Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pmags

gardnerxx

Nor-cal Practical Shooters put on a awesome 2-gun match (rifle/shotgun). My first stage of the day, my Pmag lip cracked forcing a failure to feed... Totally jacked up my stage. Anyone else have that experience?

Sonny

They are great mags however like all man made items they do get worn and break eventually. I have only had one split the feed lip. I have had many more Gi mags meet their maker.

Pat

Its a consumable part that you will replace. All mags are.

My worst AR mags have been a 10 pak I got from C-Products about 5 years ago. Had 7 of them with various issues.

The Pmags work as well as any and hold up just fine overall.

Point is all mags will eventually fail.

Pmags are consumables. Keep spares and inspect prior to the match. I am going to try out some of the Lancer L5 mags with steel feed lips because the Pmags don't stand up the the pressure from 300BLK rounds.

Where is the pressure difference between a 300 blk and .223?

I've had some bad experiences with them. Nothing dramatic but also in running some stages in major matches I do see them fail more than steel mags. Conversely I think Daniel Horner ran them at the Pro/AM, he probably doenst use them for long though....... its a crap shoot. I have GI mags wtih GI followers, an HK mag & C-products that have been absolutely GREAT.

I have been using them scince they became available. I own and use at least a couple dozen. I have two that cracked at the spine at the top. One happened in 2009 at fb3g, on the first stage of the day, it was darn cold and may have contributed, the other I noticed during practice. Both were replaced by Magpul. I have also trashed 4-5 gi aluminum mags in the same amount of time. Some were defects others were clearly they could not take the abuse. Magpuls seem to take the abuse better. I use both in practice, I only trust the pmags at a big match. I do check the spine area carefully now though before each stage.

Pmags are consumables. Keep spares and inspect prior to the match. I am going to try out some of the Lancer L5 mags with steel feed lips because the Pmags don't stand up the the pressure from 300BLK rounds.

Where is the pressure difference between a 300 blk and .223?

Pressure might have been the wrong word. Tension may be better. For me to get 30 rounds of 150gr FMJ to feed consistently I had to step up to the Wolff +10% springs plus derib the mags. I think the slam seating of the additional weight/force is what cracked the lip on my mags because it was the right side that crack on my 3 mags.

I found out at Rocky Mtn that one of my P-Mags had a cracked feed lip. got home and inspected the rest of my mags.

found another one. called magpul and they said to send them back and they would take care of me. after all of these years they are the only company who will replace broken mags. of course shipping back and forth is about the same as just buying two new ones . . . but the customer service thought is what counts. . . . the hard part is getting the Nordic extensions off the p-mags. . . .thoese wee little screws are rusted over. . . . any thoughts Tim?

I've had some bad experiences with them. Nothing dramatic but also in running some stages in major matches I do see them fail more than steel mags. Conversely I think Daniel Horner ran them at the Pro/AM, he probably doenst use them for long though....... its a crap shoot. I have GI mags wtih GI followers, an HK mag & C-products that have been absolutely GREAT.

I keep hearing people say steel mags. Standard USGI mags that most people are familiar with are alluminum, not steel. The only steel mags of any quality are HK mags made for the 416. As for P mags my experience has been very positive as I said before. Just one mag failure in some 50 different mags I own.I have used them hard in the game and at work. About the only weakness I have seen is in the extreme cold -40 below and they are tight in some lowers and don't always want to drop free. Compared to USGI mags they are far more durable, hold 30 rounds while being reloadable and you can add a lot of accessories to them like Nordic extensions and Springer Precision Firebird magazine couplers. Like I had before I have had a lot more GI mags fail me than P mags from use and abuse.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Nor-cal Practical Shooters put on a awesome 2-gun match (rifle/shotgun). My first stage of the day, my Pmag lip cracked forcing a failure to feed... Totally jacked up my stage. Anyone else have that experience?

Sonny

I was there when it happened. It was painful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had one crack on me in iraq. i ended up throwing it in my tuff box and found it when i got home. i loaded it up and took it to the range to test it and it ran flawlessly. i ended up sending it back to magpul for a replacement though.

One acronym I've never forgotten....SPORTS. For those not in the know....Slap, Pull, Observe, Release, Tap, Squeeze. With bad feed lips you'll notice the problem somewhere around R. I've been out 7 years and still practice the manuever just to stay on top of things.

For the leo side of things I was taught a bit different. If the rifle does not fire. Push/pull (on the mag) then rack and roll(tilt the ejection port down and run the charging handle with your support hand). If that does not fix the problem. lock the bolt to the rear (easy with a bad lever) strip the mag, rack the gun 3 times insert a fresh mag and rack it again. It works faster than sports.

Pat

I've had pretty good results with my Pmags. I am still using some in practice that are over two years old with out problems. I usually run the same mags for a year then swap out whether i have any problems or not. Has anyone noticed more problems with either older mags or newer ones? I am only running older Pmags that i purchased a few years back.