Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak hand practice?

Michael64

Does anyone ever practice with there weak shooting?

Does weak hand shooting come up in matches?

I was practicing weak hand shooting last summer because

Area 8 had one weak hand stage...

While trying to shoot weak hand, I discovered a "better

way of pulling the trigger" than I was using prior.

Helps my two - handed shooting, also.

Weak hand forced me to break the trigger pull down into

small increments (with a light trigger - not a DA trigger.

Really helped me focus on how to correctly pull the

trigger anytime.

It's time well spent...

Jack

On many classifiers, you go to weak hand after the reload. So in dryfire, I practice weakhand/strong hand after the reload. You get the transfer, the reload, and one hand/weak hand all in one exercise.

Edited by JimmyZip

Absolutely. In fact at yesterday's local match we had a classifer (99-46) with a weak hand string. I try to always practice at least a couple of mags worth of weak hand every time I go to the range. Strong hand too.

At least 10% of every practice session. And not just slow fire for accuracy, of course!

Now that my support side elbow requires some rest to heal up, however-- I'm actually going to be shooting 90% SHO for a few weeks. And I hope to be one of the best at it! I got the opportunity to use it more extensively than normal on Sunday, and sure enough (even with only 2 SHO-only sessions) I did extremely well-- especially compared to my previous performances.

Truth be told, it can actually teach you a few things about shooting freestyle and even if we never used it, it would be valuable to practice.

I had an on the job injury that required surgery on my shooting hand thumb. I spend three months shooting weak hand only at the agency range. Now I shoot better with my weak hand than I do my strong hand. The hardest thing about it was loading mags lol.