Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Breakage

Jon Merricks

This is for shooters that put alot of rounds through there open guns. How many rounds do you expect to get through your open gun before you crack the slide. I know most shooters will not put more than 10k rounds through the same gun in a years time. The reason I ask is a friend of mine is breaking slides about every 10k. For him that's about every 90 days when he is training. STI and Caspian are the slides he use's. I have only had my open gun for a couple of months and I'm at the 8k mark. So I'm figuring it won't be long before mine goes. If you have an open gun that is no more than 2 years old and you have more than 15k through it speak up and help me figure out what's going on. I have no idea what the cause is, springs, powders, etc. I'd like to know how your gun is set up.

Jon,

The Open (Caspian) that I sold Anderson is going strong. It had been rode a bit when he bought it from me. He then wore out the barrel. He had EGW add a new barrel and tighten the gun back up (over the winter). Now he is shooting it 200-300 rounds x two practice sessions of live fire every week...and matches every weekend.

Most of the other Open guns that I see every weekend are going strong.

I can't see any good reason to be breaking Caspian and STI slides.

I am approaching 60,000 rounds of 115gr 9x25 bullets on a Caspian Slide. The slide has not been severely lightened beyond flat topping, removing the rear sight area and slotting the top for TJ holes. My previous gun had a old cast Caspian Slide and it lasted 8 years and 50,000+ rounds before cracking.

Leo

hmmm, I have about 90K through mine and (70k from the owner before me) and the slide is fine, just had it hardchorme last year. When I shot open I shot about 30-40k per year. I've lost a barrel lug and a safety in that time, but no problems with the slide.

PS. I've always shot 124's or 125's

While there are slides that last longer, 20K is pretty good if you are shooting nothing but major with 115's. With 124-125's the slide life is substantially longer. I've been through 2 slides with the 115's and never cracked one with the 125's on the same gun. Mine cracked around the ejection port someplace (usually at the front). All my slides have been Caspians and they used to have a warning on their website about 115's. I even went with N105 powder to soften the recoil impulse but still the 115's do what they want. This was all with an 11 lb recoil spring and appropriate shock buff changes.

It depends on what you want. I really like the way 115's shoot so I accept the possibility of shorter slide life. I practice with lead and heavier bullets to extend the life, but the light bullets will eventually take their toll unless you are just lucky to get that "special" slide that fits perfect and has exactly the right temper.

:huh: guys my open gun is eight years old with the same slide its an SVI

Ive replaced one breech face and thats it.I have all the guns I build CRYO

treated-i have a six inch 40 single stack that has 40,000 or so through it.

On of the fellows I build guns for a GM Roger Sherman has put 15000

rounds through a Para LDA and the season has just started-Todd J

Cryo's all his slides-Iv only seen quality slides break/crack when they are

lighted to much.

Jim Anglin

Sailors Custom Pistols

STI has replaced the slides that have cracked even after looking at how everything was fitted so no problems there.

The slides all crack in one of three places top near the breach face toward the left side, bottem of ejection port both front and back.

This last slide had only been shot with 124's

The lighting cuts are no more than what STI would put on them

12lbs recoil spring? Never in my gun. To me an 8lbs'er is to heavy.

I starting to think that spring weight maybe an issue. I was hoping that someone would say that they thoughts the metal used today may not be has good. But no bite's yet.

First, I don't believe this is an open gun vs. limited gun issue. I've cracked slides on both - frames too.

Most guns should go 40-50K without much in terms of issues. I'd be willing to bet most of my guns have a crack here or there in them - some that I'm aware of some that I'm not. I have an open gun that I'd take to nationals today that has a cracked frame. Most of my blasters that went down due to damage were either P-9's or 9X25 with 115 grain bullets. We beat the crap out of all of those guns.

On the other hand I have a .45 that has in excess of 115,000 rounds on it that is practically brand new. Its the best gun I've ever owned - and everyone has tried to buy it (including some big dogs ;) ).

Nope - it ain't for sale :P

JB

I had a barrel fit by Irv Stone from Barsto Prec. a couple of months ago and the first thing he did was take the slide and check the hardness on a real trick machine. He said that he was making sure that the slide was within a certain range; not too soft, not too hard. Must be an issue or else he would not check.

jon - along the lines of todays metals - I do not hink it is that so much as QC. We have all heard/read here that STI seems to ship products that are not 100% perfect. I have seen this myself. The range of what is acceptable for them seems to be wide. Don't get me wrong, I have 3 pistols all made with STI slides and frames, but you cannot assume that just because a certain dimension is suppose to be 0.355 that it will be. You have to measure. My guess is that the hardness of the slides and frames is similar - a range that is acceptable. But the real Q is do they check????

I'm pretty sure that each part (slide or frame) that Caspian ships has the hardness reading printed right on the ticket. I don't know about STI? I'm sure they hard a hardness testing machine. Anybody that has one should be able to locate the "dimple" left by the tester. I'm thinking Caspian tests on the disconnector rail?

Jon, if the cuts themselves aren't the issue, then the next thing would be the weight of the slide itself, coupled with a light recoil spring...and shock buffs likely figure in there as well.

All I can say without seeing the slides, is that if the same guy is breaking the same type slide over and over again as often as you state, there is a problem..... if they aren't all from the same bad batch of slides, I'd say it was either gunsmith induced, load induced, or something else thats dumb, dangerous, or different that this shooter is subjecting his pistol to.....

Of course it could just be a statistical anomaly;

I mean look at how many sights Erik Warren has gone through! :wacko:

Well I am new to this forum, have been out of shooting for about 10 years or so.

The only problems I ever had were on the first batch of aluminum frame para's before they made steel. At that time we were all still shooting 135's or 155's and It got beat to heck within 20k. At that time Para replaced it with a steel frame.

The other was a Caspian High Cap when the First Gen ones of those came out. It cracked at the cut for the ramped barrel. That gun saw nothing but 124's. Bot the slides were still in good shape.

Though I do have a single stack that the slide crapped out at about 75k with major loads.