Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

filling in the Fiberoptic front sight

EkuJustice

aha...I'm "experienced" in this area. Sharpie or other Permanent Markers don't really work very well. Go to an automotive store and get some black touch-up paint that comes with a small, bulit-in brush. If you paint both top of the FO and front of the FO, the sight will be pretty much completely black. If you just want to darken the "shine" of your FO, then just paint top of the sight. FWIW... you'll still need to do some touch up from time to time.

Of course, this approach provides you with a reversible solution. For a permanent solution, I'd assume JB Weld should do the trick.

Edited by justaute

If you think you may ever go back to a fiber optic just paint the rod black. I used a can of BBQ grill paint. It's takes the high heat coming from the barrel and you can always take it off. I bought it in a spray can and just sprayed it in a pile on a piece of cardboard then dipped a small brush into it before it dried. You will have to touch it up from time to time though. If your sure your going to stick with the black sight, I would just order one and be done with it. You can always sell the fiber optic.

All of the ideas are workable, but I go with replacement as said by DWFan.

My reasoning for this is, you have now blackened the sight to your satisfaction, so far so good, you are in a match and you have a malfunction. With me so far? Good! You grab the slide to rack it but it wet and slippery, as are your hands. You slip and now the center part of the F/Oless sight, complete with quite sharp edges, catches your hand and rips a chunk, leaving the gun and your poor hand covered in blood and possibly meat, your meat, hanging from the side of the sight.

Nah, replace with the blade sight f your choice.

I have an adjustible rear f.o. sight I wanted to black out instead of buying a new one. I used black silicone and filled the f.o. hole

Has stayed in place and if you want to go back just remove the silicone.