Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear Protection in Hot Weather

Lobonca

I am finding the ear muffs with the mics to be way too hot in the warm weather.

I have a pair of molded ear plugs that I made from a kit and they are OK but I am not crazy about them.

What ear protection do you use/like and why?

What do you dislike and why?

Edited by Lobonca

ESP

In the ear electronic hearing protection.

Works great just like ear muff type electronic ear protection

The only issue I think is cost.

You can buy a LOT of foamies with $700+.....

Custom molded plugs with the sonic valve. I hate having hot ears and knocking the muffs off when I'm shooting rifle and shotgun.

While the electronic plugs are cool, they are expensive and the eventually turn into plain 'ol plugs when they take a shit.

Had the same problem in the summer the muffs are nisserable and affected my performance the clamping force drove me nuts and my head felt huge even with low profile muffs. I hd a nice pair of molded plugs made best deccision i ever made.

Can you please be more specific when you reply by giving links to what you are talking about?

"nice pair of molded plugs"

"Custom molded plugs with the sonic valve"

"ESP"

- what make? where did you get them?

- where is more info on the Internet?

I have also seen these:

SGM Tactical Sonic Defender Plus Ear Plug Small Clear EP4-SPR

anyone have experience with them? any good?

Thank you

Edited by Lobonca

Can you please be more specific when you reply by giving links to what you are talking about?

"ESP"

I have also seen (can't remember where) clear plastic in the ear plugs

that have a removable stopper for better hearing. Anyone know what I am

talking about?

Thank you

Hello here is what he is referring to. http://www.espamerica.com/

here is a cheaper non electronic plug http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

Hope this helps.

I use foam earplugs. Great in hot weather, plus I shoot long guns as well and it makes it a lot easier. They are cheap, very cheap. I buy from an industrial supply house. When I shoot indoors, I put electronic muffs on top. Works well for me

"ESP"

I have also seen these:

SGM Tactical Sonic Defender Plus Ear Plug Small Clear EP4-SPR

anyone have experience with them? any good?

Thank you

I wear the custom molded plugs from EAR, Inc. ( http://www.shootersexpress.com/eargear.html ) I've taken them to my E.N.T doctor and he said they were sufficient to shoot with for protection. He is a shooter himself, so after he looked at the ratings on them he assured me they would be good. He said putting muffs over them also is a very good idea, but these alone would be good.

Not sure where you can find them in your area, not a lot of places do them. It takes about 30-45 mins, and they are much better than the custom molds kits you can buy. If you're anywhere near the Charlotte, NC area, Shooter Express in Belmont, NC is where I got mine. At some Lv 2 and 3 matches you sometimes see vendors that will do them onsite for you.

My molded ear plugs were done for $65 dollars by an audiologist in my area check out the phone book or google local audiologist for your area they can ususaly make the molds and mail them out to be made for you. It takes about 10 minutes and 10 buisness days to get them back you can select a cord no cord and all different colors any hearing aid shop or a sears hearing center can usualy make them getting them done proffesionaly is well worth the $65 for the fit and look.

+1 for the surefire sonic defenders! Love them. Easy to talk. Easy to hear. Don't notice blast from my open gun.

I've got a set and they work well, but they get uncomfortable after a couple of hours. Sooner if wearing them under muffs.

I just use foamies in the summer and the electronic muffs the rest of the year.

I bought the Dynamic digital ESP plugs for sporting clays a few years ago and they are awesome. They have a couple different modes you can toggle through depending on your environment. The only thing that took a while to get used to is while waiting (some one else is shooting) your conversation is the same volume as the gun shots, this makes things sometimes sound flat (loss of depth)

Boy have I been lurking a while LOL

Edited by zblink

i have 2 sets of custom molded ear plugs one from ear inc, the other from another place thats even nicer. I liked the first pair so much that I got the 2nd so that they would be flush against my ears so I could wear muffs over without it getting uncomfortable. first pair had things so that you could string them together but it got annoying fast.

I wear those when it gets hot but do have to strain at times to hear things - when its cooler out I wear msa sordins. if theres someone shooting open nearby then its the plugs and the muffs and sometimes even hands pushing down on the muffs.

I like to keep the foam in all the time and wear a hat with ear and back protection, like for ocean fishing, and when it is my turn to shoot, I put the electric muffs over the hat flaps and it keeps my ears dry and still kills the noise.

I've been using foam plugs lately but I just received a couple of pairs of SureFire ESP-3's. The problem with the foam is that they block out too much sound so I have problem hearing people talking.

Normally this is a good thing but with Nationals just around the corner, I need to be able to hear the shooters so I can get some feedback from them for my Front Sight and Web-page articles that I am planning for the match.

I have a pair made by Ear inc recently at the area 3 match. So far I love them. Custom molded, 30 NRR, no heat issues on my fat sweaty head, and only 45 bucks to boot at the match. I have no complaints

Bets