Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has Midway USA went nuts?

Midway was notorious for extremely high shipping charges some years back. They got thier shipping inline for the last 2-3 years. I hope they are not getting crazy with shipping charges again. I have not noticed an increase with other suppliers. If you can have it shipped by the USPS it is much cheaper and usually is handled better and arrives sooner.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironic timing for this thread. I just had a recent experience with Midway on this very topic. My email back and forth to them follows below, but I'll give you the summary of the order:

2 boxes of 25 IPSC targets $11.74 each = 23.48. They then added $3 Handling fee, and $26.23 for shipping!

On the other hand, Shooters connection wants $49 for 100 targets, and they will charge $15.92 for shipping.

So, double the weight, at half the cost.

I naturally didn't hit send on the Midway order. But i left the items in my cart and forgot about it. Couple of days later I got an email from Midway asking why I didn't finish the order, and if there was anything they could do. LOL, yeah, I got something to say. Normally I would have just deleted, but this time I felt like responding. I felt I was polite, but got my point across. Doesn't seem like a form letter response, but clearly they aren't getting the message that I'm taking my business elsewhere.

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 11:00 AM, MidwayUSA Customer Service < customerservice@midwayusa.com> wrote:

Hello Glenn,

Just a reminder, you did not complete your order at MidwayUSA.com. We want to make sure we do everything we can to help. If there was a problem on our end, or there is any way we can help, just let us know by replying to this email.

Thanks for Your Business,

Larry Potterfield,

Founder and CEO of MidwayUSA

Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 12:48 PM

To: MidwayUSA Customer Service

Subject: Re: MidwayUSA.com would like your feedback...

I didn't submit the order because I felt the shipping charges were outrageous. I love MidwayUSA and purchase from you often, but the shipping charges on this order seemed excessive to me.

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 1:52 PM, MidwayUSA Customer Service Customer.Service@midwayusa.com> wrote:

Dear Mr. Allan,

Thank you for your recent email. We add Postage, Handling & Insurance to all orders. These charges are calculated at the time the order is placed, based on the number of packages in the order, the weight and dimensions of each package, the dollar amount of the order (for insurance purposes only) and the shipping address. The shipping fee calculates for the in-stock items while backordered items have a separate shipping charge.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday throughFriday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT; Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. CT. You may also email us at customerservice@midwayusa.com.

Thanks for Your Business!

Cathey

MidwayUSA Customer Service

Sent: Monday, May 2, 2011 8:00 PM

I understand your response. However, you should know, that two other vendors are offering these same targets, in boxes of 100 ( double the order I was going to place with you ), and the shipping was half the cost. I'm not sure how they can ship a box that weighs twice as much, and charge half as much for shipping. Needless to say, they will get my business for the purchase.

Thank you,

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM, MidwayUSA Customer Service <Customer.Service@midwayusa.com> wrote:

Dear Glenn,

Thank you for your recent email regarding shipping costs. I apologize, but at this time we do not offer any price match guarantees for any of our products. We do offer:

" Regular monthly sales and Clearance items listed on our website at www.midwayusa.com

" Promotional emails with different sales and coupon codes

" A 32-page Monthly Sales Flyer (this can be sent via email or postal service)

We thank you for your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to share your opinion with us. Larry reviews our shipping options annually with his senior leadership team and your feedback is certainly appreciated and will go towards improving the process in the future.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT; Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. CT. You may also email us atcustomerservice@midwayusa.com.

Charlotte

Interesting ....... very pointed responses, yet they still don't seem to understand. Price dictates about 90% of what I buy.

Disapointing they can't get their prices in line with their competition. Especially when it's something a common carrier, not the vendor itself, is providing.

Edited by Chris Keen

Interesting ....... very pointed responses, yet they still don't seem to understand. Price dictates about 90% of what I buy.

Disapointing they can't get their prices in line with their competition. Especially when it's something a common carrier, not the vendor itself, is providing.

Maybe they don't get as good a rate from the shipper. Can't shippers like UPS and FEDEX charge different amounts based on your volume with them or something?

