Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Boots

Due to an injury to my Achilles (full rupture), when I finally get this cast off my leg I want to start wearing boots that will give my ankle a degree of support. I have looked at the Hi-Tec Magnum boots but the sole is pretty standard and I am looking for something a bit more of a studded pattern to deal with the soft terrain we may encounter doing PSG.

I have seen some Adidas GSG9 2 hi leg boots and whilst looking like they will give some support, they also look to have a studded type sole. At £110 + I don’t want to get them if they are crap!

Does anyone have any experience with these, or good or bad things to say about them?

Link http://www.shopadidas.com/product/index.jsp?origkw=&productId=2434910

Or if anyone can suggest alternatives, but they must be light and have a sole suitable for soft terrain (preferably with some kind of studded pattern).

Thanks in advance.

M

When I needed to get some additional ankle support without going to something too heavy, I asked around some people I know who wear boots every day in the sandbox. The most frequently mentioned brand was OTB. Of those, I found a few that were light weight and would breath. I settled on the OTB Fer de Lance in part because I found them on sale. I must say that they have worked very well for me so far.

+1 on the OTB boots.

I was very happy with the pair of OTB DesertLites that I wore out. I'll be getting another pair of them or the Bootistan model, which are getting good reviews, but I haven't tried them yet...

OTB Bootistan review

I wear the Danner Desert TFX for hard use (deployments and/or training). They are relatively light for a combat boot, but not as light as the OTB models mentioned above. Very comfortable and durable.

Danner TFX

I've seen Hi-Tec and Adidas boots fall apart after hard use in unforgiving conditions. The Converse boots I've seen have been hit or miss in their quality.

-Randy

The OTB boots are very nice. But..... I love boots, I wear boots all the time except for shooting. I find them too heavy, too inflexible and usually they don't have as much traction or grip as I would like on all the terrain we encounter in this sport. Maybe look at something like THIS. I don't have this model but I do have a pair of the shoes with the same sole and it grips like you wouldn't believe and is sooooo lightweight you will actually be amazed. The boots in the link I sent you only weigh 288 grams in a size 9. Yes, they are durable and hold up very well to abuse. A little ugly but they do have other models and..... function before fashion :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

I have ruptured my left achilles, and torn my right in two places. I now suffer with tendinosis and calcification in the right. The most comfortable boots I have found are the Converse side zip. I got a tan pair for shooting, and a black pair I wear on duty. I got mine at USCavalry when I had a coupon, and they came out to around $75 a pair. The soles are fairly aggressive, not as good as cleats, but we don't shoot much grass around here anymore, mostly gravel and mulch bays.

in the sandbox some of us wore oakley lightweight boots they felt like socks and were good for the 130 degree days. Bates and Danners are too heavy to be running around in, although thats what we were issued.

for uspsa i use coleman hiking boots, they have an aggressive sole for good traction and are plenty comfortable.

i dont like the cleats because you never know what kind of day you may have, ie range of rocks, maybe mud, just too much variable and hiking boots seem to be the happy median.

I used to have a pair of Oakleys and they did not fit well so I sold them to another shooter after wearing them twice. I think he wore them 5 matches before they fell apart and they were the real thing purchased from an Oakley dealer.

The best boots I have found are the ballestic cloth Bates with the side zipper. Great traction, solid support, lightweight and you can find them for $65 a pair. My current pair is 5 years old.

I used to wear cleats. But cleats are built for a game lasting a couple of hours. Stand on them all day and after about 3 hours you feel every cleat in the sole.

• 3 weeks later...

For 3-gun matches and USPSA & IDPA I wanted something a bit "stouter" than my usual running shoes. Mostly this was because the stones so many of the bays have are hard on the feet after a few hours, and also because I hate having wet feet. I decided that light weight boots ere an answer. I got a pair of New Balance 703s, for $80-90 and am pretty happy with them. They are water proof, light, & give some ankle support. I am not wild about the sole as it is rather flat. So far no problems but as they wear I think they will prove slippery on wet grass? What I like the most is how light they feel, nearly as good as running shoes. So I am provisionally happy, but think I will be able to find better gripping soles.

• 2 weeks later...

I wore a pair of 8" Magnums for a couple years and really loved them...only problem was they were a pain to get on and off, but a very comfortable boot. Last year I bought a pair of 6" Converse (with the zipper)and after getting them broken in, don't think I'll wear anything else again. The Converse provide excellent ankle support, have an aggressive sole and the zipper makes it a beeze to get them on and off. Check em out.

• 3 months later...

There is seemingly no relationship with how much you spend vs how much you get. The best boots I have ever used for shooting is a pair of $99 Bates with a zipper on the side. I have several pairs of Danner and like them less. I foolishly bought a pair of Oakley boots and my 10 year olds tennis shoes lasted longer.

I love the Oakley boots........... as long as they are bought by somebody else. They are the lightest, most comfy boots I have ever had that still had support. But in my experience, they don't hold up well. ;)

Asking what is the best boot is going to generate lots of diff opinions. I say try to find the brand that fits your foot the best and then look for the lightest model. While I like a Danner, somebody else won't.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Original SWAT makes som epretty good boots, I've worn Altamas for years as well. I just got a pair of 5-11 tac boots, but the reinforced toe area doesnt want to break in, the rest of the boot is comfortable, but my big toes are sore from rubbing on the reinforced toe portion.

Look friend, there is only one light weight boot if that is what you're truly after. Its Nikes military boots. I've wore Oakleys for awhile now but Nikes are truely light weight. You may have to have someone help you get them though. Asolos are great but if you want ankle support the boot has to go well beyond your ankle. I've been a ground pounded for most of my adult life. Ive even done some testing of boots for a few companies. Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by 9X23Guy

• 2 weeks later...