Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How the heck to keep from blinking when I pull the trigger?

TH3180

The title really says it all. I know I am doing it, I know I shouldn't be. I have no clue on how the heck to fix it. I don't do it when I am dry firing only when I am at the range and shooting a match. Any help you can give would be great.

Thanks,

Tim

The title really says it all. I know I am doing it, I know I shouldn't be. I have no clue on how the heck to fix it. I don't do it when I am dry firing only when I am at the range and shooting a match. Any help you can give would be great.

If you aren't blinking during dry-practice, that's good. Perhaps you are anticipating the shot, and blink as a nervous type of action while actually shooting...? Just a thought...

If you aren't blinking during dry-practice, that's good. Perhaps you are anticipating the shot, and blink as a nervous type of action while actually shooting...? Just a thought...

I think that is what is going on. I just don't know how to fix it. I think people would point and laugh if I walked aroung the steel shoot with duct tape holding my eyes open. :D

I think that is what is going on. I just don't know how to fix it. I think people would point and laugh if I walked aroung the steel shoot with duct tape holding my eyes open. :D

That's true, plus it might hurt having duct tape holding your eyes open... :roflol: But, if you can get a surprise break on the trigger the shot may go off before you actually blink. At least you know what has to be corrected, and with lots of practice you will be able to make that correction.

Try changing your objective from "not blinking" to "seeing the front sight rise". Worked wonders for me.

The last time I went to the indoor range I was looking for muzzle flash. I am going again tomorrow. I will work on really looking for that front sight to come up.

Try changing your objective from "not blinking" to "seeing the front sight rise". Worked wonders for me.

This really does work!

Condition your body to disregard explosions and loud noises through practice. :cheers:

This can work too! One good way is to practice plates with another shooter and try just looking for that front sight the whole time they are firing with you.

I find that the indoor range makes me a lot more tense than shooting outside. While I don't flinch, I do still have moments of anticipation-- and they are vastly more common in the stalls than they are shooting into a berm.

If you're not doing so already, be sure to double plug. Anything you can do to alleviate tension is a good idea. Remember that you get battered more by the muzzle blast in confined surroundings, so don't hesitate to step outside for a few minutes from time to time. I also do my level best to stay as far away from other shooters as possible while indoors, although this may not be a possibility for you depending on your circumstances.

The most effective drill that I've found (for myself when I get really jumpy, and for others who are completely new to shooting) is to fire into a berm/backstop without a target present. Focus on the front post, see it lift and fall back into the notch, and be sure to follow through. Once you run a target out, don't hesitate to go back to this drill if things are going wrong. I also discovered that breaking up the live fire strings with some dry fire seems to settle down flinch in a lot of people, and tends to relax me a bit when I'm having issues with anticipation.

Just got home from the range. I really worked hard on watching the front sight. It seems to be helping. I think this is something that is going to take a long time to master.

It may take a while but keep the practice up. I had a first-shot flinch when shooting at the range that eventually went away after about 5,000 rounds. Watching for the front sight to rise is also excellent advice.

That movie is about a 9.5 on my Weird S--t-o-meter.

An older shooter asked me if I had ever seen my empties as they left the gun, and I replied that I don't know if I ever noticed it. The next time I practiced, I was foucing on the front sight rising off the target, and you know what? I was getting a flash of the empty brass exiting to the right. Them old guys know some stuff, don't they?

I know one thing, even with a surprise break, my eyes still blink when the shot goes off. Just like my eyes blink if the is an explosion nearby or a load is dropped. The thing is are you blinking before the shot (thus, indicating that you are forcing the shot) or with the shot.

I can't control all my reflexes, but I can concentrate on the target and a smooth squeeze of the trigger.

Blinking is a natural reaction, but that just means people that don't blink are unnatural. Try using both ear plugs and ear muffs, we call this double plugging. If you are shooting a major load change to minor load for 2 or 3 months, then go back to major. We all blinked and our brains shut down for a few nano seconds when we started, after about 20,000-30,000 rounds you will become one with the gun and you won't hear it or feel it when it goes off, you will be in Zen nothing but targets and sights.

If they say they never blinked, then it is a fabrication.

Keep at it it might take more than 30K in a stubborn case but the day will come.