Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One powder for 9mm minor and 40 major?

XDman

Trying to find one powder for both my guns. I was going to use N320, but cant find any locally. Have some on order but no idea when I will get it. So I am looking for a backup powder. Bullet weights are as follows:

9mm minor for production XD Tactical 5in MG 147gr cmj

40 S&W major for Limited STI 5in. MG 200gr cmj

Have thought about Hodgdon Clays or Titegroup. Looking for something clean burning as my old powder was N350, and really gunked up the chamber after about 100 rounds. Incomplete burn.

Edited by XDman

40 major and a 200 grainer with Clays would be too much pressure IMO. Try Solo 1000. I run 4.5 grains under my 180 BBI's at 1.135 to make major out of my 4.5 XDM. Ive seen quite a few 9mm loads with Solo 1k but I have yet to develop one for myself.

Edited by Avezorak

Solo 1000 works for me...

Trying to find one powder for both my guns. I was going to use N320, but cant find any locally. Have some on order but no idea when I will get it. So I am looking for a backup powder. Bullet weights are as follows:

9mm minor for production XD Tactical 5in MG 147gr cmj

40 S&W major for Limited STI 5in. MG 200gr cmj

Have thought about Hodgdon Clays or Titegroup. Looking for something clean burning as my old powder was N350, and really gunked up the chamber after about 100 rounds. Incomplete burn.

WST works great in both with the bullets you've listed. Only problem with WST

is its an inverse powder; in other words the colder the outside temp the hotter

the load. So the reverse applies; the hotter the outside temp the lower the

velocity (I live in Northern Illinois).

The shooters that I shoot with that use 9mm and the MG 147gr bullet use 3.3 grains

of WST and it makes about a 140pf.

I shoot a 40sw and use 4.6 grains of WST and both MG 200gr cmj and Zero 200gr fmj.

It makes about a 170pf. I shoot the MG indoors and the Zero's outdoors. But when

it gets in the 90's I'm real close to going minor with the same charge.

If you try WST please start the powder charges lower on both and work up to the

loads I've listed. WST works real good in my Dillon 550.

AA #5 and Win 231 are two decent choices for both of those calibers. I used them for years before going on to VV powders. Maybe not the best but they will definitely get the job done and they are almost always available in almost any reloader supply store...

Good luck...

Universal Clays works great for both.

That's what I was going to say. I've loaded 9mm minor 124gr and 147gr with Universal...and just checked Hodgdon's data to see that it should make major with .40 easily. As an added bonus, double charges should be glaringly obvious...though possible to fit with heavier bullet weights.

That's what I was going to say. I've loaded 9mm minor 124gr and 147gr with Universal...and just checked Hodgdon's data to see that it should make major with .40 easily. As an added bonus, double charges should be glaringly obvious...though possible to fit with heavier bullet weights.

I have shot thousands of Limited Major loads with that powder - 180 grain bullets with 5.3gr of powder.

I have shot thousands of Limited Major loads with that powder - 180 grain bullets with 5.3gr of powder.

WOW 5.3 those must be hot loads. i am making major at 4.6

WOW 5.3 those must be hot loads. i am making major at 4.6

Probably depends on the gun, bullet and the batch of powder, mine admittedly were on the hot side, pf of 175, out of Glock 35 and Edge, but 5 grains were below major. Are you by any chance using lead bullets? Because with those I only needed 4.6gr for fp of 167.

WST works great in both with the bullets you've listed. Only problem with WST

is its an inverse powder; in other words the colder the outside temp the hotter

the load. So the reverse applies; the hotter the outside temp the lower the

velocity (I live in Northern Illinois).

The shooters that I shoot with that use 9mm and the MG 147gr bullet use 3.3 grains

of WST and it makes about a 140pf.

I shoot a 40sw and use 4.6 grains of WST and both MG 200gr cmj and Zero 200gr fmj.

It makes about a 170pf. I shoot the MG indoors and the Zero's outdoors. But when

it gets in the 90's I'm real close to going minor with the same charge.

If you try WST please start the powder charges lower on both and work up to the

loads I've listed. WST works real good in my Dillon 550.

How clean is it in your guns? My XD Tactical is very picky!

So far I see Solo 1000, but another thread indicates Solo is not the best choice for 40.

I really need a clean burning powder with the bullet weights I indicated.

Edited by XDman

TG, American Select, 231, Power Pistol, WSF, Unique, Universal, 4756, N310, N320, N340, Competition, Zip, Silhoutte, Solo 1000, WSt, Accurate #2 and #5, Green Dot.

With proper load development they all work. Use what you can get cheaply and shoot it. It also depends on what type of recoil impulse you like. I stick with TG because I made a good deal on a bunch of it.

Edited by toddrod