Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Can't Decide Which 1911

johnny1gun

Ok! There has been a lot of these threads,so Im sorry if it seems a little redundant.I have a Springfield RO on layaway.Going to sell my M&P Pro 9mm. to get it.I really like the Springfield. Fit ,and finnish is awesome,and its forged. I have shot my friends 9mm Spartan. Heard a lot of good things Don't know about fit,and finnish. Ruger SR; do not know anything about it except for what hankfan has told me. I can't find one,but I want one.Would like to handle one befor I buy. Nice looking gun. Hankfan has a lot of good things to say about it. Give me your knowledge.

Thanks,J.B.

I had a Spartan in 9mm and really like the gun. STI has done a great job of getting a gun built as inexpensively as possible but still putting out a good quality product.

I found it to be every bit as good as the entry level Springfield guns and would not hesitate to but a Springfield if they had one in 9mm that was not stainless. Or 40 S&W for that matter.

Not dogging the sti spartan, but between the spartan, sr1911, and the r.o., I would go with the r.o.,,super fit, forged nm frame, great cust service if needed. All it would need is a f.o. front sight and you are ready, unless you want ambi's, but in that case none of the mentioned come with ambis. Just my 2 cents

Three good options. I have the STI, but don't think you could go wrong with any of them. My only concern would be the newness of the Ruger. Ruger makes solid guns, but I would rather have others shake out any new bugs that may exist.

Three good options. I have the STI, but don't think you could go wrong with any of them. My only concern would be the newness of the Ruger. Ruger makes solid guns, but I would rather have others shake out any new bugs that may exist.

While I tend to agree with you Re: new Ruger firearms, I would have to think that the SR1911 should be good to go.... it's no like it's a new design..... It's pretty hard to screw up a 1911.... even for Ruger :)

I went through a similar selection choice as you recently. I have been running a Glock 9mm for a few years and I wanted to try another platform. I decided on 1911 as I had used them in the past. 9mm was also my choice for ammo cost and ease of ammo supply. I reload 9mm and have a good supply of components.

You are shooting a M&P 9mm so if you get a Spartan or Springfield 1911 in 9mm your ammo costs will remain the same.

I purchased a used Springfield 9mm 1911 and I have replaced the sights and I have a magwell on the way. Here is my 1911 so far:

SANY0063.jpg

Here is the magwell I'm going to try:

Mako2jpg.jpg

I have not handled a Spartan but I'm sure if you go that way you will not be disappointed. I have handled a Range Officer and they are well fit and if you want a .45 it would be a good choice. If like me you want to stick with 9mm I would suggest a Spartan or a Springfield.

Enjoy shooting!

Keith

Hi John, just skip all that and come over to the DARK SIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ray

I will conceder the darkside only if you don't pass out today after the match. Good job with getting USPSA going in Baker City,Or.You are a great guy ,and have worked extremly hard at making that work there.You should be highly comended.I will always be there to support.See ya today.Oh crap ! Gatta get if I dont want to get there when your shooting the first stage......Again !

Edited by johnny1gun

I'd say go with a Les Baer. They are more expensive but from my past I have found that I kept trying to find a "better" 1911, then I just bit the bullet and got a Nighthawk. If I were to do it again, I'd get a Les Baer they are less expensive then the Nighthawks and Wilsons but right up there with the quality fit and finish.

If you wanted something reliable and not as high of a price point. go with STI. I've had great luck with mine so far and know a bunch of guys shooting the Trojan now that have nothing but good things to say about them.

Love my spartan 9mm, its a great value.

But that being said, if you're getting rid of your M&P pro to make the purchase, send me a PM with details (round count, any mods, etc.). I might be someone to take it off your hands. :surprise:

Dawson has a nice deal on STI right now (if you want a Dawson FO front sight)

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/

Me and a buddy of mine who has a FFL have talked about this.His son has a Spartan.Thang runs great.Leaning towards this gun hard right now.Let you know in a few weeks what happens.Im gann shot SS,and CDP with what ever gun I choose.Have to wait tell Idaho IDPA State is over then get it.

I went from shooting SSP for years to shooting CDP this year. Like you, I just wanted to learn a different platform. I bought a Spartan 45 and have no regrets. I just recently purchased a Spartan 9. I do suggest getting a Dawson front sight. The Spartan comes with a FO sight, but the dot is not mounted at the top of the sight. I actually blacked mine out with a Sharpie for a while.

Thank everyone for you imput.I have made a decision. I am getting the Springfield RO. The fit,and finnish is just to nice to pass on.I also read somewhere that they make a certain amount in Brazil,and some in the USA. Not sure if thats true or not,but this one is made in the U.S. I will probably get the other ones over time now that I have gotten a new job. Funny how life is. Have lots of time to shoot,but not enough money to shoot,but a couple times a month. Now I will have the money,and not enough time to shoot. :( Will put some pics of it up when Im done with it.I have plans for it. :devil:

Edited by johnny1gun

Thank everyone for you imput.I have made a decision. I am getting the Springfield RO. The fit,and finnish is just to nice to pass on.I also read somewhere that they make a certain amount in Brazil,and some in the USA. Not sure if thats true or not,but this one is made in the U.S. I will probably get the other ones over time now that I have gotten a new job. Funny how life is. Have lots of time to shoot,but not enough money to shoot,but a couple times a month. Now I will have the money,and not enough time to shoot. :( Will put some pics of it up when Im done with it.I have plans for it. :devil:

The RO is a very nice pistol. I can't blame you a bit. :cheers:

Mike21STI

29 August 2011 - 11:14 AM

I'd say go with a Les Baer. They are more expensive but from my past I have found that I kept trying to find a "better" 1911, then I just bit the bullet and got a Nighthawk. If I were to do it again, I'd get a Les Baer they are less expensive then the Nighthawks and Wilsons but right up there with the quality fit and finish.

+1

Just add magwell and extended mag release and your good to go.