Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup

Red Ryder

When Winchester dropped WSl, most of the guys who were using it switched to something else. I switched to Titegroup. Same Powder for all intents and purposes.

Tried, WST, WIn231 / HP38, N320 and others. Came right back to TG. I run it in 38Super (4 guns, both 115gr and 125gr JHP), 9mm with Lead and JHP, 45ACP mostly lead, 40S&W lead and JHP, 38Special Lead projectiles it is excellent. Other than the 45ACP it is my go to powder. Both my 45's prefer Clays and 185gr or 200gr SWC.

38Special. 2" at 50 with 135gr Full Wadcutter, excellent for AP or Service, would also work well for PPC.

Drawbacks.

Dirty, but it is just a carbon / soot fouling that comes away easy enough.

Hot, yep, that is true, but no nasty hot, just hotter than many like.

Not Bulky, does nto fill cases. Welcome to the use of ball powder. SAme for a bunch of powders including WST, Titewad, 231 / HP38, WSF, 540, HS7, 296 / H110, Longshot (which many like as you get lots of it in a case for major), Lilgun (22Hornet's favourite powder).

Other powders have drawbacks, the way it is. FInd what works, I did.

BTW N320 and Titegroup loads are interchangeable in 38Super for my guins. Just the volume is different.

not major in the super, right?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you guys mind sharing some load data for .40 cal 165grn and 180 grn fmj using N320, 1.185-1.195 col. major pf Im always willing to try something better if its worth the cost difference.

Edited by Miker

I really like titegroup at the moment, I shoot it only in jacketed 9mm. Personally I think its soft and clean (how soft do you need a 9mm to be? :ph34r: ) and the dirt wipes right off., but at 20K rounds a year, using the calculations above.. N320 is only $100 more...

Maybe I'll try a lb before I order the next 8lb's of Titegroup. N320 would probably work with my Moly loads better than Solo1000 also. (I dont like the temp sensitivity of S1k)

You can always sprinkle your front lawn with the powder and make your neighbors wonder what you used to get such great results... and then enjoy the look on their faces when you tell them what you used :D :D :D

GrumpyOne,

Nope not major, minor-ish. 140pf with 115gr is what I used to run. Just lately I have been backing it off down to closer to 125pf. Less muzzle rise and more time to aim. I mainly shoot AP. I have always run my guns hot by AP standards. The new Zero bullet shoots better in my gun with 4.4 gr - 4.5gr TG. About 1100fps at present. ES is about 25fps, but when I ran towards 1200fps I would get less than 10fps ES.

Groups about 1" at 50Y prone.

I had a load at about 165pf with the 125gr, that was just nasty and primers looked a little ill. I think I was up around 5.3gr or 5.4gr. Accuracy was not wonderful either. Never did find out if that was me of the gun.

I now have over 120K rounds on that gun and it still keeps it under 1.5" with me driving it, sometimes better. It is due a new tube soon.

Howdy (new guy here)... I have had good results with TG since I started reloading in 2006... have several loads I worked up since that time using the following projectiles:

MG 115 JHP (alternate match load)

MG 124 CMJ

MG 121 IFP

MG 124 JHP (my standard match load)

Zero 125 FP

Zero 125 JHP (previous favorite match load, when they used to be easy to get and cheap from powder valley)

Meters great in my RL550B (use D-terminator digital scale).

I will conceed that it can be "snappy" and/or dirty (at weak PFs) depending on your particular load but my buddy uses VV N320 a lot (and TG these days) and I can't really tell the difference in recoil impulse between his 124gr MG JHP load over mine (out of G34). So for me, with the large cost difference between VV and TG, I've stuck with TG. Of cours, YMMV.

Chris

I don't think it sucks. Yes, it's cheaper and last longer than others, and that's why I've stuck with it. Only complaint: it doesn't meter well in the RCBS powder dispenser I use. Any match with a crono, I measure every charge with the scale. Nothing on TV these days, so what the heck.

So many powder discussions are like arguing about the best color worm for bass fishing; black worm, purple worm....

Is the name Chris the most popular name in the shooting world? I keep running across other shooters with my name.

Hey other Chris, stay safe, and keep your head down over there. If it applies, thanks for your service!

Chris W.

Ive been running TG @ 3.3gr under a MG 147 in my 34, and find it overly manageable. Easily gets 129 pf with 25fps variation from my Uniflow.

I wish SR4756 played nicely in my gun with 147gr, as its fantastic In 10mm with 155 plated, but it won't run the slide even with a 13# spring.

Is the name Chris the most popular name in the shooting world? I keep running across other shooters with my name.

Hey other Chris, stay safe, and keep your head down over there. If it applies, thanks for your service!

Chris W.

Ha Ha... bunch O Chris' taking over! Hey no worries Chris W... we're pretty safe up in the old Herc at altitude. Appreciate your support :)

P.S. - in the spirit of the original subject of the post... if somebody gave me a 55 gal drum of TG for Christmas (assuming I had place to properly store it), I would happily utilize it :).

Okie

Edited by okie_ipsc

Using the Dillon powder measure on a 550, I never had great results with titegroup metering. I would set the pwdwr measure and 4.7 but would vary from 4.5 to 4.9.

With N320 I have consistent loads of 5.0 with no variation.

My experience is completely opposite. I find it to be one of more consistent metering powders. Then again I run a UNIQUETEK micrometer dial and their baffle on my XL650 powder measure.

