Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about Switching from G34 to M&P Pro

jph437

All,

I have been shooting IDPA, SSP, for over a year now and I am strongly considering moving from my G34 to an M&P Pro 9mm. For some reason I don't think I shoot the glock well and whenever I handle a gun with a more "normal" grip (IMO) I seem to shoot better. Can anyone provide thoughts or similar experiences?

I went through this same thing a few years ago. I did seem to shoot the M&P better than the 34. But, I then moved on to an STI Trojan and things got even better for me. It is all about finding the platform that shoots and feels the best for YOU.

If you feel you shoot guns "with a normal grip" better, go for the M&P Pro. I've found that they have excellent ergonomics and with the interchangeable backstrap you can really customize the "feel" of your grip to personal preference.

Personally, my Glock 17 stays in the safe and M&P Pro is my go-to match gun as it is most natural for me.

You are certainly welcome to switch platforms as often as you deem necessary but there will come a time in you shooting career when you will finally discover that it's not the arrow that wins this game...

You are certainly welcome to switch platforms as often as you deem necessary but there will come a time in you shooting career when you will finally discover that it's not the arrow that wins this game...

I agree with this up to a point.

I can run in shoes that don't fit. However, if I get shoes that fit my feet I will be able to run faster, be more comfortable, and be happier when I get to the finish line. Same with shooting. If one piece of equipment fits me better than another, then it can defintely make me faster, more comfortable, and happier in the end.

Back on topic, I love my G34 so much that I got two of them... they fit me. YMMV.

Thanks,

-Randy

Not much good if your arrow is warped. :roflol:

Started out with the G34 in SSP/EX. I switched to a G17 a year later when I made master and this year I switched to the M&P Pro. Best SSP gun I have ever shot. I've tried the XD tactical as well in ESP (It doesn't qualify for SSP) and it doesn't touch the Glock or the M&P. Also remember that since the M&P grip insert is removable it is not considered a permanent modification to stipple the grip insert.

• 2 weeks later...

If at all possible try shooting one before jumping in. I have been shooting a glock for 9 years. I love the way my shooting partners m&p feels but I am not as fast or accurate with it. I am just more familiar with what I have. If I decide to change, it will be to a 2011 platform not another striker fired system.

Best advice I got a few years back when I first started was from a local LEO. He noticed that I was not shooting my usual HK USP 45 one day at a local match and asked why. I replied that just to have fun I planned to start mixing it up a bit. One day I would shoot the USP 45, next time the USP 40, then the USP 9, and a new GLOCK 34 that I had just purchased to shoot at a GSSF match. His next comment to me was "you know what they say about the man with one gun don't you?" "He probably knows how to use it." ;)

Over the next week my son and I shot 3,000 rds of WWB 115's with that G34 without ever cleaning it before the GSSF match and I ran another 2K with it over the next couple of weeks. Needless to say, my USP's very rarely get pulled out of the safe for a match now and that G34 has a little over 35K through it. It's my go to gun for every type of match I shoot whether it be IDPA, USPSA, or 3-Gun.

Let me know if you decide to sell your G34. :D

Edited by babob

Better stated than above, if YOU don't think you do well you won't. It's kind of like an expensive pistol can help self confidence of a shooter and "make" them better (aka magic wand). Or like the fart pipes kids put on the back of four cylinders these days, to make them race cars.

... I don't think I shoot the glock well ...

You don't want to have any doubts about your equipment. If you have the resources to change guns then do it. There may be no difference in the gun's ability. The difference is you feel more confident.

Thank you all for the comments. This more or less comes down to the grip angle as described above. I need to get some more range time in with the M&P to see if I can consistently tell a difference with it.

I've not switched guns as much as some, however I have shot a match with a different gun on every stage. Yep, the magic isn't in the gun. However, you cannot shoot a gun well that does not fit you. I don't shoot tupperware so I can't give advice on those kind of guns. I've dabbled in IDPA where the game is more about the shooting "accuracy" than USPSA where I contend that it is more about the movement and mental skills. So try a few but find out which one you can shoot accurately and comfortably. Have you tried a CZ Shadow? Its all steel, I love the feel of it in my hand, and its accurate and can be shot very rapidly especially with the right 147gr load. I think it is ESP.

Not sure about why people are saying m&ps don't work, I have over 9000 rounds through mine this year without one malfunction. Although I have no apex parts in mine, only "tinkered" by Burwell

True. It is possible to customize a Glock to the point it doesn't work. But is it possible to customize an M&P to the point that it does work?

My M&P has been perfect for 4k since I switched away from Wolf primers.

Not sure about why people are saying m&ps don't work, I have over 9000 rounds through mine this year without one malfunction. Although I have no apex parts in mine, only "tinkered" by Burwell

and that is why yours runs! :cheers:

True. It is possible to customize a Glock to the point it doesn't work. But is it possible to customize an M&P to the point that it does work?

My M&P has been perfect for 4k since I switched away from Wolf primers.

My G34 has been perfect for over 30K with the greater majority being Wolf primers B)