Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA vs IPSC

JKD

Ok, this may be a total noob question: Are there any actual IPSC clubs in the United States? Or is everything in the U.S considered USPSA?

I have a Glock G34 for shooting in USPSA production class. As I understand it, the G34 is legal in USPSA but not in IPSC. Are there any clubs in the U.S. that are IPSC and would not allow the G34 in Production?

Ok, this may be a total noob question: Are there any actual IPSC clubs in the United States? Or is everything in the U.S considered USPSA?

I have a Glock G34 for shooting in USPSA production class. As I understand it, the G34 is legal in USPSA but not in IPSC. Are there any clubs in the U.S. that are IPSC and would not allow the G34 in Production?

Most clubs in the United States will host USPSA matches primarily, but a few clubs have hosted IPSC matches periodically. And when there are IPSC matches, all rules will be strictly enforced as per IPSC mandate.

I haven't memorized all of the IPSC rules, but they are different than USPSA. Actually, the IPSC rules might be available on the USPSA website...but I'm not 100% certain.

Production Division :cheers:

Production Division :cheers:

And IPSC rules can be downloaded here: http://ipsc.org/pdf/RulesHandgun.pdf

Some notable differences:

- Nothing in hands during walkthrough.

- Production round limit is 15.

- In Production, first shot MUST be double action if it's a loaded gun start.

- Production mods are even more restrictive than USPSA: only OFM parts, no refinishing allowed.

- If you have gear in front of the hipbone, the RO can first instruct you to fix it and not have the RM automatically bump you to Open.

- For table starts, after the start signal you can place mags anywhere. (eg. They don't have to be behind the hipbone.)

- Major is 170 PF. .357 is an acceptable caliber for major.

- No loaded sight pictures.

- Unloaded sight picture allowed only on one target.

- A WSB may also stipulate no unloaded sight pictures.

- For table starts, after the start signal you can place mags anywhere. (eg. They don't have to be behind the hipbone.)

true for USPSA also.

True for the 2004 USPSA rules, but the 2008 rules changed and there was a further NROI ruling that clarified it some more... http://www.uspsa.org...ils.php?indx=48 So mags have to be in hands, or behind the hipbone for USPSA (for divisions that stipulate it).

On the upside of the 2008 change, you can grab mags out of your pocket first in USPSA if you wish. No need to exhaust the pouches before going for pockets.

Edited by Skydiver

true for USPSA also.

True for the 2004 USPSA rules, but the 2008 rules changed and there was a further NROI ruling that clarified it some more... http://www.uspsa.org...ils.php?indx=48 So mags have to be in hands, or behind the hipbone for USPSA.

On the upside of the 2008 change, you can grab mags out of your pocket first in USPSA if you wish. No need to exhaust the pouches before going for pockets.

Can you clarify this comment? (Specifically how 8.2.3 applies)

G34 is OK for IPSC Standard division :)

true for USPSA also.

True for the 2004 USPSA rules, but the 2008 rules changed and there was a further NROI ruling that clarified it some more... http://www.uspsa.org...ils.php?indx=48 So mags have to be in hands, or behind the hipbone for USPSA.

Can you clarify this comment? (Specifically how 8.2.3 applies)

Mags have to be in hands or behind the hip bone after the start signal is what he meant.

true for USPSA also.

Correct, except for Production and Single Stack division.

True for the 2004 USPSA rules, but the 2008 rules changed and there was a further NROI ruling that clarified it some more... http://www.uspsa.org...ils.php?indx=48 So mags have to be in hands, or behind the hipbone for USPSA (for divisions that stipulate it).

The NROI ruling only addresses the location BEFORE the start position:

Rule 5.2.4 is interpreted to mean that when the equipment has to start with the magazines or speed loaders in retention devices attached to the belt, for those divisions that have position restrictions of holster and other equipment, they must be in compliance with Appendix D item 12, unless stipulated in the WSB that places them on a table or similar start and not in the retention devices for the start position. Further, spare ammunition, magazines and/or speed loading devices carried in the hand after the start signal are not subject to the equipment position restrictions of Appendix D, Item 12.

Right. 5.2.4 says it has to start in the pouches. Hands are not applicable to D4/5.12. Furthermore D4/5.12 does not say when the restriction is applicable other than the understood (which is always).

Thus your mags have to be either in your hands or behind the hip bones after the start signal after a table start with mags on the table.

Edited by spanky

The NROI ruling only addresses the location BEFORE the start position:

Rule 5.2.4 is interpreted to mean that when the equipment has to start with the magazines or speed loaders in retention devices attached to the belt, for those divisions that have position restrictions of holster and other equipment, they must be in compliance with Appendix D item 12, unless stipulated in the WSB that places them on a table or similar start and not in the retention devices for the start position. Further, spare ammunition, magazines and/or speed loading devices carried in the hand after the start signal are not subject to the equipment position restrictions of Appendix D, Item 12.

The last sentence of the ruling is what is interesting. It was meant to answer the question whether is it legal for a Production or Single Stack shooter to go run around a course of fire with mags in his hands, his mouth, under an armpit, or stuffed in the front waist band of his pants. The ruling says it's only legal to have the mags in hand, otherwise the position restrictions still apply.

