Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beven Grams and 29 rounds

Andrew B

I ordered a gauge from EGW about a week back so I'm contributing to filling the batch!

I've got the 2.5mm based on my 170s now and can get 28 in (with tuned tubes - it was 27 reliably with random tubes) and am curious to see if the 4mm will fit. That plus switching to supercomp should give me 29, no?

Kevin

Kevin,

Any tube that I tune, gets checked for OAL in the USPSA Mag Length Guage with my 4mm in mind, even if you do not have my 4mm base pad yet. That way the 4mm pad can be added at any time. This goes for the 141.25 and 171.25 mag setups. So if I tuned it, you should be good on OAL. If not, then you will need to check.

With SuperComp brass, 29 rounds is the mark, some call it tight, but it is 100% reliable and it will go in the gun. Regular 38 Super brass can be the same round count if you keep your OAL on the ammo on the shorter side, (1.225" +/-.005")

Actually, these were tuned tunes that I bought from Bob at Brazos, after you pointed out that out of spec tubes was likely to be the source of my problems. Some day, I'll send you mags for tuning the whole package but the down time was less by this route :D

Kevin

With SuperComp brass, 29 rounds is the mark, some call it tight, but it is 100% reliable and it will go in the gun. Regular 38 Super brass can be the same round count if you keep your OAL on the ammo on the shorter side, (1.225" +/-.005")

Beven

How does the OAL effect the round count in a mag? and does it do the same for other calibers?

thanks

Bob

snokid quote

"How does the OAL effect the round count in a mag? and does it do the same for other calibers?"

38 Super is rimed brass, or semi rimed if you want to be technical. The rims will stack better in the mag if you give some room for the cartridges to slide back and forth. It is not a perfect round count fix, but it does help if you are on the edge of getting 29 and need just a little more room. Personally, I would not waste my time with 38 Super. SuperComp or any of the 9x brass is the best for feeding out of the mag. The rim of the top cartridge does not get stuck in the groove of the next lower cartridge in the mag like 38 Super does.

When you ask about other calibers needing to be shorter, I am assuming you meant SuperComp or the 9x. Round count will not change there because the rim and the case diameter are the same. Only feeding will change when changing the OAL on those calibers. It is ok to be on the shorter side of OAL, but being too long will cause the cartridge to wedge into the front and back of the mag tube. I like to see a maximum of 1.235" OAL.

Bevin does a great job tuning mags. I have his and bobs,

Both work good, bevins is a little smother loading. I have 170’s

With 4mm pads and round count is 28 with the 28 fairly tight.

You can load to 28 but you have to seat the mag hard. If you send

Bevin your mags, just don’t be in a hurry to get them back . I know

He had machine problems but it took 7 months turn around..

And yes they have room to spare in the mag guage.

I would recomend him if your going to have someone tune your mags.