Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on a glock carry gun

dezz

Looking for thoughts on a concealed carry glocks. How does the 36 shoot, is it too much horsepower for a small frame? I have shot the 26 and 27 and they are great. I just love the 45 and am a glock fan. Shoot the 35 in B limited and the 34 in exp ssp. Funny but I do not normally carry (except for my tomcat) and had an incident in the Walmart parking lot that changed my mind. Can find no one that has a 36 in my area and just wondering how controllable they are. I rarely see them for sale so do they not sell many or does everyone keep theirs? thanks for the input.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have shot a friends 36 a good bit at the range.. Its a great shooter! I thought she would have more snap to her, but I found it extremely manageable! As for the market for the 36 Im not really sure, but it is on my list to buy.

For what its worth I carry a G23.

Good luck!

I had one a year or so ago, and liked it. There were no gun control issues. The reason I traded it for a Glock 19 was that being a big guy (6'8") with large hands, the grip just never felt right. My pinky was totally off the grip and my ring finger barely stayed on. I was a good gun, I just needed something with a longer grip for my conceal carry.

Hate to be the one to say it, but in my experience and opinion the G36 does have serious recoil issues. I can't fire one with a two-hand grip without my hands breaking apart. Not a fun gun to fire. Also, talking to my friend Jon Stein who is very tuned-in to what's happening on the Glock front nationwide, the G36 has developed the reputation of being the most problematic Glock from a reliability standpoint. If looking for a really small Glock I'd go G26 myself.

Hate to be the one to say it, but in my experience and opinion the G36 does have serious recoil issues. I can't fire one with a two-hand grip without my hands breaking apart. Not a fun gun to fire. Also, talking to my friend Jon Stein who is very tuned-in to what's happening on the Glock front nationwide, the G36 has developed the reputation of being the most problematic Glock from a reliability standpoint. If looking for a really small Glock I'd go G26 myself.

As an alternative to the 36, what about a G23 with a .357 conversion barrel. No magazine change or ejector change is necessary for flawless function. Then you have the conceal-ability of a 19/23 that splits the difference in recoil between a 9mm and a .40 S&W, with a round which some argue slightly edges out either a .45 or a .40 for effective self-defense. Also, the obvious capability to shoot .40S&W, if you wish. Just a thought.

All I can say is definitely shoot the 36 before you buy. I had one, and I didn't mind the recoil, but my pinky would get mashed in the gap between frame and magazine with every shot. It's hard to practice with a gun that leaves a blood blister any time you shoot it.

i've seen a lot of 36s fired while ROing GSSF matches and would say it's the most problem prone Glock I've seen. might be an ammo problem or a shooter problem i don't know, just saying from ROing and seeing them shot they or the shooters have problems. like has already been pointed out it's more or less the same size as a 19/23/32. i carry a 32 year round.

thank you to all! Good thoughts on the 36 and from the way it sounds the 26 will be the way I go. I live in AZ and it is hard to carry in the summer. Otherwise it would be the 23 or 19. thanks and cheers :cheers:

I carried a G26 to the point where the finish is worn off and it has some rust spots :blush: , so I can highly recommend the G26 as a great subcompact carry gun. It is good for IWB and pocket carry if needed.

However, I have switched to a 19 in the past few years due to the added capacity and the fact that concealabity is nearly the same. Although it is not one of your choices, I feel that the G19 is perhaps the perfect carry pistol. If I could only own one Glock, it would be the G19.

As others have stated, the G36 is a handful. Personally, I am not a fan of that particular model.

I carry a 26 in a blade tech IWB. I've been wondering about larger calibers too and a friend let me try his Glock 36. To my surprise, it is very thin. Also to my surprise, it recoils like a mother. I think I'll stick to the 26 or 27.

i use a 30 w/36 slide for GSSF Sub and HeavyMetal (Major Sub) with great sucess, however I don't see where it'd be any more concable than a 30 and I have the cost of two guns to make one. I have a 36 frame that's never been used and no market for to try to sell and recover some of my expense. I do have my old 30 top end I might be able to sell but want to hang on to it.

I've had a G36 since they came out in 2000 and haven't had any problems with it. A +0 Peace grip extension cures the finger problems. I did have Robar take off the finger humps. Made a world of difference in the way it felt. As to recoil, it is stout but I don't find it bad at all with ball ammo. Cor-Bon +P's can get exciting. I can carry the G36 or a G19 in the same holster and they conceal equally well. The G36 is thinner which may or may not make any difference.

I would like the Glock 30 a lot better if they hadn't gone for that 2/3 frame treatment, theoretically so we have the option of using short mags for greater concealment. Has anyone ever seen one of these mythical short mags for a G30? Do they even exist?). As it is, the bottom 1/3 of the "grip" moves around when I wrap my hand around it, flesh and skin on my pinky finger wedges between the floorplate and frame and gets pinched every time I fire the gun, doing a speedload means I have to slick my little finger out like a hoity-toity Brit drinking tea to let the mag fall, then it's back into pinching skin and flesh again when I slap in the fresh mag. As I said, I would like this gun a LOT better if they had simply gone for a straightforward, full-length frame.

With a +2 extension the height of a G27 is basically the same as a G23.

True, but with a shorter barrel, I have big hands and am willing to give up a bit of concealbility for shootability... are those real words? :roflol:

Here in the Florida heat, I carry an IWB Glock 26 (or in a pocket holster occasionally)

During the cooler months, an OWB holster and my Glock 30 fit the bill.

I can shoot the 36 fairly well, but I don't like the low round count.