As an aside, do you have to have a dealer account to appreciate Brownell's? They always seem a little higher than others when I look. Haven't checked shipping though. (serious question not intended as a knock)

:unsure:

Edited by Surge

I too have stopped dealing with Midway. The so called shipping and handling charges are ridicules. Like Chris said. total price is the bottom line. I don't mind paying a reasonable charge, I feel that the additional is just additional profit. They can use all the excuses they want but I'm still not going to put somebody's kid through school with one sale. If they want my business they're going to have to back off the hidden charges.

Dude, shipping prices have gone up. So has gas. So has food, utilities, clothing, etc., etc. etc.

Shop around or get used to it.

I am not an idiot that lives in the darkest corner of a box Mr. Keen.

I didn't mean that to sound negative or derogatory ........ my apologies. Simply a sign of the times. :angry2:

I fear we will all have to "get used to it" sooner rather than later.

Inflation is back in style. <_<

That's cool, you're forgiven! I'm heading to FSCS this Sunday. Maybe I'll get to meet you in person?

A few years ago I noticed the shipping at MidwayUSA was way too much. I remembed their "Fair and Honest" shipping. So I called them and asked them what ever happened to their "Fair and Honest Shipping". I can't remember the response, but they used to only charge for actual shipping costs. Ask them about "Fair and Honest Shipping!"

I needed some tripp mags or check-mate mags. I looked at one place who charges based on cost of product and it just raises the price of the items, even though mags are light and small. I ordered some other items from speedshooterspecialties and he shipped me some small items for cost of shipping.....like $2.19. MidwayUSA has some fancy order picking and boxing setup and I am sure they are trying to pay for it in the shipping costs.

R

USPS....free boxes.

Flat rate fees. Nuff said.

Alot of companies are shipping with this method but jacking the price up. Truth be told, companies actually get shipping discounts due to volume. I also quit using Midway years ago for this exact reason.

I too have stopped dealing with Midway. The so called shipping and handling charges are ridicules. Like Chris said. total price is the bottom line. I don't mind paying a reasonable charge, I feel that the additional is just additional profit. They can use all the excuses they want but I'm still not going to put somebody's kid through school with one sale. If they want my business they're going to have to back off the hidden charges.

I went as far as to leave a message on Larry Potterfield's personal line. I stated his prices and his competitors prices for about 6 different items. I got back a nice email from the PR guy stating "hard times" and such. I have to take it with a grain of salt. I am no dummy when it comes to this stuff, I run my own warehouse for god's sake! I know what shipping is and know the game. My customers pay what I am billed FYI. :sight:

My customers have commented on my shipping prices. They always wonder how I ship for half.

I understand Midway's perspectis. Build marketshare with low prices and customer service, then shoot for profits. You can't tell me that ANY of the shooting suppliers didn't make a killing when Obama was elected. I swear Obama's campain was sponsored by Winchester Ammunition and AAA Insurance.

They just use the normal excuses because they can. Did you know there are absolutely no federal or state regulations on calling a business "Green"? So, how did anyone become a "green" company? Another marketing scheme? To build marketshare? To increase profit?

We all stood on Midway's back because they were fair. We all told the new guy 'check out midwayusa.com'. Now they are standing on our backs, and I for one, have had enough. Treat me fairly, don't tread on me.

Edited by stringcheese

I still use Midway...got an order in today....but I shop wisely, using discounts to offset their shipping/handling/insurance...their service is great, as is Brownell's & Shooter's Connection...

Thanks for the links posted....I, like most have more time than money and will now have a wider shopping database

Ironic timing for this thread. I just had a recent experience with Midway on this very topic. My email back and forth to them follows below, but I'll give you the summary of the order:

2 boxes of 25 IPSC targets $11.74 each = 23.48. They then added $3 Handling fee, and $26.23 for shipping!

On the other hand, Shooters connection wants $49 for 100 targets, and they will charge $15.92 for shipping.

So, double the weight, at half the cost.

I naturally didn't hit send on the Midway order. But i left the items in my cart and forgot about it. Couple of days later I got an email from Midway asking why I didn't finish the order, and if there was anything they could do. LOL, yeah, I got something to say. Normally I would have just deleted, but this time I felt like responding. I felt I was polite, but got my point across. Doesn't seem like a form letter response, but clearly they aren't getting the message that I'm taking my business elsewhere.

