Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I know this could start an avalanche of fun, all at my expense of course, but, does anyone know a good place to buy a quality office chair? Lately, I pretty much live in this thing, and it just ain't working out for me. I'm tired of the Office Max/Used furniture store thing - I'm ready to pay some bucks for something I can float on...

be

The best advice I can offer about a chair that you spend all day in is NOT to buy one online or to take someone else’s recommendation about what will work for you. Sure, people can tell you about features and direct you to places for the best pricing but YOU absolutely HAVE TO sit in the thing yourself, preferably sit in it more than a minute or two.

We have an entire office full of very different chairs (I’ve always said “go buy what you want”) and I have, on occasion, spent a while in many of them. They ALL work very well for the people who chose them and NONE of them work for me. That said, I have a Samsonite (yeah, just like the luggage) and it’s the most comfortable chair I’ve EVER sat in! I bought it from Office Max; it was in the “clearance” section.

Good Luck (you’re going to need it)

Ed

be:

I tried them all, wore most of them out. Then I bought this futuristic looking thing from Herman Miller...it has like a net seat and back, adjustable about 712 ways. If I can find a link I will post it. Pricey...yes. 5 years later I forget what I paid.

Brian, I bought a chair the other day for my son to take to school, for believe it or not, 50 bucks at walmart. I like it so well that my leather, over stuffed too many gadgets POS went to school and I took the wallyworld special. Larry

Yeah, The Aeron! I have a client that got a half dozen at $250 a pop when Silicon Graphics downsized they actually took cash for excess office furnishings. I pooh, poohed it and passed on the offer to get one of those at $250. What was I thinking? Whenever I spend an evening going through their office computers I get reacquainted with what I missed out on. The Aeron really is everything it is made out to be. It's only money, eh? :P

You may also want to check out one of these: http://www.officeorganix.com/GLBKneel.htm

The kneeling chair is a wonderful break from a regular chair. Google on kneeling chair to locate several manufacturers. Alternating between the two is the best way to go if you are at the computer for many hours at a time, although I know several programmers who use them exclusively.

Guest Larry Cazes

Brian, check out the chairs at "The Back Store". Pricy but since most of us spend 6-8 hours a day working in an office chair....well worth the price!

Another vote for the Aeron, BUT make sure you sit in one first. I love mine, but my office mate can not stand them. If you are too tall or too short they may not work for you.

The price is kinda high, but I have a feeling they retail for less then that. Further I wouldn;t hesitate to buy a used one, assuming it was not damaged. This things look like they wouldn't last a week, what with the plastic mesh and all, but they last forever. I have had mine for about 4 years, I spend about 6 hours a day in it, and my weight has been between 260lb and 300lb for that time period, and there is no wear what so ever on that chair. It is as good as the day I got it and I would be hard press to tell you if it was used or new.

Good luck

Vlad

Avalanche incoming...

And she left me all alone to her shipping work. :-( Man, does she keep track of a lot of stuff - I couldn't live without her.
does anyone know a good place to buy a quality office chair? Lately, I pretty much live in this thing, and it just ain't working out for me.

Looks like bigJoni's absence left you sitting on the ground...

:lol::lol::lol:

:D

Yeah, the Aeron is a great chair. Steelcase makes some incredible chairs too that look a lot like the Aeron. I have a Steelcase "Leap" chair at work now; it was like $800. Bye bye back aches! I am a big guy and am hard on chairs (mostly because I am essentially chained to it from 8 to 5). The Steelcase has stood up to my abuse for 5 years and is still as solid as the day it rolled in the door.

I keep threatening to buy one for home but find other things to spend my money on. :D

Brian,

Look at Design Within Reach (www.dwr.com). Nice stuff, moderately priced (I'll get you a designer's discount) and looks cool too.

If there's nothing there that you like, then try IKEA (www.ikea.com). Swedish!

Rich

Holy crap, thanks everyone for those great links. I had no idea! The Aeron chair looks like the shit, but, I definitely need to sit in one for a bit before spending $900, no matter how cool it looks. I do some looking locally...

Thanks again!

be

I have to second HERMAN MILLER products. Did a project for them in FL & used several of the chairs noted. Best sit down I have ever had. Their stuff is very expensive but so are visits to the chiropractor. They also make complete office systems, desks, files and everything else related. If STI made office stuff, it would be Herman Miller.

If you need something in FL, drop me a private line & I'll give a name to contact.

This is why I love this forum!

I'm thinking about a new office chair myself to replace my $29.95 four years ago" piece of crap, and, as if by hand of the occult, here are the answers!

Thanks from me, too! Brian, be sure to let us know if the Aeron feels good to you...

Michael B

I'm thinking about a new office chair myself to replace my $29.95 four years ago" piece of crap, and, as if by hand of the occult, here are the answers

Anyone out there hearing echoes of the "Plate Of Shrimp" concept from the movie Repo Man? Because this certainly is a "Big Plate Of Shrimp" :rolleyes:

--

Regards,

• 1 year later...

I have looked at both the Herman Miller, and the Nightingale CXO. Anyone have any experience with the Nightingale? BE, did you ever get a Miller, and if so what do you think of it? I spend about 6-8 hours a day in my office chair, and the POS that i currently have REALLY needs to be replaced.