Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Buffers Good/Bad

Baileyj925

In my experience the rubber buffers actually give you more recoil, not less. This makes sense if you think about it. By taking up space inside the recoil spring tunnel, the rubber buffer doesn't allow the slide to come as far to the rear when cycling - you have in effect shortened the slide stroke. Therefore when the slide comes fully to the rear during cycling the back of the dust cover slams into the buffer really hard. Also, shortening the slide stroke can - and frequently does - cause other problems such as failures to feed and failures of the action to lock open when empty.

Don't increase your recoil spring weight either. Not will only will this give you more felt recoil and muzzle flip as the slide is coming to the rear, it will also make your slide slam forward harder during cycling, which can lead to serious muzzle dip, also the gun pounds itself harder as it goes back into battery, leading to less durability, not more.

I used Wilson shok buffs for years on my Colt Commander, no problems, no FTF's FTE etc. I beleive it is good as far as not beating the crap out of my $1200 pistola, muzzle flip was not changed in my opinion. No more Commander, my officers RIA cannot accept a shok buff or I would be using them still. Try them, it's $6.95, you like it...great, you hate it...so what? it's the price of a hero sandwhich- you be the judge.good luck

i use buffers on my open gun and have never had a problem. the one in the gun has seen 3k rounds and not come apart yet with a 9 lb recoil spring. im pushing a 124gr bullet at 1440 fps with it. not saying it helps but it doesnt hurt.

Shok-buffs are not for everybody and not all guns are machined with enough clearance to allow for the extra room necessary for a standard (.100-.105 thick) Shok-buff.

I have 5 5" .45 autos that I use for indoor target use and all are equipped with Shok-buffs.

Les Baer, at least older Premier II's generally will not accept a standard (.100-.105 thick) Shok-buff and have enough room to slingshot, something which I consider necessary for at least target guns. (May or may not hold slide back / open on last round fired).

Ed Brown, at least the Executive Target models, do not have enough room to run a standard thick (.100-.105 thick) Shok-buff and have enough room to slingshot. (May or may not hold slide back / open on last round fired).

Wilson Combat issues all of their 5", at least their .45 autos, with Shok-buffs. They do not believe in using Shok-buffs with less than a 5" gun.

Shok-buffs can cause problems and are not for everybody.

Shok-buffs, just like FLGR's, have lots of haters.

I use FLGR's in all of my guns also.

I run Dawson Aluminum Shock Buffs in my open pistol also along with an angle change on the firing pin stop.

But in a five inch SS/CDP 45acp found it's best to leave the rubber buffs out and do the tuning with spring weight.

Everyone's grip and load vary so do the tuning on the clock to see which works best for you.

Thanks for all of the feedback, its truely a learning experience....I have a Kimber 4" CDP(Allum Frame). I am just getting into this and I want to shoot SS but dont have the dough to drop on an expensive (match only) rig just yet.....I am trying to figure out some tricks to make this Kimber work and less of a beast (recoil) until I can get some more experience. It has about 1700 rounds through it and the frame is showing some good wear. Everything in it is stock Kimber including the 22lb Spring. If you had to shoot this what would you change, anything, or leave it alone?

Almost 50/50. Thanks for the link. I ordered a DP Magwell and a set of these.....we'll see if they will run. Either way a +1 for experience, and next time I'll just order a sandwich. I am a bit skeptical because if I don't clean my Kimber every couple hundred rounds it runs like crap and adding something to the mix may upset it further.