Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help my buy a 1911

38SuperDub

So - I am just about ready to purchase my 1911 to compete in SS division and need some advice - My budget for pistol is about $900 max - I know that this is probably on the low end but it is what it is since I have just spent a bunch for a custom 2011 - so - off the shelf what is the best bang for the buck - Sig? Range Officer (if you can find one)? S&W Tactical Model?

Thanks in advance

The STI's are the only brand that comes to mind I would consider. All the other decent brands have been lawyergadgetfied, Para's and Colts have screwy 80's series triggers you cant remove for IDPA, Spingfield has a propriety MSH with a lock that needs to be replaced, Kimbers firing pin lock/ grip safety is terrible, Several of them are using bad idea extractors that either dont work or screw up the gun so you cant get replacements when they do wear out.

It's a shame to get a decent reliable 1911 at a reasonable price we have to import it from the Philippines.

Edited by Joe4d

+1 on either the STI Spartan or Trojan. The fit & finish on my Trojan is fantastic and it shoots like a dream. Granted the price of a Trojan is above your price point, so a Spartan might be the route to go. You save some $$$ that can then go towards mags, magwell, etc. The frame and slide may be made in the Philippines, but everything else is STI. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I just saw a nice looking Rock Island Tactical at my dealer. The fit and finish seems to be great as well. The model is Rock Island Tactical 2011. It's a single stack 1911 with a rail.

Here is a review I saw online with pics:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=318999

It's cheaper than a Spartan and is manufactured by Armscor in the Philippines. The review seems favorable. Saw a youtube review and seems like a great gun for the price.

Next time you come down I'll let you shoot my Spartan.

I refinished it, added Dawson sights, had the rear sight profiled, had a trigger job done, added a magwell and grips, changed out all the controls for stainless ones just to contrast with the black finish. I still have under a grand in it and most of that you wouldn't have to do.

That being said, I think my next one will be a Rock Island armory. It is about $200 cheaper than the Spartan, and I would probably change out all the same stuff and maybe add a Koenig trigger kit to it. It would probably end up at about the same dollar amount, but be slightly more upgraded.

My Spartan should be back from Clarks for a front strap checkering next week some time.

I do love my Spartan though.

BTW- is a full dust cover (such as the one listed in the previous post) legal for SS?

Edited by latech15

Another vote for the Spartan. The Springfield Range Officer is overpriced and lacks many of the features that I consider important for single stack, yet costs enough to eat up the budget.

Get yourself a Spartan, install a Dawson front sight and your choice of magwells, 6-8 magazines, and you're ready to rock and roll.

Starting to lean towards the Trojan - the fact that I can get it in .40 S&W which will make reloading MUCH easier - since I'm already loading .40 now for limited is a VERY big factor - sure its a little more out the box - but by the time I add a toolhead and all the dies and powder drop for .45 - I'm not really saving anything with the Spartan and I have a better OOB pistol from what I've gathered.

Question - is the TROJAN also an Armscor frame?

My understanding is that the Trojan is not a Philippine frame. The Trojan is a ramped barrel, which in a 40 would be a good thing, I personally have a Spartan in 9 and 45 both with non ramped barrels. Neither of those have ever experienced any feeding issues though.

The downside to going with a 40 over a 45 is reliability. I understand that you have to use Tripp mags and that those guns can be finiky. I understand about the reloading part, but really, come on. Get another tool head and get set up for 45, what are you a wimp?

45 has more of a push than a snap type recoil, some prefer one over the other. Now that I have a 9 and a 45, obviously I want a 40. That being said, if they offered a 40 Spartan, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Short of that, I would probably have one built. I would like to have one with a square trigger guard.

I love my sti Trojan .40 i have had zero problems with it. They can be a bit hard to find "in-stock" but usually the wait time is not bad. I have herd very good things about the spartain. Look at thunder mountain customs they have a spartain package that has some nice add ons, such as FO front sight,S&A magwell, they will do any gun smith labor for free you just pay for parts. Good deals and good price. I bought a STI USPSA SS from them last week, I revived it yesterday, they even did some smith work on it so fast turn around.