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 11:00 AM, MidwayUSA Customer Service < customerservice@midwayusa.com> wrote:

Hello Glenn,

Just a reminder, you did not complete your order at MidwayUSA.com. We want to make sure we do everything we can to help. If there was a problem on our end, or there is any way we can help, just let us know by replying to this email.

Thanks for Your Business,

Larry Potterfield,

Founder and CEO of MidwayUSA

Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 12:48 PM

I didn't submit the order because I felt the shipping charges were outrageous. I love MidwayUSA and purchase from you often, but the shipping charges on this order seemed excessive to me.

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 1:52 PM, MidwayUSA Customer Service Customer.Service@midwayusa.com> wrote:

Dear Mr. Allan,

Thank you for your recent email. We add Postage, Handling & Insurance to all orders. These charges are calculated at the time the order is placed, based on the number of packages in the order, the weight and dimensions of each package, the dollar amount of the order (for insurance purposes only) and the shipping address. The shipping fee calculates for the in-stock items while backordered items have a separate shipping charge.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday throughFriday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT; Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. CT. You may also email us at customerservice@midwayusa.com.

Cathey

Sent: Monday, May 2, 2011 8:00 PM

I understand your response. However, you should know, that two other vendors are offering these same targets, in boxes of 100 ( double the order I was going to place with you ), and the shipping was half the cost. I'm not sure how they can ship a box that weighs twice as much, and charge half as much for shipping. Needless to say, they will get my business for the purchase.

Thank you,

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM, MidwayUSA Customer Service <Customer.Service@midwayusa.com> wrote:

Dear Glenn,

Thank you for your recent email regarding shipping costs. I apologize, but at this time we do not offer any price match guarantees for any of our products. We do offer:

" Regular monthly sales and Clearance items listed on our website at www.midwayusa.com

" Promotional emails with different sales and coupon codes

" A 32-page Monthly Sales Flyer (this can be sent via email or postal service)

We thank you for your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to share your opinion with us. Larry reviews our shipping options annually with his senior leadership team and your feedback is certainly appreciated and will go towards improving the process in the future.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT; Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. CT. You may also email us atcustomerservice@midwayusa.com.

Charlotte

I received the same letter, verbatum. When I had a rough spell I hired in as Tracker Marine's parts manager under the Bass Pro Shops umbrella. I can tell you that BPS's Fedex account is so huge that their shipping cost half of what I pay in my new (2 year old) warehouse, I ship about $3500 monthly through fedex. I imagine Midways account is similar to BPS's

Edited by stringcheese

With Midway, I usually let my wishlist get longer before I order them, to justify the shipping charges and avoid the special handling fee. Items I needed quick I check with my LGS if they have it first.

+1 with Shooter's Connection. I've had great positive experience with them, I usually call in my order and talk to Mike who is very helpful in answering all my questions since I'm a new Open gun shooter. They ship fast and provides you with a tracking number.

BTW, I just ordered two Dillon XL650 and accessories thru Dillon, shipping was $184.00 by a slow boat to Hawaii. Ouch!!

I just placed a small $38 order with Midway yesterday. It consisted of a couple cleaning brushes, a mag coupler and a safety flag set. They charged me $4.44 for shipping, handling and insurance. I did notice it went out USPS 1st class though instead of Priority.

They do understand -- and they are making money with their current business practices. I'm assuming that Midway is a much larger company than Shooter's Connections -- though I'm sure that Chuck, Mike, et al. are doing all they can every day to change that. Dealing with a smaller company can actually benefit a consumer -- because often they can be more flexible than a larger outfit.

I know when I was buying targets for the club match I used to run, Chuck got my business -- in large part because his shipped price beat everyone else's and because it was actually a good enough deal on the entire order, that having Chuck ship the order KY-NJ was perhaps $50 more expensive than taking a one hour one way drive in NJ and picking targets up locally.

When Chuck got into the target business, I do believe that one of the first things he figured out was how to ship them economically....

One of the lessons I learned from working for a guy who built a multi-million dollar camera store out of a $50,000 credit line was that business isn't personal. The buyer is trying to sell a product for a price that will keep him in business -- he knows what he needs to charge, for the item for shipping and handling, he knows what the benefits and risks are in changing any component of the business. The buyer knows what he is willing and able to pay -- what the item is worth to him. When those two things are in alignment, a deal is struck. When they are not, the buyer cannot afford to buy, and the seller cannot afford to sell -- it's not personal, it's just business....

