Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shorty or Full Size for first open gun?!?

rrflyer

Looking at picking up a used open gun and trying to decide between a Trubor full size and a shorty. Both in 9mm.

Other than the obvious recoil are there any other cons to using a lightened shorty over a full size?

At the Texas Limited I had the opportunity to watch some short open guns vs. a long one. The long one had a lot of "flop" for lack of a better term, while the shortys just sat there, flat as a pan cake in their hand.

I am not in this sport to win world championship, I am here for fun only, and to me shorties are simply much more fun, simple as that. I had owned three full size guns, making an honest effort to get used to them, but none of them (all from great masters) gave me the pure sensational pleasure of shooting a shortie - to me it is like driving a small and light sport car, hard to explain, but easy to feel.

In my honest opinion, all that matters is the slide weight, compensator, porting, load, and overall gun weight. You want the slide as light as possible to reduce reciprocating mass, porting to reduce the earliest impulse and take advantage of the highest barrel pressures, a compensator to reduce the continued push of the load after the porting, and an overall gun weight that eliminates the movement of the gun as a result of the slide moving while not over burdening your personal strength. Lastly, you want a load that makes it all balance out with your personal gun.

Hypothetically, a shorty is best as long as you have enough load options in it with your particular caliber . . . and everyone knows it's easier to transition with one (an added bonus).

Hello: My 5" transitions just as fast as the Bedell shorty I had. It takes less powder to make major and tracks very flat. What else could you ask for? The slide on the Dos Equis weights 10.5 ozs and the the other weights 10 ozs. Thanks, Eric

post-9254-0-88541400-1311909034_thumb.jp

Edited by Aircooled6racer

In my honest opinion, all that matters is the slide weight, compensator, porting, load, and overall gun weight. You want the slide as light as possible to reduce reciprocating mass, porting to reduce the earliest impulse and take advantage of the highest barrel pressures, a compensator to reduce the continued push of the load after the porting, and an overall gun weight that eliminates the movement of the gun as a result of the slide moving while not over burdening your personal strength. Lastly, you want a load that makes it all balance out with your personal gun.

Hypothetically, a shorty is best as long as you have enough load options in it with your particular caliber . . . and everyone knows it's easier to transition with one (an added bonus).

+1

I just ordered my first "real" open gun from Akai custom guns. I went with hhis version of a open 9mm shorty which I like to call it a fat shorty. Reason I went with a shorty over a full length is for reason stated above, quicker transitions and less barrel wobble when driving the gun as I see it on others who have full lengths that are at my level.

Edited by DocMedic

Can you explain what barrel wobble is? I have never heard the term. Is it from your wrists being overpowered laterally, by the weight of the the gun?

I just ordered my first "real" open gun from Akai custom guns. I went with hhis version of a open 9mm shorty which I like to call it a fat shorty. Reason I went with a shorty over a full length is for reason stated above, quicker transitions and less barrel wobble when driving the gun as I see it on others who have full lengths that are at my level.

OK

Tis will be for sire a stupid question, but what do you class as a shorty.

I am looking to get my first open gun, the choices are both 2011 based both Major 9mm,

1, 5.5" barrel with 3 port comp. Overall length, 11.25"

2, 5" barrel with 2 port comp. Overall length, 10.25"

Questions

1, Will the 5" make the make the major cut?

2, Does 1/2" and a port make all that much difference? (No jokes please :blush: !!!)

Also I cant fire either gun, living in Europe has its draw backs!!! :( :( :(

Thanks

Can you explain what barrel wobble is? I have never heard the term. Is it from your wrists being overpowered laterally, by the weight of the the gun?

I see something that could be described as "wobble" when people have full-weight slides or extra-heavy springs in/on their open guns. A lightened and lightly-sprung full size gun like the Bedell that I shoot can be as flat-shooting, and more stable, than a shorty.

Tis will be for sire a stupid question, but what do you class as a shorty.

I typically think of a full size gun as anything with an un-shortened 5" slide and 5"+ barrel, even if it has a small comp that makes the overall length shorter than a "shorty".

I just bought a shorty. I'm new to open as well. For me, it was whatever I could find a decent deal on in the used marketplace. I figured I can shoot it for a couple years and see if there's anything I'd like to change. I got a good enough deal where I feel comfortable doing this. If I would have had to buy new, I probably would have stuck with limited.