be shooting against only a few other people, while SSP is by far the biggest division. I like having lots of competition to compare myself against.

Pick a pistol that you can run 500 rounds a week through for awhile and I suggest 9mm since it is cheaper. I am classified in SSP and ESP but normally shoot ESP. I have in the past used a mag-well on my Glock 34 but no longer use one since I also shoot USPSA Production and have to take the mag-well off :-) So shoot what you want, pick a pistol that is reliable and have some fun!

In USPSA single stack you see alot more 40/45s than 9mm or 38 super. 40/and 45 are major in uspsa where the 9mm and 38super is minor(can have 10+1 in minor vs 8+1 in major. In Idpa pick which ever you shoot best. Need to do some Idpa myself and plan on going ESP with the 9mm 1911. Best of both worlds, cheap to shoot, zero recoil and the 1911 trigger. Shoot it some in Single stack with the minor scoring disadvantage but I just shoot it so much better than the 45.

Go with what you acualy carry. IMHO building proficiancy and confidance with your carry gun should be a high priority. Then you can branch out.

I carry a 1911 .45, so thats what I compete with. I reload to make up for the cost of ammo. I suffered about three months trying to get my loads right, but now I'm shooting better than ever.

I would recommend picking one and sticking with it for a while rather than switching back and forth. They are both good platforms that have a home in IDPA.

It is true that ammo for the 9mm is a lot cheaper whether you reload or buy factory. If you buy factory ammo the 9mm is also likely closer to the required pf. I believe 230gr hardball is typically around 830fps which works out to around 190pf. You would likely be shooting against other shooters who are downloading their ammo to 170pf or so.

You may also find the glock a tad bit simpler operationally since there is no manual safety to manage and there is no need for a barney mag. If the stage calls for you to start at division capacity, topped off, you can simply put 11 rounds in your start mag.

In practice, I am finding that improving my Glock trigger technique improves my 1911 shooting as well.

The Glock exposes some slop in my technique that I could get away with more on the 1911.

I'll focus on SSP/Production

I don't always carry the same pistol.

Depends upon what I am wearing and where I am going.

The mechanics of the 1911 have always seemed very natural to me.

But in 'the game', reloads will happen more often with the CDP.

That's the kind of thing I was wondering about in my original question.

The IDPA rules say the max round count per string is 18 rounds (see p. 50).

So, even in CDP, you should only need one reload. The trick is to make all your shots count and fast.

18 round stage is a 2 reload deal for CDP. 8+1 then 8 rounds in the other mags.

The IDPA rules say the max round count per string is 18 rounds (see p. 50).

So, even in CDP, you should only need one reload. The trick is to make all your shots count and fast.

18 round stage is a 2 reload deal for CDP. 8+1 then 8 rounds in the other mags.

I should have payed better attention in grade school. Thanks :lol:

Yep....3 mags for 18 rounds.

And really, 8+1 feels tight in my mags.

I carry 7+1

Just as a point of reference, unless a download is specified by the COF, you must load your mags to division capacity or their maximum mechanical capacity. I don't think you can claim an 8 round mag is "kind of tight" and load 7 rounds. I assume the reason for this is so that people can't download their magazines to place their reloads at a more advantageous place.

So if you ever do decide to shoot this gun in a match you are either going to have to live with 8 rounds being tight or get some different mags.

There's no "opinion" necessary. You must begin the stage (after LAMR but before "Stand by") with the magazine in the gun loaded either to its max capacity or division max capacity. On page 23 of the Rule Book, in the Custom Defensive Pistol section we find:

E. Be loaded to the division capacity of eight (8) rounds in the magazine plus one (1) round in the chamber. Should division capacity not be achievable because of lower magazine capacity, load should be to maximum mechanical capacity of magazine plus one (1) round in the chamber. Competitors must use the same capacity magazines through out the competition (Example: if you start with a 7 round magazine, you must use that capacity magazine throughout the match).

If you want to carry seven rounds in your magazines, you need to be running 7-round mags. Though I must admit is would take a pretty hardcore SO to call you on it at a club match, it could certainly happen.

Well....that's pretty clear :)

Some old school guys had poisoned me on hi cap/extra rounds ("if God had intended for a 1911 to hold 9 rounds....")

And warned me about stuffed mags hitting the extractor etc...

All that said, I do have to firmly seat my mags under a chambered round if they are full.

Edited by KungFuNerd

• 2 weeks later...

Well....that's pretty clear :)

Some old school guys had poisoned me on hi cap/extra rounds ("if God had intended for a 1911 to hold 9 rounds....")

And warned me about stuffed mags hitting the extractor etc...

All that said, I do have to firmly seat my mags under a chambered round if they are full.

Then just get a 7-round conversion kit from Wilson -- it's a new spring and follower. Then all your mags are 7 rounds and you are following the rules to the letter.

Or get Wilson Combat ETM mags -- they are 8 rounds but are easier to seat the mags under a chambered round than the Wilson ETM 47D mags.

Edited by M1911