Midway has changed their website quite a bit as far as the ordering process is concerned. One does have the option of choosing what type of shipping he/she wants depending on the item(s) ordered of course. I recently ordered a decapping die from them and was only given the option of UPS Ground or USPS Priority ($10.95) which is excessive because the die could have been sent in the cheapest flat-rate priority box for a lot less than $11. There wasn't an option for 1st Class mail which would have been even cheaper! I try to find the items elsewhere before I check Midway and will only order from them as a last resort. Who knows whether Larry will get the message or not?

As a computer guy, reading those responses you got from Midway looks like a clever Eliza algorithm. I'm not actually sure if you were email back and forth with a real person or an automated system, so I guess yay for Turing Tests!

box, tape, business fees are called overhead and should be factored into the price, saying an item is one price then tacking on "handling charges at the last minute is deceitful. Sorta why I canceled an order at bladetech, two mag pouches that would fit in a $4.95 free post office provided box and I think they wanted to charge me $12 shipping. Uh nope dont think so.

I try not to buy with midway unless I have a promo code or coupon handy. Their prices aren't that great and it takes a long time for me to het my stuff for some reason. I get impatient easily with shipping. If they are going to charge me crazy mats for shipping then I would like to have it at my door within a week. I guess I'm spoiled by amazon prime b/c they ship for free and it gets to me within 2 days.

I try to stay away from midway as much as possible but sometimes they are the only vendors that have an item in stock.

box, tape, business fees are called overhead and should be factored into the price, saying an item is one price then tacking on "handling charges at the last minute is deceitful. Sorta why I canceled an order at bladetech, two mag pouches that would fit in a $4.95 free post office provided box and I think they wanted to charge me $12 shipping. Uh nope dont think so.

So you'd be o.k. with paying a brick and mortars business more for each item, so that those folks who have their merchandise shipped can enjoy the benefits of shipping related costs being spread over both the walk-in and mail order trade?

Having been at the other end of this -- shipping high end camera gear to customers -- we found the USPS to be significantly less reliable than UPS, while simultaneously being more difficult to work with on claims. We decided to ship UPS only, no option for USPS. Did we lose some sales? Perhaps, but we were more profitable, with less headache, and most of our customers received the merchandise they ordered in a timely fashion.

That last point's important too -- everyone seems to hate waiting on stuff to arrive....

I do use Midway and some other great companies mentioned here. At least with Midway- we get the estimates before placing the order... if it 's bad I'll go elsewhere if possible. The special handling charges make me insane though. It's like they are saying to me: "We don't want to bother with your small order but we'll take it for some extra money."

I will wait until I have a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff before I order from Midway. The shipping charges are about the same for a small order as they are for a large order in my experience. Its hard to beat their selection and speed of delivery.

On another note, I ordered a small part from Canyon Creek a month or so back and the checkout said shipping would be 5 or 6 dollars. I needed the part so I completed my order. Later I got a shipping notice and Rich had reduced the shipping charge down to about 2 dollars. I was very impressed by that. I dont think that had ever happened to me before.

The flat rate boxes from USPS are terrific to use.....but not all businesses can use them, depending on how their shipping is set up. Its not always as easy as people think.

(This is NOT me standing up for Midway in anyway B) )

Dude, shipping prices have gone up. So has gas. So has food, utilities, clothing, etc., etc. etc.

Shop around or get used to it.

I am not an idiot that lives in the darkest corner of a box Mr. Keen.

I didn't mean that to sound negative or derogatory ........ my apologies. Simply a sign of the times. :angry2:

I fear we will all have to "get used to it" sooner rather than later.

Inflation is back in style. <_<

I think it could possibly, maybe have something to do with zero percent interest rates and the amount of money printed daily :roflol: Anyway, I've gotten used to looking hard locally to avoid shipping lately, it has really gone up. Midway still is a good place to get a lot of things, especially because they're good about keeping stock. Sites with great prices and never in stock are just an irritation to be avoided.