Using the Dillon powder measure on a 550, I never had great results with titegroup metering. I would set the pwdwr measure and 4.7 but would vary from 4.5 to 4.9.

My experience is completely opposite. I find it to be one of more consistent metering powders. Then again I run a UNIQUETEK micrometer dial and their baffle on my XL650 powder measure.

Titegroup meters very well for me as well on both of my Dillons...550b and square deal this is one thing I really like about it in addition to the cost per round. I didnt like it last time I tried lead bullets as it produced alot of smoke compared to jacketed bullets, I will be trying the new (to me) bayou coated lead bullets later this week using titegroup they say they dont smoke I will find out. If they work out I will save enough on 2500 rounds 180 gr. to buy 4lbs of titegroup (approx $70.00).

Titegroup meters very well for me as well on both of my Dillons...550b and square deal this is one thing I really like about it in addition to the cost per round. I didnt like it last time I tried lead bullets as it produced alot of smoke compared to jacketed bullets, I will be trying the new (to me) bayou coated lead bullets later this week using titegroup they say they dont smoke I will find out. If they work out I will save enough on 2500 rounds 180 gr. to buy 4lbs of titegroup (approx $70.00).

It's not the powder, it's the bullet lube on the cast lead bullets that smoke, and gunk up the gun so bad. If you don't like the excess smoke, the coated bullets, as you mentioned, are the way to go. I use cast lead in practice to save money, and use JHP's for matches.

Chris

It's not the powder, it's the bullet lube on the cast lead bullets that smoke, and gunk up the gun so bad. If you don't like the excess smoke, the coated bullets, as you mentioned, are the way to go. I use cast lead in practice to save money, and use JHP's for matches.

Chris

Yes I understand thats why they smoke, but why shoot lead to practice and JHP's for matches is it the smoke or is there a accuracy difference?

Chris

Yes I understand thats why they smoke, but why shoot lead to practice and JHP's for matches is it the smoke or is there a accuracy difference?

Mainly because of the smoke. I've had a few experiences in a match, especially early in the morning on the 1st stage, when the smoke was so bad that I couldn't see a target. I've been told numerous times by a lot more experienced handloaders that jacketed hollow points are more accurate. At my level of shooting I'm not sure that I'm able to take advantage of the difference in accuracy. But, I have to admit that it is another reason for using the hollow points in a match. Although the excessive gunk from using cast lead has never caused my gun to malfunction in a match or practice, I still want the gun to be as clean as possible for the duration of the match, so that's another reason.

I know of at least two guys that use the molly coated bullets for matches and practice. I haven't heard any negative comments from them, and they are better and more experienced practical shooters than I am. I'm not sure, but I think they buy them from Jerry Miculek's brother. I think the company is Bayou Bullets. I use Dardas cast bullets, but they aren't coated; just cast bullets. The bullet lube they use doesn't seem to smoke as bad as a few others I've tried.

All the best,

Chris

Chris

Mainly because of the smoke. I've had a few experiences in a match, especially early in the morning on the 1st stage, when the smoke was so bad that I couldn't see a target. I've been told numerous times by a lot more experienced handloaders that jacketed hollow points are more accurate. At my level of shooting I'm not sure that I'm able to take advantage of the difference in accuracy. But, I have to admit that it is another reason for using the hollow points in a match. Although the excessive gunk from using cast lead has never caused my gun to malfunction in a match or practice, I still want the gun to be as clean as possible for the duration of the match, so that's another reason.

I know of at least two guys that use the molly coated bullets for matches and practice. I haven't heard any negative comments from them, and they are better and more experienced practical shooters than I am. I'm not sure, but I think they buy them from Jerry Miculek's brother. I think the company is Bayou Bullets. I use Dardas cast bullets, but they aren't coated; just cast bullets. The bullet lube they use doesn't seem to smoke as bad as a few others I've tried.

All the best,

Chris

Yes thats what I thought on the smoke but hadnt heard JHP was more accurate many really good shooters use lead in our local matches only thing Ive noticed is the smoke, they seem to do very well shooting them accuracy will be something else for my research. My Bayou bullets will be here soon for me to do testing on using titegroup and I also purchased some n320 to try as well.

I haven't had any issues with TG. I run Rainier 165gr with 5gr of TG for major through my XDM. No tumbling, but it is snappy, I admit, but I don't mind it because I have a hand the size of a honey-baked ham. I would like something that is economical and a little smoother, though. Any suggestions?

I haven't had any issues with TG. I run Rainier 165gr with 5gr of TG for major through my XDM. No tumbling, but it is snappy, I admit, but I don't mind it because I have a hand the size of a honey-baked ham. I would like something that is economical and a little smoother, though. Any suggestions?

Yep. 180g bullets.

I've used titegroup, n320, and wst in my g35 and here is my opinionon them.

I like TG alright. The accuracy is good, not too dirty in the gun, but I do end up with flakes all over my arms after I have shot 200 rnds or so. The recoil is sharp and snappy, but I like it. I just wish it took up more volume in the case.

N320. I like the way it feels, but it was the dirtiest of the 3 powders at 169 pf. I was so excited to try it after so many great reviews and was just dumbfounded at my experience. I used it with moly bullets and it smoked just as much as TG. Seriously, shooting it made me WANT to clean my glock. Won't be buying any more of it for this gun.

WST. This is the powder of choice for me in .40 and .45. It meters well, takes up about half the case and is a light grey so it's easy to see. It feels like n320, cleanest shooting in my gun and plenty accurate if I do my part. It is also about as available as TG and around the same price too.