Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Captain America

Saw Captain America last night with the kiddo.

It was pretty good. Didn't do the 3D cause it was full. When we were leaving my kid said she wasn't sure if she liked it. Not as much action as the other movies like it. That might be and it might be the reason some don't like it. They spend allot of time in character development and telling the story. It doesn't really have the feel of a cheesy super hero movie. The WWII era theme is well done. This might be my favorite of the super hero movies yet!

Saw Captain America last night with the kiddo.

It was pretty good. Didn't do the 3D cause it was full. When we were leaving my kid said she wasn't sure if she liked it. Not as much action as the other movies like it. That might be and it might be the reason some don't like it. They spend allot of time in character development and telling the story. It doesn't really have the feel of a cheesy super hero movie. The WWII era theme is well done. This might be my favorite of the super hero movies yet!

Character development? what's that????? lol

Might have to go see it now.

Good movie. Good old fashioned good vs evil story. I like what they have done with a the marvel comic movies lately. Stan Lee's cameos and Nick Fury popping up at the end. Just plain fun to watch movies.

Good movie. Good old fashioned good vs evil story. I like what they have done with a the marvel comic movies lately. Stan Lee's cameos and Nick Fury popping up at the end. Just plain fun to watch movies.

Were the Howling Comados there too? If so :bow: and I REALLY want to see it NOW!

I liked the movie a lot. It felt right as a WW2 Era movie. Character development was a lot more critical for Captain America, because Steve Rogers really isn't super powered like Ironman, Thor, or the Hulk. He represents the peak of human physical conditioning. The other movies dealt more with how they obtained their powers and the possible negative effects. Captain America was more a story of a man overcoming the obstacles in his way (with some help from science) to do the right thing.

It will be interesting to see the dynamic between the honorable/selfless Captain America and the ego driven/selfish Tony Stark in the Avengers. If done right that could be a great plot element; they're both doing the right thing but for very different reasons. Also looking forward to seeing how Captain America deals with jumping forward in time 70 years. Ugh....gotta wait until next summer for it to come out.

Agreed. This was maybe the best superhero movie so far, or at least a close second to Iron Man. At least some of the Howling Commandos were in the movie. Dum Dum Dugan, Gabe Jones, the Britisher with the beret (can't recall his name, Percy something maybe?). The movie flew by and as it neared the end, I was thinking "darn it's almost over already."

One of the few movies in recent years I'd go see again.

Saw it yesterday with my 11yr old daughter, she loved it, I really enjoyed it. When we got home she immediatly googled it to find out when C.A. was released (1941). 2ND super hero after Superman (1938). Today still talking about it with mom. Get the picture, She loved it, and IMO the best Marvel comic movie to date with Batman Begins as runner up. Story, camera setting, all gave that art deco, 1940's feel. Get ready for the sequels.

When we got home she immediatly googled it to find out when C.A. was released (1941). 2ND super hero after Superman (1938).

Nope. The Crimson Avenger first appeared in 1938, about six months after Superman. I'd have to nominate him as the second comic book superhero, though if anyone can point to a comic book superhero who came out some time between June 1938 (Superman) and October 1938 (Crimson Avenger), I could certainly stand to be corrected. (Those were the cover dates, BTW. Actual on-the-stands dates would run one to two months before.)

BTW Batman came out in 1939, as did the the Sub-Mariner, the Human Torch and the Sandman. 1940 marked the first appearances of Robin, Captain Marvel, Green Lantern, the Flash, Hourman, Dr. Fate, Hawkman, Johnny Thunder, the Atom, and the Spectre. I could come up with more, I'm sure, but those are just the ones that occur off the top of my head. Captain America, while certainly an early superhero, is actually fairly far down the list in terms of when he first appeared. Timely Comics (which eventually became Marvel Comics) which introduced Captain America was a notorious imitator of trends, not an originator.

Though it's generally "known" that Superman was the first superhero, that's highly debatable. Mandrake the Magician (1934) or the Phantom (1936), granted they first appeared in comic strips instead of comic books, might have better claim.

If we want to open it up to media other than comic books and strips, we then have the pulp magazines, the precursors of comic books, with characters like the Shadow (1930) and Doc Savage (1933).

Actually, speaking of the pulps, I could make a serious case that Zorro (1919) was the first superhero. He had all the superhero prerequisites: a distinctive costume, a secret identity, a level of skill with sword and bullwhip that set him apart from and above normal men and served as his de facto superpower, and a desire to fight for good against evil.