Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"ultimate" 3 Gun Optic

Smokin

The S&B...at least all the regular and prototypes I messed with at SHOT...had a horrible focal length change in relation to the zoom. As the power was cranked up, you had to move your eye closer and closer to the scope. Bleah.

The IOR 1-10 is the one that I'm looking forward to. First focal plane mildots, second focal plane "dot," both with separate illumination :)

Plus, it is big and heavy enough to serve as a quite servicable anchor for those extra-windy match days :D

REF: https://picasaweb.google.com/lpwakal/SHOTDay1#5563918784245394706

Alex

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

.. I do intend to buy one of the new 1-10 IOR (the prototypes at SHOT were very interesting), eventually...someday Val will start shipping them!

Alex

Alex,

I have a prototype IOR 1x10 FFP (with a second SFP reticle) in hand (on a rifle) for T and E I would love to touch bases with you and chat about the unit.

Are you going to the ProAm???

Patrick

Do you have an idea when this will be released? I heard June but I haven't see it yet...Thanks

This may be harsh but most of the better variables will get the job done if you know your holds and practice with it.

Some of the fastest guys use simple scopes because they know where to hold for a given distance.

True 1x is not that critical even without back-up irons IMHO.

It looks like the fastests guys are using the Swarovski according to stats from recent matches. The Swarovski is also very easy to use. Just use the center dot for most stages 200 yards and in like an Aimpoint. Past than use your hold overs. If I can use it, it can't be that complicated. :roflol:

Pat

I was thinking Butler and Sechiatano who use an Accupoint. Just a simple little triangle that can be super bright when you want for the close stuff.

I know another guy who won a couple of close stages at SSM3G with one too.

FYI, the S&B has a SFP dot as well. I haven't heard Amy neg feedback about scope-eye dstance changing with zoom from those who have fingered prototypes.

You have now, repeatedly :)

You have to be looking for it (no pun intended). Liota, Fred, and even my father all noticed, while on separate "find the good scope" missions at SHOT...we decided that it was more "fair" to check various venders out separately and then compare notes, with a mass "wandering" to review the high scoring glass on Day Four.

Another scope that I was very impressed with was the 1-4 from Steiner. The only one (aside from Meopta) that I had to turn DOWN from full on to avoid illuminated "bloom." Now, if they make the 1-6 that they were discussing...

Alex

The way I actually shoot, I actually prefer that the eye relief changes with the power change.

If I shoot prone my checkweld will move my eye towards the bell. If I shoot off hand my natural hold puts my cheekweld farther back.

And it just so happens that if I'm shooting prone it's probably going to be for farther targets where I would want more magnification and vice versa.

To the OP, if you want the Swarovski go to LA Police Gear. Use "optics15" as the coupon code and you get 15% off and free shipping.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/swar-z6i-1624.html

$1950 for the Z6i is a decent price. Don't know how long the sale will last.

That's a damned good price especially considering many who normally stock this scope are out. I just received a unit I ordered from amazon this evening. It's already back in the box with another unit from lapolicegear on the way. Thanks for the tip!!

after shooting with a Zeiss varipoint in 1,1-4 for several years i bought the Z6! just because everybody says its so great

After using the Z6i in a major ipsc rifle match and training with it about 3-4 months i switched back to my trusted Zeiss for just one reason.

The Z6i is ,in my opinion, much to picky on the head position .

This is not a problem with "comfortable positions'' but i noticed i am seeing to much ''black'' in the scope on matches with positions that are not usual.

I never had this problem with my zeiss or meopta and i tried a trijicon tr 24 and also with this scope i do not have this problem.

4 x scopes are good enough to hit plates at 350 meter.........

Premier Reticles 1.1-8x24 if it is available. I upgraded my IOR to a Swaro but I would've liked a PR but I was barely able to sell enough stuff to afford the Swaro. Yes I might not need anything above 4x for most of the matches but it is nice to have if I ever run into 600 yard targets. I'd hate to buy a dedicated scope or upper just for those matches when the 1 scope could do it all. A reticle on the first focal plane and 1/4" MOA adjustments on the Swaro would've been nice.

after shooting with a Zeiss varipoint in 1,1-4 for several years i bought the Z6! just because everybody says its so great

After using the Z6i in a major ipsc rifle match and training with it about 3-4 months i switched back to my trusted Zeiss for just one reason.

The Z6i is ,in my opinion, much to picky on the head position .

This is not a problem with "comfortable positions'' but i noticed i am seeing to much ''black'' in the scope on matches with positions that are not usual.

I never had this problem with my zeiss or meopta and i tried a trijicon tr 24 and also with this scope i do not have this problem.