Edited by jarozzy

Watch Gun Broker or the Classifieds here, I bought my 9mm Trojan used and it on the top of my keeper list. I would look hard at Kimbers in the low end or used. Had a Kimber Custom. One of the best shooting 45's I ever owned. Had $600 in it. Only sold it to a close friend to up grade to another Kimber that didn't shoot any better.

Range Officer from Springfield is not a bad deal either. For competition I would suggest adjustable sights.

Just look there are deals out there. I helped a friend on a very tight budget pick out a pistol. I'm with Mike on the Metro Arms American Classic. Well built pistol that ran every type ammo and magazine we tried.

Other than fixed sights it was outstanding and well worth the purchase price around $500.

No experience with STI other than I have their slides on two custom 1911's. I did handle two different Springfield RO's and if I was on a budget I would pick that in a heartbeat. Good out of the box and accepts modifications easily. The new Ruger has been reviewed by Joe Chambers, a top Smith, and he proclaimed it excellent in that price range although very hard to find. I also shot the new Remington and wouldn't have one if it were free.

Another vote for the Spartan. The Springfield Range Officer is overpriced and lacks many of the features that I consider important for single stack, yet costs enough to eat up the budget.

Get yourself a Spartan, install a Dawson front sight and your choice of magwells, 6-8 magazines, and you're ready to rock and roll.

I don't compete in the SS division, what features is the RO lacking? Over priced? I don't think $800ish is out line for a gun to compete with.

My understanding is that the Trojan is not a Philippine frame. The Trojan is a ramped barrel, which in a 40 would be a good thing, I personally have a Spartan in 9 and 45 both with non ramped barrels. Neither of those have ever experienced any feeding issues though.

The downside to going with a 40 over a 45 is reliability. I understand that you have to use Tripp mags and that those guns can be finiky. I understand about the reloading part, but really, come on. Get another tool head and get set up for 45, what are you a wimp?

45 has more of a push than a snap type recoil, some prefer one over the other. Now that I have a 9 and a 45, obviously I want a 40. That being said, if they offered a 40 Spartan, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Short of that, I would probably have one built. I would like to have one with a square trigger guard.

You are correct to a point that they can be tricky at first, but it can be easily fixed. My Trojan .40 had some feeding issues at first using the Tripp mags, but after being in Virgil Tripp's hands for $80 and less than a week from shipped down and back, it runs perfectly. I am sure that any competent smith can work out any bugs, but I called Tripp first because I was using their mags. Virgil simply said, "Let me get my hands on it and I'll make it run anything." That was no lie.

That being said, my Trojan will stay with me forever - I simply love the thing and my wife loves shooting it! She found the recoil perfect and loved how it handles. I am sure the Spartan would be very similar, but you really can't beat the Trojan in its price class. I've shot others in the same price range and wasn't impressed. The Range Officer, to me, was a big let down...just not what I would have expected from Springfield.

+1 on the Trojan. I would have recommended it over the Spartan, but it is a bit over your budget. I really like the undercut trigger guard and flat top slide. I know must are unhappy with the front strap scallop cuts compared to checkering, but it definitely beats smooth IMO.

Just look there are deals out there. I helped a friend on a very tight budget pick out a pistol. I'm with Mike on the Metro Arms American Classic. Well built pistol that ran every type ammo and magazine we tried.

Other than fixed sights it was outstanding and well worth the purchase price around $500.

The sites on the ACII are Novak cut front and rear, not pinned or mil cut.

My IDPA gun is a home built Caspian 45 framed .40 non ramped barrel, runs just fine with factory ammo and metal form 40's, or with 1,180 and metal form 10mm mags, It will not run at all with Trip 9 round mags or any 45 mags I have tried.

I should add Tripp offered to tune the guns to the mag gratis, but since I had been running metal form extended 10 round mags in USPSA and American Eagle factory ammo fo about a year I figured the gun was fine, He did give me a refund on the mags, SO I wouldnt hesitate to try them, Looked like very nice well made mags, I just got frequent nose dives.

Edited by Joe4d