Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Open Gun

lgbmike

After years of resisting, I am finally moving to the Dark Side. I have done a lot of reading, e-mailed a few members and shot a few guns. I am going to throw out my options and see what you all think. This will be full size gun in 38SC.

My first choice was Millennium Custom, but with all the restructuring going on down there I did not want to get involved.

1st Choice- Dan Bedell=Cannot go wrong here in my book. Good, basic, solid, proven gun. I have no problem with his stuff, and great to talk to.

2nd Choice-Matt Mclearn=I like everything about his guns, outstanding craftsman but I just cannot get over the hybrid 3-4 hole barrels he likes to use; at least not yet.

I guess I kind of answered my own question.

I am of the “Buy it and shoot it till the wheels fall off” camp, not a “tinkerer” so besides working up a load and minor ergonomics, I do not want to mess with it. (so I say)

Thanks,

Michael

Hello: You can give Benny Hill a call at Triangle Shooting Sports and see what he can do for you. You may also check the classifieds for a good open pistol. It seems there are alot for sale right now since lots of guys are shooting Production. Thanks, Eric

You'll probably get a different builder for every reply that you get. At the end of the day as long as it runs and you get a load tuned for it, you'll be happy.

To answer your question .... I have your #1 choice in 9mm (purchased used from USPSA classifieds) and I'm having your #2 choice built (again in 9mm) which I should have in about 4 weeks if STI finished the cutom serial number frame. Matt will build the gun anyway you want ... you can use the hybricomp barrel with no holes, or start with just one. He can always add another hole or two if you decide to later down the road.

Enjoy the trip, shooting Open is a lot of fun.

Edited by ncboiler

Bedell......easy to talk to.... Knows his stuff... Takes time to explain things and always there... In fact his building one for me and should be ready next week.

If you want a new open gun, then all of the above smiths are very good. If you don't have access to shootingdifferent types of open guns, then buy a used one. You can get some really good prices on 38S open guns. 9 Major used guns tend to command high resale prices. Not every smith builds the same open gun. I would not have a new open gun built without knowing exactly what I wanted. In addition, your looking at a minimum 6 month wait for a new gun.

You could buy a STI Grand Master or Trubor (probably in stock at several locations). If you get one blued, you can always have the slide lightened or customized with some changes you like. I know several open shooters who bought STI Grand Masters off-the-shelf and made GM with that gun.

I will throw in Jim Anglin / Sailor's custom. Good turn a round great price and they run run run

+1

Jim does nice work, my dad has a 9mm major that he built him at the sametime he built me a limited gun.

great guns

Well then like you said. You answered your own question. But that makes me wonder, why ask a question you already have the answer for?

Get the bedell if thats what you want. ;)

Michael,

I think you first have to decide on what kind of gun you want, what is important to you. All those builders are good, but they each have their specialty.

I suggest figuring out your style of shooting and then looking for a gun that fits that style best.

Shay

Thanks for all the input. My intent was to get recomendations/experiences with the two chosen smiths, not a list of a dozen more.

Thanks,

Micheal

Have you called each builder? I talked to Matt on the phone and he answered all my questions and explained why he builds them the way he does. I'm sure Dan woe as well. Not sure who has the shortest wait time at this point but they are probably close to the same.

Golly Gee I thought you would be shooting open by now! I muddled my way thru 6 different open guns, then completely remodeled 3, after almost 2 years of what I will call learning, I had my local smith build a gun to my specifications with parts I supplied, now I am a happy camper. Point is I had to know what my preference and style were before I knew what to have built. I gave up open for a while and went back to Limited but now that I have the gun that works for me, I'm sticking with it.

For a new open shooter, I'd recommend getting a good used gun, get some rounds under your belt pay your dues, make sure you are in fact an open shooter. I've seen lots of shooters try open to find out that it didn't rock their world and that is where all of these used open guns come from. It looks easy but so does Limited.

In 38Super and that is the easiest gun to keep running and actually cheaper to shoot than 9 major there are a lot of good builders, in 9 major the herd thins out a bit, Jim Anglin when it comes to 9 major. Of the big name Builders guns I have shot, the Benny Hill guns have all been very good (38S), They fit my style of shooting but are heavier than my guns, I like a light weigh gun, you on the other hand might prefer more weight.

