Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shorty or Full Size for first open gun?!?

rrflyer

Looking at picking up a used open gun and trying to decide between a Trubor full size and a shorty. Both in 9mm.

Other than the obvious recoil are there any other cons to using a lightened shorty over a full size?

Hello: How about a lightened 5" :cheers: I started with a 9mm shorty and did all I could do to make it the best it could be. I then built a full length 9mm and it was just so much easier to shoot. I then built a lightened full length and it is better still. I don't see any disadvantage with the full length pistol but I do see some with the shorty in 9mm. Thanks, Eric

If you're a relatively new to Open like I am I'd suggest starting with a full size gun as it will be a little more forgiving and easier to shoot. As you progress you can then decide if you'd like a shorter gun. The more experienced Open guys in my club suggested I go with a full size gun for my first ground up build, which I'm glad I did. Its all about personal preference, but they all prefer full size guns too. If you're able to take both a full size gun and a shorty out for a test drive then that would be great. Also, consider a 90 degree scope mount as it makes that dot so much easier to pick up when you're first starting out. Makes the transition from irons to scope simpler, especially if you go back and forth between divisions like I do. Open is sure as hell addicting

For a first time shooter I would find a good used open gun. Shoot it till it breaks and then build yourself a gun. By that time you will know what you are looking for in a open gun. My personal opinion I like a mid size open gun balance of a shorty with the felt recoil of a full size.

I'm relatively new to Open as well. Got a used 5" mid-length with Bedell Ti comp & Alchin C-more mount. The balance is close to my single stack. Full size guns feel a bit more front heavy. After shooting it for a few months I still love the balance of it, but wish for a flatter shooting gun with less dot movement. Now I've come to the point of wanting to get another gun as back up (or leave the old one as back up). I may either get another mid length or go with a seriously lightened full size. Full size should shoot flatter everything being equal.

I have both, get the full size. Some one said full size is nose heavy, well those old school heavy comps account for the nose heavy, a lighter comp like the Brazos or even an aluminum guide rod can change that. I have one gun with a Ti Comp I put a tungsten guide rod in it to hold it down. I transitioned form heavy open guns to light open guns (slide 10oz or less) one has a 7 oz slide, I like the light guns, they drive easier, but the heavy ones don't buck as much, its all about your preferece.. I shoot 9 major, I don't recommend it for your first open gun, the 38S is a lot easier to keep running and develope loads for.

There is a name for a super light weight shorty, Steel Gun.

If you're a relatively new to Open like I am I'd suggest starting with a full size gun as it will be a little more forgiving and easier to shoot. As you progress you can then decide if you'd like a shorter gun. The more experienced Open guys in my club suggested I go with a full size gun for my first ground up build, which I'm glad I did. Its all about personal preference, but they all prefer full size guns too. If you're able to take both a full size gun and a shorty out for a test drive then that would be great. Also, consider a 90 degree scope mount as it makes that dot so much easier to pick up when you're first starting out. Makes the transition from irons to scope simpler, especially if you go back and forth between divisions like I do. Open is sure as hell addicting

+1

I have 2 full lenght open guns and one shorty. Now I shoot only this year with full lenght open guns which have titanium comps and steel guide rods. I think full lenght open guns are safer choice and in the end you will want to try one. I think most of the top shooters use full lenght open guns or am I totally wrong. Try both and go with you like the best and don't think back after that. Shoot at least two years with it before start thinking about new open guns. You can't help it any of us can't. It's what open shooters do think how I can improve my gun. :rolleyes:

I have both.

The Bedell, "Shorty" transitions a lot faster than the full-sized, but, the full sized comes back on target faster.

According to the drills I've done, I'm faster with the shorty.

Ask every open shooter you can find to try their gun out ;) Most of 'em will be happy to let you put ammo through the gun.

If you can't do that for some reason, and you have to go with the most likely option to work, a 5" gun is going to be more forgiving. A full size, full weight gun, however, is just going to be slow all the way around. The 5" Brazos Custom Pro series gun that I shot for two years is probably a perfect model for a beginner's gun - 42-ish ounces, soft and smooth to shoot, but not overly fat, so it still points pretty well and cycles pretty fast.

+1 again on the lightened full size; my newish Open gun is a 5" with a 10.8 oz slide and no barrel holes, very happy with it though I might add a tiny bit of weight since I'm still an Open novice and it feels like a little more weight might make it more stable. Dont know about muzzle heavy 5 inchers but its probably due to old school comps as mentioned before. Running a light Brazos steel comp and a cone barrel and the gun balances pretty neutral