Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lead load for .45acp

Jayson

Looking for info on loads for 230gn lead round nose using tite group powder. looking for accuracy, minor and major. I would also like to know what OAL and what crimp you are using. The gun is a Kimber Eclipse custom II. Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for info on loads for 230gn lead round nose using tite group powder. looking for accuracy, minor and major. I would also like to know what OAL and what crimp you are using. The gun is a Kimber Eclipse custom II. Thanks in advance

Uncaoted lead with TG will likely smoke pretty bad. Can't help you with the load. I have only used 200gr with Clays and Solo 1K.

I suspect that Titegroup may work more efficiently with jacketed bullets, possibly because they offer more resistance going down the barrel. Like many others, I get a cloud of smoke, and a gun covered with grey soot when I use TG with cast bullets. It really doesn't seem to matter what the caliber is. I have noticed that jacketed loads are a lot cleaner. I haven't done any hard core load development to prove this theory, but it seems plausible. Perhaps, some day, when I have nothing to do...

Bullet Weight Powder Weight Velocity Start/Max PowerFactor COL

L-RN"BlackBullet" 230 TiteGroup 3.6 IndoorIDPA 0 1.247

L-RN 230 TiteGroup 4.0 751 Start 173 1.200

swaged L-RN 230 TiteGroup 4.2 750 Start 173

L-RN 230 TiteGroup 4.3 796 Start 183

L-RN 230 TiteGroup 4.6 0

L-RN 230 TiteGroup 4.8 855 Max 197 1.200

L-RN 230 TiteGroup 4.8 870 Max 200

L-RN 230 TiteGroup 5.0 870 200

RCBS45-231-CMRNFP 230 TiteGroup 5.0 884 203

swaged L-RN 230 TiteGroup 5.3 900 Max 207

Tough to do with TG....You want a softer recoil I would go to a slower powder. TG is to smokey for me with lead and way to snappy. You could play around with springs but a slower powder would be better for the speeds and bullet weight you are using IMO.

I ran some through my chrono with an average of 809 fps with 4.6gn of TG. i am wondering how I can reduce the recoil and still keep the speed? Thanks

Those numbers are the same as mine (805.9pfs).

I don't like TG with lead bullets, but have found that 4.4gr/Bullseye gave me 770.4fps and is a good shooter.

• 3 months later...

I ran some through my chrono with an average of 809 fps with 4.6gn of TG. i am wondering how I can reduce the recoil and still keep the speed? Thanks

I don't like TG with lead bullets, but have found that 4.4gr/Bullseye gave me 770.4fps and is a good shooter.

Same here. I've run TG w/ 230gr, but run 3.9-4.2gr of BE now.

• 5 weeks later...

I am using quick load program with 4 gr of clays and it says that it is an unsafe load. it exceeds maximum pressure by a large amount. does this look right to anybody? it is a 230 gr. lrn at a col of 1.245. It just does not jive with any load manuels. Thanks

post-31993-0-65051200-1316904730_thumb.j

Edited by Jayson

I am using quick load program with 4 gr of clays and it says that it is an unsafe load. it exceeds maximum pressure by a large amount. does this look right to anybody? it is a 230 gr. lrn at a col of 1.245. It just does not jive with any load manuels. Thanks

Hodgdon's online data says that 4.0 is max at 1.200 OAL which by all rights should be measurably higher pressure than 1.245 OAL, but it just depends on the specific bullet ogive. So I would say that no it doesn't look right initially, but that is also jacketed data you posted, so it may well be correct. This is why we work our loads up cautiously.

The jacketed load is the factory starting point (no lead bullets in the program) but the numbers for a lead load were inserted. IE changed the starting pressure and bullet diameter and overal length. If i start with 3.5 grains it is still over the max pressure. Thanks

Oh wow. I didn't notice that, I just saw the Sierra bullet listing and part number for you bullet selection. That's pretty cool that you can change the values. But if you do, does the program lose it's ability to calculate the pressure curve accurately? If you changed the starting pressure how did you come up with the value? I ask because I've been thinking about buying that software for some time and seeing your posted screenshot makes me even more interested. Looks like a lot of fun to play with.

I don't know anything about the computer program, but I do know that 4.0gr CLAYS and 230 bullets, jacketed or LRN, has been a staple load for most everyone I know shooting .45 for the past 18 years + and NO ONE has ever shown pressure signs or had any problems with that load as long as there is no bullet set back..... :ph34r:

DougC

Shadowrider, in the initial start pressure box there is a drop down menu, I just picked the lead start load pressure. Every other bullet i have made using this program comes up almost dead on when shooting through a chrono. I know lots of people have shot this load I am just mind boggled at the screen shot. I am wondering if there is a problem with this particular load make up in the software. If anybody knows please let me know. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Why do all the .45 230 RN loads I see show an OAL of < 1.245"?? 1.200" ... what shape bullet is THAT??

All the 230 RN bullets I have used (Montana Gold, Rainier, Berry's, Bullet Works) can't load to 1.200 without a gap at the mouth.

What happened to loading to 1.260" OAL? Anyone have a good Major Power Factor load for 1.260"?

Why do all the .45 230 RN loads I see show an OAL of < 1.245"?? 1.200" ... what shape bullet is THAT??

All the 230 RN bullets I have used (Montana Gold, Rainier, Berry's, Bullet Works) can't load to 1.200 without a gap at the mouth.

What happened to loading to 1.260" OAL? Anyone have a good Major Power Factor load for 1.260"?

I load all of my 45ACP to 1.250"

230gr Bayou Bullet

4.4gr/TiteGroup

PF = 180

230gr CMJ

4.6gr/TiteGroup

PF = 166

230gr LRN

4.6gr/TiteGroup

PF = 185

230gr LRN

4.8gr/Bullseye

PF = 194

230gr LRN

4.4gr/Bullseye

PF = 177

The last 3 loads, with the LRN, are very smokey. You don't want to use these in a night match with flashlights.

• 2 weeks later...

4.2 Solo 1000

230 gr Bear Creek moly

WLP primer

Mixed cases

1.240 OAL

172 PF out of a 5" Springfield.

14 lb recoil spring, no buffer.

VERY close in all respects to a Clays load,

but just a little bit softer.

Agreed

My load (with my old fast jug of Solo) was 4.3gr at 1.255 with a BBI 230gr moly.

It's very soft, very little smoke and dead nuts accurate!

For me, the margin for 230gr LRN+Clays going from major to flattened primers was kindof small, a few tenths of powder. I could never get 800 fps with that combination. Major, yes, but not a ball equivalent load. Titegroup took a few more tenths to make major, and was a little more snappy, but was able to make ball loads, if I wanted. Its just that 230gr+Clays+barely major feels pretty soft.