A couple of decades ago we had the IROC all equally prepared stock cars, well as much as they tried to make them the same some were better, I have 3 near identical guns, each shoots just a bit different, enough you can tell it. Its the nature of the beast. Try to shoot some, when you find one that is comfortable for you to shoot snag one like it.

In the off the shelf guns, take a look at the Match Master. Then again I like a skinney gun that I can drive fast, even if it bucks a bit, long as I can track the dot.

Golly Gee I thought you would be shooting open by now! I muddled my way thru 6 different open guns, then completely remodeled 3, after almost 2 years of what I will call learning, I had my local smith build a gun to my specifications with parts I supplied, now I am a happy camper. Point is I had to know what my preference and style were before I knew what to have built. I gave up open for a while and went back to Limited but now that I have the gun that works for me, I'm sticking with it.

For a new open shooter, I'd recommend getting a good used gun, get some rounds under your belt pay your dues, make sure you are in fact an open shooter. I've seen lots of shooters try open to find out that it didn't rock their world and that is where all of these used open guns come from. It looks easy but so does Limited.

In 38Super and that is the easiest gun to keep running and actually cheaper to shoot than 9 major there are a lot of good builders, in 9 major the herd thins out a bit, Jim Anglin when it comes to 9 major. Of the big name Builders guns I have shot, the Benny Hill guns have all been very good (38S), They fit my style of shooting but are heavier than my guns, I like a light weigh gun, you on the other hand might prefer more weight.

A couple of decades ago we had the IROC all equally prepared stock cars, well as much as they tried to make them the same some were better, I have 3 near identical guns, each shoots just a bit different, enough you can tell it. Its the nature of the beast. Try to shoot some, when you find one that is comfortable for you to shoot snag one like it.

In the off the shelf guns, take a look at the Match Master. Then again I like a skinney gun that I can drive fast, even if it bucks a bit, long as I can track the dot.

38S cheaper to shoot than 9mm major? How so? I don't buy the whole the brass can be used more times thing. The majority of matches (around here anyway) and most major matches are lost brass matches. Leaving 9mm brass lay means nothing. Leaving 38S brass lay would be painful.

I can't speak for Dan's guns because I have never owned one. I have a MacLearn open gun in 9mm Major and it runs 100% and has since day 1. The fit and finish are excellent as well. It also has probably the best trigger I have ever felt in any gun. Hope this helps.

38S cheaper to shoot than 9mm major? How so? I don't buy the whole the brass can be used more times thing. The majority of matches (around here anyway) and most major matches are lost brass matches. Leaving 9mm brass lay means nothing. Leaving 38S brass lay would be painful.

Having shot both I can only speak from my expierence, over 3 years I retrieved 95% of my brass,(no grass on these Drought striken ranges in central Texas) and actually built my stash of 38SC brass from the original 2k to more than 5K. I run my 38SC thru a CasePro and shoot it till it splits, more than 20 times, estimated. I've spent more on 9 mm brass (used) in one year than I spent on 38SC in 3 years, excluding the cost of Dykem to mark it. I don't miss hunting for the brass and I have more time to RO and take care of my equipment at a match. My 9 major guns shoot softer and flatter than my 38SC rigs, however, they require more maintenance and attention to keep them running 100%, and it took more to get them to 100%. 9 mm brass goes thru the CasePro loaded and left behind. For a Noob the 38S or 38SC is going to be easier to keep running and easier to work up a good load.

For what it is worth:

I bought a used open custom STI 38SC 3 years ago. Shot it for two years & then decided that I wanted another gun for steel plate. So what I did was have a new complete top end built in 9mm minor. Now all I do is switch upper & change out the mag guts. Both run a 100 % so far (knock on wood). Had the 9mm top end built the way I wanted it. I'm happy. Have two custom open guns that cost me less than one brand new custom open gun.

I do not have anything against hyprids in 38sc anymore but I am thinking of going 9 major now. Everything I read here says you will have a hard time making major or at least very limiting on loads,and it appears a lot of people are against them for 9major. Matt uses the same hybrid barrel for 9major. Matt shoots only 38sc, personaly, so he is going to find some loads from his customers that run his 9major guns.