Hmm that is strange as I have never noticed that issue with mine as the eye relief seems very forgiving.

Pat

Has anybody played with the new Leica Magnus 1-6.3? If so I would love to hear about your impressions of it.

I don't have one, but looking at the specs on the Leica website they don't offer the balistik reticule on the 1-6.3...

jj

The eye relief is not the problem ,the eye relief is great.,

The problem is that you need to be very straight behind the scope ,but maybe i am just a strange shooter because all the top shooters in europe (and USA ) use the Z6i .

Or maybe i am just spoiled by the Zeiss <_<

True. Head position must be pretty straight lined with scope.

I previously used Accupoint 1.25-4x with red triangle and never had that problem.

On the otherhand the features of the Swaro beats clearly Accupoint that's the reason I switched to Swaro.

Left shoulder shooting with Swaro is pain in the bud. :)

The Premier WAS available. their 1.1-8 was a limited production run where they made less than 50 units total. you can't buy one right now except on the off chance that a used one becomes available. They are supposed to be coming out with a new 1-8 before the end of the year.

This is the same argument guys in the long range game say to justify their 10x Leupolds against the big 5-25 S&B, Hensholdt, or Premier. Sure you can shoot at 1K and beyond with 10X but fact of the matter is, that the greater zoom makes LR hit easier. I could also engage a steel target at 600 yards using iron sights. Did it for years shooting NRA High Power. Would that be my optimal choice? nope.

Well, we got the new Leupold 1-8 in

Holy crap

It is flat out amazing

Holographic illuminated circle that is 18" at 100 yards and is BRIGHT

Clearly visible at 1x in bright conditions

Horus Reticle for long range use

Not at all finicky on head position

Wow

1-12x or 4-48x...

http://www.countersniperoptics.com

http://www.countersniperoptics.com/CSO_Spread_Web.pdf

I heard the S&B 1-8x is supposed to appear in Dec 2011. We'll see...

LEICA MAGNUS 1–6.3 × 24 (IWA 2011)

http://www.3gun.se/showthread.php?110-LEICA-MAGNUS-1–6.3-×-24-(IWA-2011)&highlight=leica

Go with the Z6i 1-6x!

Well, we got the new Leupold 1-8 in

Holy crap

It is flat out amazing

Holographic illuminated circle that is 18" at 100 yards and is BRIGHT

Clearly visible at 1x in bright conditions

Horus Reticle for long range use

Not at all finicky on head position

Wow

From a glass clarity perspective, I think the Leupold Mark 8 is hands down the best glass for a CQB/Medium Range scope on the market. Period. I had one in my hands next to a 1.1-8 Premier, a prototype 1-8 S&B, and its by far the best. Granted, the Leupold I had in my hands did not have the daylight visible red dot (had the mil dot reticle), the only issue with the Leupold is that the daylight red dot is only available with the Horus reticle which IMO is awfully busy. The Leupold also has a list price near $4K. If they offered a mil dot reticle with the daylight visible red dot, I'd be sold.

My friend Fred and I wander SHOT like lost souls (easily distracted lost souls, but lost neverthelesss) looking at optics. I build quite a few 3-Gun and LE rifles, and have no particular brand loyalty. I want performance, not a name on the side, and I will drop anything inferior for a better product if it is of any real (not perceived) value.

Just like most folks here, aside from the shills for the various products due to sponsorship or other vested interest :)

I find the Z6i to be the best combination of features currently available. Fairly light, six power on the top end (which knocks out the otherwise spiffy high end Vortex), bright illumination (which kills the dim US Optics), and with good eye relief that does not change with magnification (which knocks out the S&B Short Dots)...and is one power on the low end, which (along with the just plain silly price) kills the Leupold MK8.

I am fond of Meopta, Burris TAC30 1-4 (I sell a ton of these, as I find them a fantastic value for the money spent), Burris XTR 1-4, and the IOR 1.5-8. I've owned pretty much everything, and at least spent a lot of time fondling things I don't have or have little interest in (just in case I'm wrong, which...I often am, which forces me to re-evaluate and re-rank my choices). I'm no expert, but I'm not a shill or a pimp either :D

The funny thing about scopes, as it most things in life, as the price goes up the performance goes up...to a point. After that point, the performance increases incrementally and the price increases geometrically. The problem is finding that point, or figuring just how much incremental performance you want at the price you can pay.

For now, I can afford any optic on the market. My Z6i(s) are by no means the most expensive glass I own, but they are the best competition glass I've found... I do intend to buy one of the new 1-10 IOR (the prototypes at SHOT were very interesting), eventually...someday Val will start shipping them!

Alex

Alex,

How did you like the Burris XRT?

Thanks,

Chris