Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breaking the 1 second barrier

kdj

Today, I made a significant step forward (for me at least). I know this is not significant to many of you here but I manged my first set of consisitent sub-1 second draws.

In practice, I'd been managing 1.2 to 1.3 pretty consistently, drawing to an A zone hit at about 10 yards.

It seems like a couple of weeks of daily dry fire have made a difference. In practice today, looking at my times for 20 draw and single shot drills, I see:

1.47 (and it was a horrible hit too since I never got the grip right - just in case I thought I'd got it :P)

a couple of 1.25

a couple around 1.13

a bunch at around 1.01 (very frustrating)

and

4 or 5 at .97 and .98

a .93

3 or 4 at .90

About 50% breaking the 1 second barrier seems like it is reasonably repeatable and not just a fluke :D I guess I no longer consider sub-second draws something only done by the folks who make DVDs :P

As I said, not a big deal to many of you but a significant milestone for me. Now if I can just translate this to draws in matches that don't need to be measured with a calendar ....

Kevin

Congrats Kevin,

I just broke the 1 sec. barrier a few months ago, and it WAS a big deal to me. I still don't usually have a draw that is under 1 sec. in matches, but it has come down to around 1.15 to 1.2 as an average. I actually had a .72 in practice one day. Keep up the good work. :D

I did a 1.10 last year once, but since then I've never even been close, especially in matches. Of course, now I try (key word: try) to see the front sight BEFORE I press the trigger. :)

I'm really considering doing some of that dry fire business, but I can't seem to motivate myself to do it more than once every few months.

KDJ,

It is a big deal, I did my first one a couple months ago, something I thought I would never do, and i jumped around like a kid on Christmas, and told everyone i saw for the next week. usually hover around .97 to .94 was the fastest now, barely breaking a second, but it still does. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Kevin, congratulations. The first time I did a sub-1 I had a big grin on my face the rest of the day. Like Brian says in his book: Tangible goals are fun.

It's also psychological. Why is 1.00 seconds a barrier? Why not 1.03? Or 0.97? I think you'll be doing 0.8 draws very soon because of this.

Keep it up! Dry fire will get you to where you want!

Interestingly, a couple of weeks later and I've been able to manage a few .79 draws at 7 yds. Not consistantly or anything I'm likely to do in a match for quite a while but more than once :P

.9 - 1.1 seemed consistantly possible in practice. I even managed a couple of .9x reloads although they were usually a couple of tenths slower at best. Another imaginary 1 second barrier.

The difference between a .8 and a 1.2 is the slightest glimmer of hesitation. My hat's off to guys who can manage sub-1's consitently in matches!

I also notice that the reason I'm much slower in matches is because I spend the time "just to be sure" of my hit as opposed to accepting the first sight picture. (And I still manage to miss anyway to add insult to injury :D)

Oh well, lots more practice will fix most things and if it was easy I'd be bored by now :D

Kevin

The difference between a .8 and a 1.2 is the slightest glimmer of hesitation.

Exactamundo. I still remember Steve Anderson's tip to make sure you clear leather before the end of the beep. That one thing *dramatically* improved my draw times.

Hey, you guys ever experimented with your body tension when you draw? Say, a par time of 1.2sec. When I "ready" myself for the beep, steady my head, cock my elbows a little, "bury" my foot on the ground, drawing seems really fast even with only that par time. Now when I relax, and let my hands & shoulders droop and just stand there, I could swear every thing feels like forever, yet i still have the same time.

I gets very interesting for me because with the tense mode, I could not get below a 0.8sec par time. One thing with being in this mode is that it gives me a feeling that I'm really ready. I feel I can get to the gun more aggressvely and think I can really get it out sooner. A really good feeling which unfortunately is a trap everytime I start gauging it with a timer.

Just thinking out loud...

Years of working with a bokken have taught me that I can only move really fast when I'm relaxed. As you said, you can fool yourself into thinking you are moving faster but the tension is only waste.

Now, if I could only remember this consistantly when I hear "beeeep" in my ear :P

Kevin

Breaking 1 second on a draw is simply opening the door to the possibilities.

You see, you can do a single one second draw, and if you can do one, then you can do two. If two then 5 and if five then 10. Eventually you get to where you can do 100 and then you simply lose count.

At that point you realize that the difference between you and Todd, or Jerry, or Rob is relative - that is to say that if they have always been doing 100 sub 1 second draws in a row and now you can then it stands to reason that you can really do anything they can do. The box is now open, see what goodies it brings!

The sub 1 draw/reload, the sub 4.5 El Pres, the first stage win where it really means something - these are all benchmarks that prove you are human, the greats are human and therefor - you can do what the greats can do.

Breaking one second on the draw not a big deal? I can't think of a person it wasn't a big deal to.

Congratulations and keep up the good work!

JB

• 2 months later...

at a local steel match i pulled off a .77 draw on one stage and a .94 draw on another...

i cant do it today, as i havent been practicing nearly as much as i did at the first of this year.

needless to say out of five stages with no gun malfunctions, misses or goof ups, with sub one second draw and pretty speedy transitions, i won that match.

i knew i won before the rest of the shooters were done shooting...now, it seems i need to get back to the regular practice schedule if i want to keep that up.

I'm looking forward to the day when I bust a move on the sub one-second draw. BigDave can do it on demand now, at least in practice.

I'm down to 1.35-1.55 seconds consistently, seeing my sights before I break the shot. That's with a Blade-Tech belt scabbard and I have to dig for the gun to get a grip. I think I could do better with a race rig that holds the gun away from my body, but that's not what I use for carry or matches. I did 1.10 the first time I practiced with BigDave when were timing our draws, but I didn't see my sights. Now I don't count it unless I do.

I did several 1.00 and .99-ers in practise, still in a match 1.35-ers; just to be sure of a good consistent grip, this matters to me... a good grip normally means a well shot stage for me. Fast draw No, well shot stage...Yes...Endresults count!!

Henny.

• 2 months later...

Congratulations, Dale!

As I was told: Now do it regularly, then do it regularly in a match :P

But bask in the glow of accomplishment for a while first ...

Kevin