The IPSC 5.2.4.1 is unambigious. After the start signal no restrictions on placement.

IPSC 5.2.4.1. For table starts or similar, after the Start Signal, the competitor may carry those items anywhere on their person, and this will not be treated as contravention of Divisional rules.

The USPSA 5.2.4 still has restriction after the start signal:

USPSA 5.2.4 During the course of fire, after the start signal, unless stipulated otherwise in the stage procedure, spare ammunition, magazines and/or speedloading devices shall be carried in retention devices attached to the competitor's belt and specifically designed for that purpose. Unless specifically prohibited in the Written Stage Briefing, a competitor may also carry additional magazines or speed loading devices in apparel pocket(s) and retrieve and use them without penalty, providing that the location of the apparel pocket does not violate the requirements of Appendix D, Item 12 (subject to the provisions of Rule 6.2.5.1).

(Mods: Consider moving this thread to the Rules forum, perhaps?)

I'll say this. Before it was broken with the Oct 2010 upgrade of the uspsa.org website, there were only about (I seem to recall) 130 IPSC classifications TOTAL listed in the monthly update to ezwinscore. It's been broken since then and it's Aug 2011 now. There just is no clamoring demand for pure IPSC matches in any of the 8 USPSA areas. That's not to say don't run one. If you want to, by all means have at. But no one's really beating down our doors for it right now.

Your questions on the G34 and some rules issues have already been addressed ...

USPSA is the US Region of IPSC. There are no "IPSC" clubs per se anywhere in the world. All are clubs within their own region (e.g., Germany, France, Austrailia, etc.) and that region is a member of IPSC. To my knowledge, the US is the only region with it's own set of wholey independent rules ... though the USPSA rules largely parallel the IPSC rules in most respects.

As has been previously stated, there does not seem to be a great groundswell of demand here in the US for purely IPSC matches. Some of that, I believe, is due to the minor rules differences, but most of it is probably due to the differences in equipment and division specifications.

Your questions on the G34 and some rules issues have already been addressed ...

USPSA is the US Region of IPSC. There are no "IPSC" clubs per se anywhere in the world. All are clubs within their own region (e.g., Germany, France, Austrailia, etc.) and that region is a member of IPSC. To my knowledge, the US is the only region with it's own set of wholey independent rules ... though the USPSA rules largely parallel the IPSC rules in most respects.

As has been previously stated, there does not seem to be a great groundswell of demand here in the US for purely IPSC matches. Some of that, I believe, is due to the minor rules differences, but most of it is probably due to the differences in equipment and division specifications.

The only reason I can imagine USPSA members wanting to shoot and hold IPSC matches is for classification for the World Shoot. For the many thousands of USPSA members who look forward to shooting outside the US, I'm sure it's important.:rolleyes:

To answer, what I believe to be your question...

If you are in the USA...you will be shooting USPSA, not IPSC. Your G34 is perfectly fine and dandy for Production division.

To answer, what I believe to be your question...

If you are in the USA...you will be shooting USPSA, not IPSC. Your G34 is perfectly fine and dandy for Production division.

Haha! Thanks Flexmoney! I wasn't prepared for this thread to turn into a rules education! :) Mainly, I just wanted to know how likely it would be for me to encounter an "IPSC" sanctioned match in the United States. Sounds like it's not very likely at all. Thanks! :cheers:

The only reason I can imagine USPSA members wanting to shoot and hold IPSC matches is for classification for the World Shoot. For the many thousands of USPSA members who look forward to shooting outside the US, I'm sure it's important.:rolleyes:

Many THOUSANDS????? there are only about 20 k of us actively shooting in the US. How many thousands of us actually travel to a match outside the US?

As an IPSC region we are supposed to hold an IPSC rules match. There are a couple clubs that will on occasion hold such a match. Other than that I doubt you'll see any regular IPSC matches being held here. If there was a snowball's chance that we'd see a World Shoot here, you might see more interest in IPSC Rules Matches.

Many THOUSANDS????? there are only about 20 k of us actively shooting in the US. How many thousands of us actually travel to a match outside the US?

As an IPSC region we are supposed to hold an IPSC rules match. There are a couple clubs that will on occasion hold such a match. Other than that I doubt you'll see any regular IPSC matches being held here. If there was a snowball's chance that we'd see a World Shoot here, you might see more interest in IPSC Rules Matches.

I think maybe your sarcasm detector needs to be brought in for calibration. ;)

Haha! Thanks Flexmoney! I wasn't prepared for this thread to turn into a rules education! :) Mainly, I just wanted to know how likely it would be for me to encounter an "IPSC" sanctioned match in the United States. Sounds like it's not very likely at all. Thanks! :cheers:

You are just about as likely to get a $2 bill as change, than you are to run into an IPSC match in the USA.

Jim

We put in a bid for it just about every time ... So far, we keep getting undercut. I think it will happen ... It's just a question of when. Maybe 2014.