Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beven Grams and 29 rounds

Andrew B

After being beaten by 3/10 of second on a stage by a guy with 29 rounds in his mag when I had to reload due to 27, I decided to go supercomp, tune the mags and do what was necessary to get 29. My competitor rubbed it in.

Anyone who shoots open will understand this fixation. When our equipment is challenged, we can not let it stand. It is a point of honor (obsession).

I bought brass, aftec extractors, a shell plate, worked up loads, ad nausem.

I bought the new grams 13 coil spring with the new follower and 2.5 mm base pads and reassembled my mags.

Imagine my disgust when I went to load the mag and got 28 rounds into it.

I emailed Beven Grams about this and he replied in minutes with his phone number and to call him about it. So I did.

You need the 4mm base pad to make this happen and you might exceed the 171.25 mm rule. Measure it and if it fails, send it to Beven who will tune the body to get it legal (for a fee, only fair).

Beven volunteered to swap out the 2.5 base pads for the 4 mm I need. He was extraordinarily gracious about the whole thing and a pleasure to talk to.

I am writing to put him on the pedestal that I have reserved for the many customer oriented vendors that I have met on this quest and in the gun community. Great guy.

Andrew B,

Bob at Brazos Custom tuned my 170 and it holds 29. The down side to this is if you continually load to the max, it puts added down pressure on the mag release causing the grip frame to crack. But it sure feels good to know that you have 30 rds at your fingertip.

DaG

I can get 29 rounds of Supercomp in my Grams tuned mag. But it's *really* hard to seat. It's good for the rare occasion that the one extra round will eleminate a mag change. But usually I only load it to 28.

I had Beven tune an STI mag with follower and basepad for 29 rounds...so far has been great...

I also have a couple of SV mags with the new follower/spring combo and use those for 28 rounds...

I've had Beven work his magic on some STI mags recently. His work is everything people say it is. Capacity, reliability, workmanship: awesome! Highly recommended!

Gee, I thought 26 in my STI tube was cool....

Stock STI follower, base pad, and uncut wolff spring.

Changed to Grams follower and spring, poof, 28.

Next up a 4mm base pad - I feel the need!

Gotta work up some 31 round stages........

Most club matches in this part of the world seem to have a couple of 31~34 round stages!

The "recommended" balance of short-medium-long seemed to get lost somewhere in the desire to make Open shooters reload :-).

Kevin

Gotta work up some 31 round stages........

Most club matches in this part of the world seem to have a couple of 31~34 round stages!

The "recommended" balance of short-medium-long seemed to get lost somewhere in the desire to make Open shooters reload :-).

Kevin

I hate that (oops, wrong area). What people miss is that on an 8 or 9 round short stage, NOBODY has to reload (well, except the revo wierdos) and thus it's all fair-n-square again. Right? Right?

Whatever.. Looks like I'm doomed to shoot 32-round throw-another-target-in-the-array stages forever unless I move overseas.

I almost never use a big stick. About the only time I use one is on a 20-24 round field course with a couple of pieces of steel thrown in and no obvious place to reload without the reload costing me in terms of loss of attention.

I don't particularly like to have stages that work out to have round counts in the high twenty range. I don't want one shooter (that gets 29 rounds) to have an advantage over the shooter that get 27 or 28. Especially since I don't have a mag gauge handy to ensure that everybody is shooting a true 170mm stick. (I might have to take Vince's advice and carry a ruler in the range bag.)

I might add a target so that ALL the Open shooters have to reload. Not to make them reload, but to keep the equipment out of the equation as much as possible.

I might add a target so that ALL the Open shooters have to reload.  Not to make them reload, but to keep the equipment out of the equation as much as possible.

Why? Equipment and choice thereof is a key factor in this game or every stage would be two targets (gotta be nice to the revo shooters that might miss) and you'd start indexed on one of them (cut that holster out of the equation, you know).

9x25 died out because it only got 25 rounds in the mag. If everybody had cut their 26-round stages to 23 rounds instead, they'd still be with us.

I keep telling people (and they never listen) that ~26 rounds including 4 or 5 steel is FAR more intimidating to an Open shooter than a stage with 31 and any amount of steel. Same goes for Limited and 17 rounds, or L10 and 8 rounds. "Do I have to reload or not? Will my competition reload? Can I risk it?" is a whole lot more entertaining than "Ok, I'll do a reload there".

I keep telling people (and they never listen) that ~26 rounds including 4 or 5 steel is FAR more intimidating to an Open shooter than a stage with 31 and any amount of steel.

I agree. And, I knew somebody would ask "why". Heck, I would be the one asking "why" if somebody else posted it. :D

On the flip side, I have seen shooter after shooter struggle for a year or two to figure out how to get that 29th round in the gun.

And, I gotta wonder...if we gauges every big stick, how many people would we send home packing?

I'd much rather design the stage with 24-25 rounds...or 32+

Flexmoney quoted

"And, I gotta wonder...if we gauges every big stick, how many people would we send home packing?"

I totally agree Flexmoney. I'm all for guaging mags at the same time you show up at crono, or something along that line. This is why we have a quage, but I don't ever see one, except at my table in the venders tent. You would be surprized how many mags I see come across my table that don't fit the guage. I always inform the shooter of this rule when I see a problem with length and tell them they hand better not get caught using it in the match, but I don't think that they are worried about it, because it is not enforced much.

I know quite a few folks got hit at Space City by a mag gauge... Easy to check... after you shoot a big stage, the scorekeeper picks up your mag and slaps it in his handy gauge. I wonder why it's not done more often.

I don't ever see one, except at my table in the venders tent.

Please tell me who has them because I spent considerable time calling vendors looking for one. And yes, I called EGW too. Ends up I'm borrowing one from my area coordinator, but still would like to own one.....

Somewhere on here are instructions on making one I posted a while back.. If you're squeeking by, you'll want the official one, but it's easy to see if a +2 is on the wrong tube..

Bill,

EGW makes them, and I don't think any vendors stock them.

Plus there is a month or so backlog right now from EGW for them. I ordered one after Lee go the boot at Space City and that is what I was told.