Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2 w/ lightened bolt vs stock bolt

cajun0007

I was recently able to shoot 2 brand new M2's side by side with the only difference being that one had a lightened bolt and the other had the stock bolt. I used the exact same ammo in each and to my surprise the felt recall in the M2 w/ the stock bolt was much less. I did notice the action to be quicker with the lightened bolt. Has anyone else done this non scientific test and what was your outcome? Another shooter who owns the M2 w/ the lightned bolt shot both shotguns and noticed the same recall effect that I did.

Please share your thoughts on why this could be. I have always been told/read that a lightened bolt will reduce felt recall.

thanks,

I had my bolt lightened by Benny Hill and the main reason I had it done was for the extra shadow round I can get in it if I need (in the case of a wild cat match). You can't get a shadow round with the new M2 stock bolt. With a 5+ mag extension I can get 10 rounds total in my M2 (of course I only load 9 for Tac-Optics). It also allows you to shoot low recoil slugs with no issue.

As for recoil, I don't even know it until I'm done shooting. Recoil...what recoil? Course I have the ComforTech stock too which helps.

Lightening the bolt does not allow the extra shell loading onto the carrier. That is adifferant mod to the bolt. I found that lightening the bolt is best when used in conjuction with light recoil ammo in the 1150 fps range. Not as much benefit if you use more powerful ammo.

Lightening the bolt does not allow the extra shell loading onto the carrier. That is adifferant mod to the bolt. I found that lightening the bolt is best when used in conjuction with light recoil ammo in the 1150 fps range. Not as much benefit if you use more powerful ammo.

You are correct, but by performing the bolt mod to get a shadow round, you basically shave off metal on the bolt along with the protruding thing on the front of the bolt...therefore it is lightened. B)

See before and after pictures here.

post-15700-0-13851000-1309436046_thumb.j

post-15700-0-37306100-1309436053_thumb.j

A lightened bolt will cycle faster & shoot lighter ammo. The lighter ammo will kick less.

Mr Hill, if I am not concerned with shooting the lighest loads in my M2 should I just leave the bolt stock? My main diet for my M2 is Federal from Walmart 7 1/2 or 8 shot and it runs flawlessly. Remington low recoil slugs have been flawless also.

I just did the ghost load mod to my benelli last night. It only involves making a 45 degree angle on the rear most notch on the bolt carrier. There is most certainly no signifcant lightening of the bolt involved. Took longer to figure out how to get the bolt to pass over the round than make the modification. Thanks to all who posted pictures and advice.

As far as modfiying something that already achieves the result you seek...why bother? You're headed for disappointing progress.

A lightened bolt will cycle faster & shoot lighter ammo. The lighter ammo will kick less.

Mr Hill, if I am not concerned with shooting the lighest loads in my M2 should I just leave the bolt stock? My main diet for my M2 is Federal from Walmart 7 1/2 or 8 shot and it runs flawlessly. Remington low recoil slugs have been flawless also.

Good question, I would like to hear from Benny on this one too.

On the same note, a friend of mine had his bolt lightened and didn't like the recoil feel. He mostly uses the Federal Walmart stuff too but sometimes goes to #6, 00, and slug. He eventually took it out and put a stock bolt back in.

You are correct, but by performing the bolt mod to get a shadow round, you basically shave off metal on the bolt along with the protruding thing on the front of the bolt...therefore it is lightened. B)

your pics of the area of metal removed have nothing to do with the mod to ghost load (or shadow round). Trust us.

your pics of the area of metal removed have nothing to do with the mod to ghost load (or shadow round). Trust us.

Well then, I guess I'll have to get back to Benny on that one...I sent my bolt to him for ghost load and that's what came back. I'm no shotgun guru by any means...just relaying what I was told. Thanks for enlightening me!

• 2 years later...

Old thread but came up in a search so I hope no one minds the resurrection.

I'm leaning pretty heavy on picking up an m2 this week and I'm also curious about having the bolt lightened. I mostly shoot walmart bulk federal ammo so I'm wondering if its really needed or if it improves reliability.

I get less felt recoil with the lightened bolt.

I shot my M1 with regular bolt then with same ammo a TTI bolt. At first I thought I screwed up because the kick is more there. However the sight is back on target much faster and the recoil is more quick.

the best way to explain is like shooting major load 40 with a slow powder (stock bolt) and major load 40 with a fast powder like clays (lightened bolt)

• 2 weeks later...

Both of my M2s have bolts lightened by Accurate Iron. I can't tell less recoil but the guns cycle faster. They always ran with good ammo before and now are more forgiving with cheap bulk stuff too. And they look great.

Craig