Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lesson's Learned. DQ Story from Area 1 Championships

robot

Don't put on a band-aid on your weak hand if you're using weak hand reloads. Here's my video of the Area 1 Championships at Albany, OR, last weekend. Up to the point I got DQed.

How did my gun drop? Ejection Rod got caught under my band-aid and when I reached down to grab the moonclip, it tore the gun out of my hand. Like so:

cimg2325.jpg

The last time I competed with my weak hand injured, I went ahead an used a glove over the bandage. Was thinking about the impact of the ejection rod on the wound as opposed to something like this. Man, that must have been some kind of sticky stuff on that bandaid!

Robot,

Sorry that happened. :(

I notice that you shoot with a fairly extreme "high thumbs" grip style, which requires you to open up your right hand pretty substantially just to get your support hand in and out of there. At the point where you open up your hand, the gun is supported pretty loosely. Once you're looking for it, you can see it on all your reloads.

You may want to experiment with modifying your grip to a style that will allow you to retain a stronger and surer grip on the gun as the left hand comes off.

Put a bit less delicately--if a mere band-aid is enough to pull the gun from your grasp, you ain't grasping it hard enough!

(Your grip works well when shooting, though--it's obvious you have good recoil control.)

Others will benefit from your experience. Thanks for being brave enough to post it.

Thanks guys! My first and last DQ ;)

@Open17 I use the Contour HD 720p camera on my own hat mount. Love the quality. Wish I could get the new Contour+ but can't justify the cost.

@mikeC thanks for the tip. I need to find a happy medium between my thumbs forward and a better grip. Trying to keep a consistent grip across different guns. Maybe switch to strong hand reload? :)

Ouch that hurts...and in more ways than one. I appreciate you showing the video. I do strong hand reloading, and I just starting to try and learn weak hand loading. I am finding out that I get psyched up and hit the extractor rod harder than what is needed when I do weak hand reloading.

Sorry about the DQ, you look like you are really rocking that revo. Like your sense of humor about it in the video. Thanks for posting it, now I know to use tape if I ever have to bandage like that.

That little cluster on the swinger was darn nice!

I agree with other, Robot - bummer, but you are really shooting that wheelgun well. :cheers: And thanks for the words of warning.

Sounds like you dropped an empty gun with the action open. Was it an automatic DQ, or was it up to the SO?

I notice that you shoot with a fairly extreme "high thumbs" grip style, which requires you to open up your right hand pretty substantially just to get your support hand in and out of there. At the point where you open up your hand, the gun is supported pretty loosely. Once you're looking for it, you can see it on all your reloads.

Good info, Mike. I'll have to check my own reload grip as well.

Tom

Again I don't understand the slamming of the ejection rod with the weak hand. If you are having problems getting your clips out and have to hit that hard to cause injury then have to either put band aids or wear a glove. Then you should have the cylinder reamed and use cleaner powder. I know from your chrono that is not the case and as with most that use this technique it is not the sticky or hard to eject moons that are the problem but technique.

When I open my cylinder with my week hand my thumb is already in position to push on the extractor and I have never had to hit the extractor with the palm of my hand and I have never had any moon clips fail to clear or try to fall back in. I think there was a topic on this earlier and everybody was showing the palms with the nice little holes in their palms. I would try to change my way of hitting the extractor as it is not needed to hit it so hard and the time difference between the two would be of little difference and probably faster with the thumb.

And one last thing on not injuring your week hand by these type of reloads is that at the end of the day and the scoring is done and whether you did great in the match or bombed. You are still able to drink a cold one with your week hand. :cheers:

I hit the extractor with my palm also. I think it's faster than using the left thumb. Anyway, it works for me.

I haven't cut nearly as many holes in my palm since I filed down the ends of the extractor rods to de-sharpen them a little.

On the occasions when I get a little too aggressive and manage to gouge my hand, I usually just rub some range dirt into the cuts to help stop the bleeding. B)

Loke, Did you have video of the trail run? I seem to remember you had a blistering run on that stage,

wondered where you went.

Sorry for the trip to DQ, but thanks for the lessons.

TimE

Edited by Tim Egan

Again I don't understand the slamming of the ejection rod with the weak hand. If you are having problems getting your clips out and have to hit that hard to cause injury then have to either put band aids or wear a glove. Then you should have the cylinder reamed and use cleaner powder.

I'm not having problems ejecting, the thing with weak hand reloads is that when you're in the middle of a stage and things get exciting, you tend to do everything quickly and with very little fine motor control. that's why I end up slamming the ejection rod hastily. If you notice, most of the time I don't get hurt but there are times I do.

Loke, Did you have video of the trail run? I seem to remember you had a blistering run on that stage,wondered where you went. Sorry for the trip to DQ, but thanks for the lessons.TimE

hey Tim. I didn't get to run that stage. The person you're refering to is James Austin who won the Revolver division. He's bloody fast! I got DQed before I could shoot that stage. Although I did run a lot of cameras & tape for the other shooters :)

Sorry about the DQ, they suck. I was watching your video and if you watch the reload at about the 5min mark it sure looks like you swept your left hand. Not being critical but take a real close look for yourself, I am guessing the RO would not have been able to see that since you where in a hallway.

DQ's always suck.. First time i got DQ'ed I was heart broken untill one of the GM's that was shooting that day came up to me an said there are two types of shooters.. those that have been DQ'ed and those that will be DQ'ed.. Made me feel better =)