Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Downside to Fiber Optic Sights?

Trvlngnrs

If the fiber optic rod is installed incorrectly they break often.

If the fiber optic rod is installed correctly and you shoot a dirty powder, the fiber rod gets covered in soot and isn't bright anymore.

I still use them regardless...

Edited by yoshidaex

Not sure how they could be worse than a plain black front sight at night since you can't really see either in that condition :roflol: ...another problem is, depending on your loads, gunpowder residue gets left on them and they require cleaning/maintenance.

Thanks guys,

Are they worse than a plain black front sight for nightime shooting?

Trvlngnrs

Fiber is better at night than plain black. Fiber sight will get some glow off flashlight at night and be easier to pickup. Without lighting neither sight will do any good at night.

Fiber sight is easier to track in a regular shooting match, best color is depends on shooter choice.

If fiber rod breaks in the middle of a stage you still have a plain black sight to finish stage with.

An issue I have seen with fiber optic sights, even among good shooters, is that when shooting fast there is a tendency to see the dot as being the important thing instead of the overall shape of the front sight post. Therefore the shooter aligns the dot with the top of the rear sight. This of course leads to them placing all their rounds high.

As pointed out, fiber optic sights don't work well in low or no light. The fiber optic cable absorbs and channels light so it glows on the end. No light equals no glow.

and if you shoot an open gun and your fiber is red, you sometimes treat the red fiber optic like the red dot in the scope and just let her rip :roflol: in other words focus too much on the glowing red fiber instead of proper proper sight alignment. Changed the fiber optic in my Limited gun to green and I found it made me slow down and actually aim. Liking it so far.

My issue is what others have said. I look for the FO rather than use it as a way to locate the outline of the front sight. I tried plain FSs, which do have a strong following, and got better hits until I had to shoot at targets in the shade or even steel at night shoots. I simply could not pick up the front sight at all. My personal choice now is to get as small a FO as possible and don't heat the end up until it is the size of a small mushroom.

My issue is what others have said. I look for the FO rather than use it as a way to locate the outline of the front sight. I tried plain FSs, which do have a strong following, and got better hits until I had to shoot at targets in the shade or even steel at night shoots. I simply could not pick up the front sight at all. My personal choice now is to get as small a FO as possible and don't heat the end up until it is the size of a small mushroom.

I really like the Brazos Microdot on my Limited gun; the dot is bright enough to see but small enough for precision.

An issue I have seen with fiber optic sights, even among good shooters, is that when shooting fast there is a tendency to see the dot as being the important thing instead of the overall shape of the front sight post. Therefore the shooter aligns the dot with the top of the rear sight. This of course leads to them placing all their rounds high.

I've noticed the same problem and rather than change out my FO sights, I've continued to work on my shooting with them. The jury is still out on whether I've been successful.

they dont work too well at night shoots.

I have found that if your shooting at night with lights they work perfectly. Can't speak to total darkness. How would you even see the targets if its pitch black out? :blink:

Get the Truglo TFO with both tritium and fiber optics.

They work well and install easy.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/61000-1.html

Too wide and too expensive.

Just get the Dawson. I prefer .090" but two of my guns have .100" on them because that's what they came with.

I don't think they are that expensive. Wide they are but more so along the lines of the factory sights.

They are one of the only sights though that I know of that work with both, tritium and FO. I think there was another but they were almost twice the amount.

I personally like to run a plain serrated back with a FO front.

FO Front and plain rear sight seems good to me.

Three FO dots distract me

I got a feel for how the FO Dot should sit in the rear notch

The biggest surprise for me is that if you are shooting into Light, you can't see the FO Dot.

Of course the light you are shooting into woul be brighter than the FO Light but I thought you would be able to see it.

Light coming from above/to the side is the best.

When heating the end of the rod, keep the flame really far away and check the rod often.

The end will get too large and even warp a little

How durable are the rods? Is one brand better than the others, as long as they are the same diameter.

I imagine they are something I'll want to keep in my range bag. What do you guys keep spare rods in so they don't break. If I remove then cartridge from a ball point pen, will that work as a storage container or is something longer better?

Trvlngnrs

I use fiber sights - and for aging eyes, I think the tradeoffs are worth it. For shooters with really good eyesight, they may compromise absolute accuracy a bit. Travis T, and many other top shooters don't use them.

When melting the fiber, I find it helful to cut it to approximate length, then rotate it in a cordless drill while heating until cool - this tends to keep the enlarged dot round.

I hear ya...I got 50 year old eyes.

I ordered the Warren Tactical sights from Shooters Connection using the forum discount. I saved so much money I purchased the red and green FO rods. :roflol:

Is there anything I need to be aware of when storing them? Do they scratch? Will they break easy? Do I need to keep them in a PVC pipe or something like that?

Trvlngnrs

• 1 month later...

When heating the end of the rod, keep the flame really far away and check the rod often.

The end will get too large and even warp a little

I actually prefer to heat up a flathead screwdriver and press it against the fiber. In my experience, if your pressure is even you'll get a very round dot, and there's no discoloration from the flame. This method has the added benefit that you can press the melty fiber into the contours of the post, getting it a little snugger (and less likely to bounce around and break).

I also do the muzzle end of the fiber FIRST, then cut the other end. (And I let the muzzle-end of the fiber get big, to suck in that much more light.) The less excess you leave, the smaller the dot will be as you melt it down. This, combined with the screwdriver, gives you a lot of control over the size of your dot. Unfortunately, it also means that if you screw up, you've just wasted the whole length of fiber that's in the sight, instead of clipping off the "mushroom" and trying again with 1/8" less than you had to start with.

-- John.