Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock Selection for a JP

Smokin

Im about to place an order for a rifle build with JP. So far I have selected a JP SCR-11 with an 18" light contour barrel and extended handguard. The optic that I will be using is an Elcan. I know this is subjective, but I wanted this group's advice on buttstock selection. I come from a tactical long range background so I find the carbine stages to be my "comfort zone" in 3 gun competition. That bein said, I am looking for a stock that doesnt have an excessive LOP as I am shorter in stature, but isnt so light that the balance/weight distribution of the weapon is off. I have been using this same optic on a LMT MPR piston rifle with the LMT Sompod stock. Do you find the Magpul PRS to be too heavy and bulky for this game? Any suggestions? Do any of you just stick with the ACE Stock that is specified with zero cost?

Im about to place an order for a rifle build with JP. So far I have selected a JP SCR-11 with an 18" light contour barrel and extended handguard. The optic that I will be using is an Elcan. I know this is subjective, but I wanted this group's advice on buttstock selection. I come from a tactical long range background so I find the carbine stages to be my "comfort zone" in 3 gun competition. That bein said, I am looking for a stock that doesnt have an excessive LOP as I am shorter in stature, but isnt so light that the balance/weight distribution of the weapon is off. I have been using this same optic on a LMT MPR piston rifle with the LMT Sompod stock. Do you find the Magpul PRS to be too heavy and bulky for this game? Any suggestions? Do any of you just stick with the ACE Stock that is specified with zero cost?

MagPul ACS. Adjustable LOP, locking so no rattle, great cheek weld, not too sticky.

I've used the Magpul CTR, UBR and PRS for three gun. I'm currently using the UBR and love it. I've got an ACS that's going on my next build to try out. How is the height of the LMT SOPMOD with your scope. If it's good I wouldn't worry about running the PRS unless you need the adjustable cheekpiece. As far as the weight of the stocks it's normally not too big of an issue since its at the rear of the gun. Just changes the balance point to closer to your strong hand. I like the way it balances with a heavy stock.

Just an FYI I believe that to utilize the JP Low Mass Operating system you needed to use a stock with a full length buffer tube. I'm not sure if you were planing on using one for this rifle or not. It is a great feature of the JP rifles when combined with their muzzle break and adjustable gas block and was one of the principle features that attracted me to JP rifles. YMMV :cheers:

Smokin: I have the PRS on an 18" SS barrel/15" JP Handguard upper and I think it balances out enough for me. While the stock is heavy, it's still not as heavy as the front end. I don't have any issues with it being too bulky for the stages, nor for my build, but I'm a bigger frame guy at 6'2" 210.

Will the JP Low Mass System work with a UBR stock? Doesn't this stock come with its own buffer tube? Is it long enough to use with the low mass buffer? This seems like a good thread to ask in. The ACE stock seemed to be a little on the lengthy side for me. Or at least the one I shot of my buddies. Im sure the pad wasn't removed though.

If I remember correctly the JP buffer is about 3oz which is the same as a normal carbine buffer so he might be able to use that instead for similar results.

Correct. The JP LMOS buffer and the carbine buffer weigh roughly the same. One of the reasons I haven't switched to a rifle length tube.

Will the JP Low Mass System work with a UBR stock? Doesn't this stock come with its own buffer tube? Is it long enough to use with the low mass buffer? This seems like a good thread to ask in. The ACE stock seemed to be a little on the lengthy side for me. Or at least the one I shot of my buddies. Im sure the pad wasn't removed though.

No bueno. Per Magpul, UBR needs M4 carbine buffer and spring. However, due to similar buffer wights it may not matter much except buffer spring weight may be different and thus giving a different recoil impulse than the JP LMOS. But, if adjustability is important you might want to stick with the UBR or other adjustable stock. You might also try an A1 length stock which is slightly shorter than a full-size A2.

You could try the Mags EFX-A1 stock - I am using one and really like it, nice cheekweld, feels a lot like a SOPMOD but in a fixed A1 length stock. Very nice solid feel with a bit of weight to it but not too much. I feel its a bit of a bargain too, $90 for a full kit inc stock, buffer tube, screw spring and buffer - or you can just get the stock only for a little bit cheaper.

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?products_id=373

Edited by DanielW

The UBR DOES come with its own buffer tube. You would need to purchase a spring and carbine buffer separately. I would suggest either the Tubbs/SSS spring or the JP Carbine Spring and a regular 3oz buffer. I take that back, just order the rifle from JP with the UBR and you will get it setup perfectly from the start. I find the UBR and PRS both work well, I do utilize the adjustability of the UBR more often then I thought I would. Collapsing it full or partially came in handy on the rappelling stage at SMM3G, shooting from inside vehicle stages and even prone at times. It even works very well with a 20" barrel. :cheers:

So I "pulled the trigger" and ordered a JP yesterday. Seems I have 8 weeks to decide, but the UBR seems to be a heavy stock. I had this on a Noveske barreled AR in the past. It seemed to balance the rifle out a bit, but was still a bit bulky. I also talked to JP about carbine buffers with their low mass operating system and they said it isnt a problem. I believe they provide the carbine buffer and no longer use their proprietary buffer in these configurations.

I'm running the UBR with my JP 18' upper and it balances out very nicely. I am running the LMOS BCG and a JP carbine spring and standard carbine buffer. It runs like a super greased top :D

As I recall, I am right around 600 rounds on it without a single hitch

Just an FYI I believe that to utilize the JP Low Mass Operating system you needed to use a stock with a full length buffer tube. I'm not sure if you were planing on using one for this rifle or not. It is a great feature of the JP rifles when combined with their muzzle break and adjustable gas block and was one of the principle features that attracted me to JP rifles. YMMV :cheers:

Don't tell my rifle! I have a standard weight carbine buffer and tube on my rifle with low mass bolt carrier. So far it works fine.

Don't tell my rifle! I have a standard weight carbine buffer and tube on my rifle with low mass bolt carrier. So far it works fine.

I think he's referring to the full LMOS w/ carrier and buffer. The LMOS carrier works perfectly fine with a carbine buffer. Carbine buffer and LMOS buffer are approximately the same weight.

• 1 month later...

I've used the Magpul CTR, UBR and PRS for three gun. I'm currently using the UBR and love it. I've got an ACS that's going on my next build to try out. How is the height of the LMT SOPMOD with your scope. If it's good I wouldn't worry about running the PRS unless you need the adjustable cheekpiece. As far as the weight of the stocks it's normally not too big of an issue since its at the rear of the gun. Just changes the balance point to closer to your strong hand. I like the way it balances with a heavy stock.

I just put an ACS on my STI rifle last night. Really sweet! I had replaced the standard stock with a PRS but that was just too heavy. I just put the ACS on and it still balances well feels just as good or maybe even a little better. You can really shorten up the stock also for shorter arms. I'm an average build (about 5'10") so it works great in the middle positions so far for me. It's nice to know I can shorten or lengthen as needed now.

just got in an 18" JP upper, extended length handguard and heatsink

running it on a lower I build with a UBR and standard CAR buffer / spring setup

ran like a champ and balances well

I like the CTR on lighter uppers but the UBR works great on heavier ones or longer barrels to make it more balanced.

same lower works great with a PRI upper with an 18" SPR douglas barrel (about the same weight as the JP upper)

Edited by ccoker